Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2008 2009 [2010] 2011 2012 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4202074 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #30135 on: May 06, 2019, 04:19:19 pm »

Not sure how it’d be lucky that the reprucussions will only trigger when a Democrat comes into office just so that we can blame the Democrat?
Because blaming a Republican would be inconceivable. (It's a joke)

-Since they are already in debt, they aren't taking more debt over homes or cars.-

-Another worrying sign is in car loans.-
Sounds like the problem's solving itself then!

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30136 on: May 06, 2019, 11:56:15 pm »

Student debt holders are also of age that its slowing down other major parts of the economy.  Since they are already in debt, they aren't taking more debt over homes or cars.  In general the younger generations are delaying life milestone of having a home, marrying, and having kids, not to mention retirement preparations.

That's not all debt-based, you know. Even those of us who are financially capable of owning homes or having kids just...don't want to.

I think a lot of it comes from being raised by a bunch of whiny, narcissistic sociopaths. All we heard growing up, from all the shows (and we were, many of us, raised by television) was how kids ruin your life and bankrupt you and take up all your time and aren't worth it, so we don't want any, especially given how often our parents screamed at us. Marriage, said the comedians, morphs your significant other into a horrible person with evil in-laws until you divorce and lose your stuff and pay them on top of it, so we don't want to do that either, especially those of us who watched our parents' marriages fall apart. Homes, too, are traps; they tie you to one place and make you obsess about gardening and property values and what goes on "under your roof" and turn you into, well, a Boomer.

Even laying aside what social media did to us, and is still doing to us, I think there's something to be said for millennials just listening while Boomers whined at each other, hearing "I hate you, I hate your siblings, I hate your other parent, I hate all your relatives, and everything we own and everyone we interact with just isn't good enough" and deciding not to do that.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #30137 on: May 07, 2019, 05:14:17 am »

If we're not buying houses, we're also sharing what little space we do have. Most folks I know with student debt in the city are usually seeking out roomates to split the bill with. I feel lucky to have my own hermit hole to myself; even if it isn't exactly spacious.

Kind of funny in a morbid way about student debt though. We've been complaining about it for years, and pretty soon it's going to become everyone's problem.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #30138 on: May 07, 2019, 10:52:40 am »

I mean, I believe that a healthy, well-educated workforce is an investment enough as is and that skyrocketting tuition prices are ridiculous.

There's a reason I'm almost completely a single issue voter on the subject. I refuse to vote for someone who doesn't have a strong stance on, at the very least, the elimination of the Student Loans racket. I'd much prefer they include some heavy publitization. Since, you know, not everyone can be a freakin' electrician or plumber and higher education should be a goal everyone should be able to acheive if they want.

((Look at all these choices I have under capitalism! It's a shame it's an illusion because they're all owned by a handful of parent corporations and also I can't afford any of them! Wow!!))

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30139 on: May 07, 2019, 10:57:15 am »

I mean, I believe that a healthy, well-educated workforce is an investment enough as is and that skyrocketting tuition prices are ridiculous.

There's a reason I'm almost completely a single issue voter on the subject. I refuse to vote for someone who doesn't have a strong stance on, at the very least, the elimination of the Student Loans racket. I'd much prefer they include some heavy publitization. Since, you know, not everyone can be a freakin' electrician or plumber and higher education should be a goal everyone should be able to acheive if they want.

((Look at all these choices I have under capitalism! It's a shame it's an illusion because they're all owned by a handful of parent corporations and also I can't afford any of them! Wow!!))

The problem being that "I hate poor people" is also a single-issue voter thing in the US (and too many other places), except the votes of people with money actually matter.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #30140 on: May 07, 2019, 11:03:13 am »

The worst part is that the people with money also convinced poor people to hate poor people. It's, to reclaim a meme, a real clown world out there.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30141 on: May 07, 2019, 02:29:20 pm »

What we used to have is this: choice.

Here there are both gov paid public and private owned education institutions that go from preeschool up to the higher tier.

There's a handful of carreers that are only found in either one or the other, like medicine wich is only taught in public universities.

Now, how it worked?

