Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1964 1965 [1966] 1967 1968 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4206447 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #29475 on: April 06, 2019, 09:38:51 pm »

You know? For what a NASA nerd I was only three or four years ago, I couldn't even give a god damn about big space exploration projects anymore. It's not even remotely important for our circumstances. We suffer on Earth, as Earth collapses around us, while the state gets to claim the beauty of space to take more lives and build propaganda. Nah, count me out.

I scoffed at them before but all the anti-space positions were completely right after all. It's no wonder Trump is attracted, with how vain it is.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29476 on: April 06, 2019, 10:43:33 pm »

Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29477 on: April 06, 2019, 10:48:16 pm »

I understand the sentiment of "Sure, we're impoverished and need healthcare, but we got somebody on the moon!", but the delivery of that message is unacceptably racist in that clip. When you have to make your argument be intrinsically about race, instead of how unacceptable your condition is, you are only making the problem of race tension worse.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 10:50:00 pm by wierd »

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #29478 on: April 07, 2019, 12:28:12 am »

Besides, the argument that we could spend the resources here on Earth better is demonstratably false: We have the funds, and we're here on Earth, but they're not going to things like helping the poor. They're going to things like shooting brown people who don't want to sell us oil, or a celebrities private jet so they don't have to fly business class, or to plating the Oval Office in gold because the current resident has a small penis and feels inferior about it. And a lot of what goes to the poor isn't very effective; we already spend a good 50% of the budget or more on various varieties of social services, and people are still starving and homeless in places. 10 billion dollars isn't enough to fix that; but it's enough to put boots on the moon, and give people something to look up to and say "we did that".

And we can spin it as a long-term investment with high returns for the rich without even lying, so hopefully they won't feel compelled to stop it like they might aid for the unfortunate. After all, it would fellate their ego to be able to walk on the Moon "for cheap".
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29479 on: April 07, 2019, 02:50:50 am »

10 billion dollars isn't enough to fix that; but it's enough to put boots on the moon, and give people something to look up to and say "we did that".

Sure they could. As a counter-proposal, I say we buy ten billion dollars of garbage and put it in a big pile in the middle of the country and set it on fire, so everyone can literally look up to the President Donald J. Trump Literal Flaming Mountain of Garbage and say "we did that." They can go see it, too, and roast Trump steaks over it and breathe in its heady fumes. Can't do that with a Moon base.

It'd even be a more accurate statement than the space equivalent. After all, the vast majority of Americans have nothing whatsoever to do with space exploration and happily say "we" went to the Moon anyway with perhaps a twinge of guilt in their more introspective moments -- but with my plan, every time they take out the trash they can say with pride that we, all of us, built the President Donald J. Trump Literal Flaming Mountain of Garbage.

Now, to be sure, the garbage pile doesn't help anyone but a very few, but neither does a Moon base, at least not without a more defined purpose than anyone's provided thus far; it might make some rich people richer selling refined regolith or something, but the average American does not tangibly benefit from either one. We can of course pontificate about how it's our future as a species and an expression of qualities inherent to the American spirit -- but, truth be told, a staggeringly expensive self-created ecological catastrophe with no real point is probably a more honest self-portrait.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #29480 on: April 07, 2019, 06:59:08 am »

Don't we already have those, though? Landfills are a thing, and I'm pretty sure some of them involve fire.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #29481 on: April 07, 2019, 07:33:48 am »

You know? For what a NASA nerd I was only three or four years ago, I couldn't even give a god damn about big space exploration projects anymore. It's not even remotely important for our circumstances. We suffer on Earth, as Earth collapses around us, while the state gets to claim the beauty of space to take more lives and build propaganda. Nah, count me out.

I scoffed at them before but all the anti-space positions were completely right after all. It's no wonder Trump is attracted, with how vain it is.
I used to be an ultra space exploration skeptic a while ago. But TBH I take a middle of the ground POV nowadays. I see space exploration is blue sky research, which is not bad in itself. I'd still favor more-or-less agenda-driven research esp in the fields that interest me, but allocating resources to not immediatedly useful things might result in unexpected, unpredictable benefits.

I think talking about space colonies is less of a scientific affair and more of propaganda stuff (impractical propaganda stuff, at that), though. I think space exploration "best bang for the buck" projects are the best way to go ATM
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29482 on: April 07, 2019, 08:05:05 am »

I used to be an ultra space exploration skeptic a while ago. But TBH I take a middle of the ground POV nowadays
Being in the middle of the ground is, like, the exact opposite of going to space.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #29483 on: April 07, 2019, 08:34:33 am »

I understand the sentiment of "Sure, we're impoverished and need healthcare, but we got somebody on the moon!", but the delivery of that message is unacceptably racist in that clip. When you have to make your argument be intrinsically about race, instead of how unacceptable your condition is, you are only making the problem of race tension worse.
The conditions of the racially oppressed are a consequence of them being a race that is oppressed. It doesn't just happen. When you tell people that they aren't allowed to give voice to their oppression you empower those who oppress them, who demand and rely upon a silent tension rather than a voiced one. The tension is there either way.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29484 on: April 07, 2019, 08:59:18 am »

Basically Trekkin doesn't like the idea of space exploration for reasons. Y'all've established that pretty well. Is there any other Ameripol stuff going on?
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #29485 on: April 07, 2019, 09:02:03 am »

Bernie endorsed the voting rights of prisoners, which because Democrats are useless is radical and out of frame.

Conservatives are complaining that AOC liked this article.

Nothing has happened with the Mueller report. The Joe Biden Rehabilitation Tour is ongoing.
No Gods, No Masters.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29486 on: April 07, 2019, 09:18:50 am »

This is one of those people who woke up from a comma but never fully recovered.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29487 on: April 07, 2019, 09:23:10 am »

Apostrophe.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29488 on: April 07, 2019, 09:29:15 am »

Apostrophe.

It felt like grammatical diarrhea in there. So many broken sentences.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #29489 on: April 07, 2019, 09:41:44 am »

I could read without issue, maybe because English isn't my mother language, so I have less expectations as to what is normal text.

I feel like they did it purposefully. There are no commas to give that impression of someone ralking fast for some stretches when going on a tangent. Overall, the prose is not awful, but not very good either.
In a time before time, I had a name.
Pages: 1 ... 1964 1965 [1966] 1967 1968 ... 3566