Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1898 1899 [1900] 1901 1902 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4208953 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #28485 on: February 20, 2019, 04:28:40 pm »

Rumors you may or may not have heard that the space ponies were comprised of post-it notes are unsubstantiated at best, and also total lies.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28486 on: February 20, 2019, 04:32:32 pm »

To borrow a quote from Putin, anyone who wasn't a libertarian when they were 14 has no heart. Anyone who's a libertarian long after has no brain.

Putin, of course, having borrowed it indirectly from Anselme Polycarpe Batbie, who credited Edmund Burke with it.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28487 on: February 20, 2019, 04:50:53 pm »

To borrow a quote from Putin, anyone who wasn't a libertarian when they were 14 has no heart. Anyone who's a libertarian long after has no brain.

Putin, of course, having borrowed it indirectly from Anselme Polycarpe Batbie, who credited Edmund Burke with it.

France is bacon
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28488 on: February 20, 2019, 05:32:45 pm »

France is bacon

*nods thoughtfully*
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28489 on: February 20, 2019, 06:39:34 pm »

France is bacon

*nods thoughtfully*

Anything or Anyone can be bacon. Energy and perseverance conquer all things.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #28490 on: February 20, 2019, 10:36:19 pm »

Spoiler: More Horsebeating (click to show/hide)

I do enjoy the answer to politicians who say the green new deal is impractical: "What 'practical' solutions to these problems have you enacted?"
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28491 on: February 21, 2019, 04:28:34 am »

I do enjoy the answer to politicians who say the green new deal is impractical: "What 'practical' solutions to these problems have you enacted?"
Maybe y'all should take a page out of Norway's book and open some new copper mines with ocean dumping rights so you can get the necessary copper to build an entirely insufficient number of wind turbines in the most difficult and mountainous terrain around, requiring vastly more explosives and asphalt to set up than on flat countryside.

That's a practical solution. It gets results.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #28492 on: February 21, 2019, 06:53:00 am »

I wonder if one could not use already established oil rig structures to base off-sea windmills on?
Love, scriver~

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28493 on: February 21, 2019, 07:17:50 am »

I wonder if one could not use already established oil rig structures to base off-sea windmills on?

They're probably not in the right places, not placed close together. Plus, the engineering costs to retrofit the oil rigs would probably be greater than just dropping in a new wind turbine somewhere else.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28494 on: February 21, 2019, 07:45:08 am »

wave powered generators might work though.  Off-shore oil rigs are just that-- off shore.  This means normal wave dynamics will be magnified as those waves get herded into shallower water. 

Say, something like what wave star has in its proposal literature.
http://wavestarenergy.com/concept

Since the design criteria for the stresses involved would be different (part of the process of converting the wave energy into electrical energy is exploitation of the DIFFERENCE in potentials between the platform and the waves bobbing around it--- meaning there would be transient stretch and torque forces being exerted on the support struts greater than what was allowed for in the design of an oil rig..) the struts would need to be reinforced and such.

However, if the cost of such reinforcement is less than the cost of demolition, it would be an attractive proposal.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 07:48:35 am by wierd »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #28495 on: February 21, 2019, 07:47:58 am »

Don’t be silly. That just makes too much sense for a politician to truly consider it reasonable.

No, abetted idea would be to put solar panels in the Arctic part of Norway, so it gets no sunlight in Winter, but all the sunlight in Summer.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28496 on: February 21, 2019, 08:03:58 am »

Don’t be silly. That just makes too much sense for a politician to truly consider it reasonable.

No, abetted idea would be to put solar panels in the Arctic part of Norway, so it gets no sunlight in Winter, but all the sunlight in Summer.

No No No.

Harvesting energy from ocean waves as they wash up into shallower water near the shore will be stonewalled by angry surfers and oceanologists, who will assert that it "totally ruins the waves, man-- they hardly rise at all when they hit the beach. Total bummer bro." and "the reduction of wave height will drastically impact ocean pool based ecosystems on the sea edge. In light of the already intense strain on ocean lifeforms from anthropogenic climate change, this increased stress, however well intentioned, is not something we feel is helpful to the current situation."

This will be the ONE, TOKEN moment that the conservatives in government will all band together and shout "SEE! Scientists think it's a bad idea, and it lacks regional support!"

Rest assured though, they will continue to ignore mountains of reports and data about the use of fossil fuels. :P

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28497 on: February 21, 2019, 08:15:35 am »

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #28498 on: February 21, 2019, 08:16:14 am »

It's times like this we wish Q could just give muons a slightly longer half-life so we can have muon-powered cold fusion.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28499 on: February 21, 2019, 08:24:58 am »

That would have drastic consequences on the equilibrium of the sun.  Bad idea to ask for that.

However, in light of government people not understanding the concepts of oversight, environmentalism, nor science in general, I leave you with this tidbit.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2019/02/montana-legislator-introduces-bills-to-give-his-state-its-own-science/
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 08:36:55 am by wierd »
Pages: 1 ... 1898 1899 [1900] 1901 1902 ... 3566