Public university: Regardless of you graduating either from a public or private high school, you needed to have really good grades to be automatically acepted on a public university. Each public institution would have a freshman quota for each career. Just before graduating highschool everyone did a vocational test, followed by an academic test in which among other things you could select 3 carrers in up to 3 different public universities.

If your average grades were spotless and your aptitude test was really good too you could get accepted automatically. That's it, if yoy were above the cut out from the quota. Oh also this quota had something like 60% graduates from public highschool and 40% from private ones.

This above only was to fill up a certain ammount of students all which invariably were exceptional academically.

The rest of the freshman quota was filled generally through internal admision tests. I entered this way, ranking 32 among 3000 applicants for that career (electronic engineering). Only the top 60 were acepted that year.

If you failed enough classes or lost two semesters in a row (some unis had slight different rules). You were out and needed to reapply the next year or banned for x ammount of semesters or forver, again, some had different rules.

You had to pay what was basically token payments mosly to cover part of the administration expenses but also most equipment  (generally books and a scientific calculator) were on you. You could borrow books on a library but not take them out so most people just bougth photocopies of them ( copyrigths be dam).

Private universities: You showed up with the money and papers and that's it. Of course, you also needed to have the luck of having an open spot for the carreer, whoever if enough people was trying to enter the same career that was already filled they simply opened up another slot for a new batch of students, hired another few teachers or assigned extra classes to the ones already working and that was it. There were ranges on prices some were ultra expensive, others were midlly expensive, others were really cheap comparatively but still expensive. In some private universities if you managed to have perfect or almost perfect grades you could ask for a partial or total grant.

I ended up graduating as a tech from one of this as I needed to work and the public uni really didn't allowed you the time or flexibility to accommodate your scheduled around workhours.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #30142 on: May 07, 2019, 06:19:47 pm »

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/05/07/us/politics/donald-trump-taxes.html

The New York Times got ahold of some of Trump's taxes. Not the recent stuff which would potentially show naughty dealings with foreign governments, but taxes from the 80's and 90's. Essentially, he lost more than a billion dollars and thus didn't have to pay any taxes. He only managed to stay afloat by borrowing massive sums of cash from various sources.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30143 on: May 07, 2019, 06:26:50 pm »

I... think that's old news? Just reiterated for current events.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30144 on: May 07, 2019, 06:29:29 pm »

The difference is the tax returns, maybe? I mean we all knew about the specific failed businesses, but I think he's been trying to spin it as "Yeah but I still made tons of money".

This seems to prove that he did literally nothing but lose money during those times. Also he lost more than double the amount of the next guy down, making him the actual, literal worst businessman of the era.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #30145 on: May 07, 2019, 06:48:15 pm »

I... think that's old news? Just reiterated for current events.

You're probably thinking of last year when NYT got ahold of Trump's father's taxes, and exposed the many fraudulent practices that he engaged in.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30146 on: May 07, 2019, 09:02:17 pm »

No, I'm thinking of two years ago when there were partial 2005 and 1995 tax returns found and published.

See: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2017/03/14/heres-what-we-know-about-trumps-tax-returns/99192032/

EDIT: So it looks like they dug deeper and just found out the leadup to that 1995 tax info. It's interesting.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 09:10:37 pm by sluissa »

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30147 on: May 07, 2019, 09:39:39 pm »

In addition to the present federal tax fracas, New York is closer to passing a bill to let them get his state returns.

It won't matter, of course. Anyone still supporting Trump has long since stopped acknowledging reality. But the schadenfreude is nice.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #30148 on: May 08, 2019, 07:03:38 am »

One of my F’book friends posted that meme about “Curt” Cobain saying once his generation has matured, they’ll vote for someone sensible, like a business tycoon, like Trump.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30149 on: May 08, 2019, 07:57:01 am »

One of my F’book friends posted that meme about “Curt” Cobain saying once his generation has matured, they’ll vote for someone sensible, like a business tycoon, like Trump.

I mean, that's what you get for using Facebook still. Anyone who isn't terrible left Facebook a decade ago.
Pages: 1 ... 2008 2009 [2010] 2011 2012 ... 3566