Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1766 1767 [1768] 1769 1770 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4218601 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #26505 on: December 12, 2018, 08:43:01 pm »

What about this thread here, huh? Huh?!

You’re quite cleay trying to distract us from your Christmas smashing ways.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26506 on: December 12, 2018, 08:45:38 pm »

You’re quite cleay trying to distract us from your Christmas smashing ways.

Hey now, I didn't say me and Mrs. Claus don't have brunch, I said THIS isn't that kind of thread. I'm only human, sir.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26507 on: December 12, 2018, 10:39:29 pm »

Quite a few of the names on the moderation log have "advocating violence" next to them. You may want to step that down a little.
I LEARNED IT FROM WATCHING THEM!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #26508 on: December 13, 2018, 02:43:57 am »

Is Christmas conservative enough?

Thinkpiece: We're sending the wrong message to children that they're entitled to gifts.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #26509 on: December 13, 2018, 04:01:17 am »

Children only get presents if they've been good though.
Love, scriver~

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26510 on: December 13, 2018, 04:08:38 am »

That's not a thread, it's a string of Christmas lights.

Is Christmas conservative enough?

Thinkpiece: We're sending the wrong message to children that they're entitled to gifts.
I dunno, I think a flat payment of a non-refundable trinket with an MSRP of $20-$40 is an appropriate reward for an entire year's worth of chores and good behavior.

Tinsel: The Christmas Dating App. We've got a long list of names full of /naughtygirls and /niceguys, and you need to confirm your email twice.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26511 on: December 13, 2018, 05:09:31 am »

Tinsl, Shirley?

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26512 on: December 13, 2018, 12:25:18 pm »

Children only get presents if they've been good though.
Many parents are too limp-wristed to not go through with that threat, probably.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #26513 on: December 13, 2018, 01:03:04 pm »

Much as I'm for the transfer of wealth from the older generations to the younger generations, Christmas is kinda bullshit to parents.  You shouldn't feel guilty because your kid didn't get the new Nintendo console right when it came out.  Toy advertising in general is designed to make kids harass/guilt their parents into buying shit neither party needs.  So many parents are running around near Christmas legit desperate to find some specific thing.

Halloween is the same basic emotional journey (preparation > social interaction > gifts) but it uses something that kids love (candy) and can be bought super cheap in bulk.

Birthdays are also significantly less cruel because they look inwards instead of outwards.  Since only a tiny minority of kids are going to have birthdays at the same time kids and parents aren't thinking about what other kids got.

The only good thing I'll say about Christmas is that it gives people a lot of time off and makes it socially unacceptable to not give your kids toys at all.  At some point Americans forgot that people aren't just school/work drones, I really think that without holidays we'd try to make the 5 day 9-to-5 grind a year round thing.

Edit: But then, most schools give kids way TOO much time off for Christmas.  And for summer.  Why are we raising kids to be in school 8 months out of the year, when they're going to be in work 12 months out of the year as adults?  A better system would be something like splitting the year into trimesters and having a two week break in between them, and then a one week break after midterms.  That would roughly mirror the vacations adults take although obviously still be more days off.  Oh and any teacher that gives homework for a break should be summarily executed.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 01:09:06 pm by EnigmaticHat »
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26514 on: December 13, 2018, 01:19:25 pm »

Birthdays are also significantly less cruel because they look inwards instead of outwards.  Since only a tiny minority of kids are going to have birthdays at the same time kids and parents aren't thinking about what other kids got.
Unless you're my cousin, who would throw a fit unless his mom bought him the same presents that they were giving away to whoever was having the birthday.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #26515 on: December 13, 2018, 01:55:36 pm »

I don't have much experience with you commercials since they've been forbidden her for most or all of my life but I can imagine those being a guilt pain in the arse this time of year.

Unless you're my cousin, who would throw a fit unless his mom bought him the same presents that they were giving away to whoever was having the birthday.

My parents used to give me a small toy for my brothers birthday when I was very little. I don't know if there was an incident early on which made this necessary. Stopped when I got a year or two older though.
Love, scriver~

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26516 on: December 13, 2018, 02:08:09 pm »

Edit: But then, most schools give kids way TOO much time off for Christmas.  And for summer.  Why are we raising kids to be in school 8 months out of the year, when they're going to be in work 12 months out of the year as adults? 

There's a common myth that the origins of summer break were as a way to get rural kids back on their farms when they were most needed, although that wasn't summer; the reality was more closely related to cities and schools being almost uninhabitable during the summer prior to air conditioning, at least by the standards of those wealthy enough to make policy. It had nothing to do with academic performance or preparation for adulthood, but compulsory education never has; it's always been a jail to keep kids from competing with voters for jobs, and its schedule of breaks has likewise been tailored to maximize their utility as status symbols during holidays, parade them in front of the grandparents for a while, and then get them back into the classroom before their novelty wears off.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26517 on: December 13, 2018, 02:13:46 pm »

Oh, my. What a bleak and conspiratorial world view.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26518 on: December 13, 2018, 02:21:32 pm »

And then you have Norway, where the waiting lists for kindergartens are so long that the ideal time to apply for a spot is shortly before conception.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26519 on: December 13, 2018, 03:37:28 pm »

Why are we raising kids to be in school 8 months out of the year, when they're going to be in work 12 months out of the year as adults? 
Why are we raising adults to work 12 months out of the year? Kidding, I know the answer to that one I just wanted to mention that we should eat the rich.

this meme made by MSH GANG
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 1766 1767 [1768] 1769 1770 ... 3566