Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1750 1751 [1752] 1753 1754 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4221809 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #26265 on: November 29, 2018, 05:54:35 pm »

Meanwhile, Trump is endorsing books.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26266 on: November 29, 2018, 06:38:24 pm »

Doesn't Trump only endorse books about Trump? That's the most boring reading list ever.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26267 on: November 29, 2018, 06:44:31 pm »

You see, there's this book...

It's yuge.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #26268 on: November 29, 2018, 07:05:58 pm »

To note, since there's some ambiguity here- the concern isn't that Assange leaked the information. The concern is that he deliberately acquired the information on the behalf of Trump to help out his campaign (quite possibly directly contacted in this regard by the campaign), and then released it.

The problem isn't that Russia was "involved," but that Russia was directly contacted to make this arrangement happen, on the behalf of the Trump campaign. Obviously we do not have any specific evidence of this, but there's a lot of pieces that are starting to fit this narrative. It'd be like the New York Times specifically going out of their way to acquire dirt on Trump as requested by the Clinton campaign, to help them out.

In short, it's nothing less than the politicization of the press as a tool to use against your enemies.

As an alternative, it could be that Russia deliberately gave Assange the emails, knowing that they would then be provided to Trump's campaign, without Assange directly knowing, possibly as negotiated separately between the Trump campaign (or elements of it) and Russia. Which isn't exactly much better; it just makes Assange a middleman.

Ok if Assange pro-actively went out of his way to procure this information in coordination with Trump and Russia, instead of merely publishing something that was provided to him, then the vitriol towards him is more understandable.  I didn't know that this was the accusation.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26269 on: November 29, 2018, 07:10:42 pm »

Doesn't Trump only endorse books about Trump? That's the most boring reading list ever.

You decide, but I think they're at least partly meant to be about anybody-but-Trump, even the ones that are Him Him Him:
.@SteveScalise has written an absolutely fascinating book (BACK IN THE GAME) on the world of D.C. politics, and more. He has experienced so much, in a short period of time. Few people have had his bravery or courage, and he has come all the way back. A big power and great person!
.@StephenMoore and Arthur Laffer, two very talented men, have just completed an incredible book on my Economic Policies or, as they call it, #TRUMPONOMICS....
.@DBongino’s new book, "Spygate: The Attempted Sabotage of Donald J. Trump," is terrific. He's tough, he's smart, and he really gets it. His book is on sale now, I highly recommend!
With all of the new books coming out you can't forget two of the great originals written by @GreggJarrett and @JudgeJeanine Pirro. Their books both went to #1. Go get them now, the phony Witch Hunt is well explained!
(Consecutive Tweets. The latter one wasn't there when I first mentioned it.)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26270 on: November 29, 2018, 07:13:22 pm »

I don't think there's evidence that Assange did anything special to get the material.

Also, another aspect is that a partisan site called DCLeaks was set up which started leaking the material about a month before Wikileaks did. But DCLeaks was doing smaller, intermittent leaks of the material. The material was already in the wild. Wikileaks then just file-dumped all the leaked emails at once. This was bad, but it actually prevented sites like DCLeaks being able to dribble out bits of the leaked material all the way up to the election date.

Wikileaks then released further material, but only on November 6th, which means no news outlets would have time to go through the material and affect the election at that point. If Wikileaks was in fact manipulating the data to aid Trump, then I think they wouldn't have done one big leak and released the rest of their material on the election date, they would have timed smaller leaks throughout the election.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 07:28:33 pm by Reelya »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #26271 on: November 29, 2018, 11:41:41 pm »

So, apparently Trump is trying to ban bump-stocks and similar devices by executive action. In and of itself, this is not a problem - very few people oppose prohibitions on the things on principle, and all of the opposition has been on the grounds of "we need to make sure that this doesn't leave room to ban much more than we intended to, while still effectively targeting the things we've agreed to get rid of."

The problem is that this is pretty much the worst way to go about it.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26272 on: November 30, 2018, 12:26:13 am »

Not to mention that it's the weakest possible form of 'gun control', it's low hanging fruit so low that it's touching the ground.

And yet, the legislative attempt went nowhere....

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #26273 on: November 30, 2018, 01:15:51 am »

And yet, the legislative attempt went nowhere....

It went nowhere because it was a bad bill. The wording was extremely vague, and could be interpreted so loosely as to justify a total ban on anything from triggers to ammunition.

Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26274 on: November 30, 2018, 02:14:02 am »

A ban on triggers would be... interesting to say the least.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #26275 on: November 30, 2018, 02:23:14 am »

Its all good.  You just slam the gun against a wall repeatedly until the gunpowder goes off.  The magazine has padding so the round in the chamber is the first to go.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26276 on: November 30, 2018, 03:09:13 am »

Its all good.  You just slam the gun against a wall repeatedly until the gunpowder goes off.  The magazine has padding so the round in the chamber is the first to go.

That, or just shovel ammunition into an oilcan fire pointed vaguely somewhere else*. As we all know, more guns make everything better; a gun that is constantly firing all the bullets that can physically fit inside it in random directions is therefore an admirably egalitarian panacea. Spraypaint it red, white, and blue* and NRATV will probably pay you for the privilege of advertising it*.

*do not do this. Do not do any of these things.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26277 on: November 30, 2018, 03:28:13 am »

Note that just tossing a round into a fire so that the powder explodes won't actually cause a bullet to fly out as if shot from a gun. The reason why the bullet reaches such deadly speed is because the barrel confines the expanding gases to only push the bullet forwards. Dumping your ammo into a barrel fire will make for less of a deadly weapon and more of an extremely underwhelming sparkler.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #26278 on: November 30, 2018, 03:35:45 am »

Rounds cooking off like that can be a danger if you're close enough. They won't reach the velocity they would from a gun, but they do have some force to them. I know a guy who shot himself in the leg because he tried to use a .22LR round as a fuse in his car.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26279 on: November 30, 2018, 03:50:16 am »

Rounds cooking off like that can be a danger if you're close enough. They won't reach the velocity they would from a gun, but they do have some force to them. I know a guy who shot himself in the leg because he tried to use a .22LR round as a fuse in his car.

.22?  You mean the gunpowder shoulder-masseur?
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.
Pages: 1 ... 1750 1751 [1752] 1753 1754 ... 3566