Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2233 2234 [2235] 2236 2237 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4204233 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #33510 on: December 01, 2019, 02:37:56 pm »

There are already tax credits for owning an electric car, but yeah, that's not quite the same deal as a trade-in.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33511 on: December 01, 2019, 03:39:01 pm »

We're also assuming people are acting rationally. If there were a government program to help people purchase eco-friendly vehicles, you know the day after launch there would be a hundred thousand Youtube videos with some wheezing Boomer in aviators and camo pants screaming about how he bought one of those commie cuckmobiles just to #triggerthelibs by filling it with gasoline and endangered species, then shooting it until it catches fire. Just like they did with the ex-NRA stuff. It seems destroying their own things is just...how conservatives express malaise now.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #33512 on: December 01, 2019, 03:57:13 pm »

Not now, conservative boomers have never had a mode of existence outside smiling smugly down as they did something destructive. It's just that they don't have any children left to abuse, so they take it out on brands and also the entirety of society through political violence.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #33513 on: December 01, 2019, 04:27:33 pm »

It's just that they don't have any children left to abuse, so they take it out on brands and also the entirety of society through political violence.
History of mankind expressed in a sentence

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33514 on: December 01, 2019, 04:30:12 pm »

There are government incentives in Norway for electric cars. The first and foremost is that the annual automobile tax/fee/whatever is waived for electrics, another one is the quirk of legally letting electric cars drive in the bus lane.

The funny thing here is that the incentives worked a little too well, and the government ended up with problems of making considerably less car tax money and a bunch of new electrics clogging up the bus lane and slowing down public transit. So they revoked the bus lane law. Which caused an uproar. So they put it back.

Norwegian gov't is funny at times.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #33515 on: December 01, 2019, 04:33:49 pm »

I cannot tell you how bleak it is to watch as libs about-face to supporting replacing destructive gasoline cars with similarly destructive electric cars and agitate against mass transit. I hate to say it, but rightists are actually more consistent in their version of car religion, at least being a gasoline hardliner is in line with their principle of pillaging the Earth to ensure no future generation can have it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33516 on: December 01, 2019, 04:39:22 pm »

The thing about electric cars is that electricity can come from renewable sources too. Wind power and solar power, hydroelectric power. Electricity doesn’t have to be from burning fossil fuels.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #33517 on: December 01, 2019, 05:43:46 pm »

I cannot tell you how bleak it is to watch as libs about-face to supporting replacing destructive gasoline cars with similarly destructive electric cars and agitate against mass transit. I hate to say it, but rightists are actually more consistent in their version of car religion, at least being a gasoline hardliner is in line with their principle of pillaging the Earth to ensure no future generation can have it.

Don't assume that it's possible to have mass transit everywhere. I'd love to ensure that cities have mass transit, but for rural areas it's far more difficult, except for long trips. For short trips, electric cars are the best option from an ecological perspective.

And electrics are way, way better than ICE cars for sustainability. Not sure why you think otherwise.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33518 on: December 01, 2019, 07:43:04 pm »

And also: Aren't the generators that produce the power that electric cars use absurdly more efficient than the ICE

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #33519 on: December 01, 2019, 08:17:09 pm »

We're also assuming people are acting rationally. If there were a government program to help people purchase eco-friendly vehicles, you know the day after launch there would be a hundred thousand Youtube videos with some wheezing Boomer in aviators and camo pants screaming about how he bought one of those commie cuckmobiles just to #triggerthelibs by filling it with gasoline and endangered species, then shooting it until it catches fire. Just like they did with the ex-NRA stuff. It seems destroying their own things is just...how conservatives express malaise now.
More pointedly, we've seen trade-in program in the US go pretty poorly already, though I can't remember the where or when... want to say there was something unfortunate in the 90s somewhere in the south east, but hell if I actually know. Not a reason to not roll with something like that, but there's lessons to have learned before trying again.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33520 on: December 01, 2019, 08:34:36 pm »

More pointedly, we've seen trade-in program in the US go pretty poorly already, though I can't remember the where or when...

Obama era cash-for-clunkers?  It ruined a good bit of the used car market IIRC.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #33521 on: December 02, 2019, 12:30:03 am »

That could be it, I'unno. Might have been something earlier, want to say it was more clinton era than 'bama but I don't pay much attention to the car market so it coulda' been anywhere from bush 1 to obama.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33522 on: December 02, 2019, 05:29:24 am »

I'm having a bit of an argument with some conservatives. The topic is that American public libraries have worked out that by automatically forgiving late fees, they get more books back and it actually saves money for the libraries because it was costing them more to pay the fine-enforcers than the actually money retrieved in fines. So, you have an amnesty and tons of people come in to drop off books that they were holding because they couldn't afford the fines, which keep growing as a result. (the article noted some library which spent $1 million on debt collectors to collect $600K in fines).

The conservative commentators are all "it's liberalism gone mad" about waiving late fees. So ... punishing people because "rules are rules" is more important than actually saving money and delivering a better service? So "punish the late book returners. rules are rules. damn the costs" seems to be the position. We set the rules, they are arbitrary. If the rules are counter-productive then the rules should be changed.

I've noticed conservatives quite often react like that, any time a punishment is removed, even if the punishment is shown to be counter-productive they're up in arms about it. One example was when Alabama brought in make-up exams rather than just failing students outright they were up in arms about it "liberalism gone mad" apparently, to give a second chance to pass a class. Oh right, so if you fail calculus you should be permanently labeled as "he failed calculus" rather than being given a chance to try again? What do they think the point of having an education is. Hint: it's not to divide people into "pass" and "fail" groups.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 05:31:57 am by Reelya »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33523 on: December 02, 2019, 05:55:41 am »

While this guy has a controversial reputation, he's got the gist of it here Reelya.  Your conservative friends are just less capable of explaining their feelings as he is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF-bXNQ4wzs

When you give amnesty and second chances, it dilutes the "achievement" sensation of those that achieved, which reduces the perceived benefit of that accomplishment, leaving only the suffering required to get there.  In effect, it dilutes the feeling of accomplishment, promoting feelings of resentment.

The conservative mindset assumes that everyone will think this way, and so the actions of the liberal demographic to try to make everyone equal is seen as demeaning to those that (successfully) accomplish, and granting meaningless boons to those that do not.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 05:57:14 am by wierd »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33524 on: December 02, 2019, 06:57:30 am »

Not friends, Americans online. Australians never say "liberalism gone mad" since it means economic liberals here (the Liberal Party of Australia are the conservatives).
Pages: 1 ... 2233 2234 [2235] 2236 2237 ... 3566