Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1736 1737 [1738] 1739 1740 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4225158 times)

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #26055 on: November 23, 2018, 04:26:51 am »

I heard singularities have tiny hands.

"It’s like a magnet. Just gravitate. I don’t even wait. When you’re a collapsed star, they let you do it. You can do anything. Spaghettify ’em by the [bleep]. You can do anything."

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26056 on: November 23, 2018, 04:35:38 am »

There's some argument as to whether or not he is an actual singularity, or just some orange degenerate matter though. :P (I mean, he COULD just be a magnetar, and not be an actual singularity.)

The collapsed "star" part we can all agree on I think. :P
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 04:39:48 am by wierd »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26057 on: November 23, 2018, 04:38:21 am »

The important question appears to be: is Trump's singular being a wormhole to a dimension full of lurking eldritch horrors?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26058 on: November 23, 2018, 04:40:56 am »

That would partially explain the shape of his tentacle.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26059 on: November 23, 2018, 04:53:45 am »

I think the tentacle he appears to be compensating for with long neckties is a(n oddly shaped) red herring. The actual tentacle is the orange thing on his head, with life of its own and oddly translucent. Constantly moving, tasting the air, probing its surroundings. Preparing for invasion.
It has to be. After all, black holes have no hair.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26060 on: November 23, 2018, 04:57:04 am »

Like other eldritch abominations from beyond, it is made of non-euclidean matter, and not wholly of this universe.  This explains why it has such madness-inducing features in those that witness it. I for one, am just greatful that I do not live in, nor near, the white house, Trump Tower, Nor Mar-A-Lago. 

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26061 on: November 23, 2018, 09:58:42 am »

https://www.npr.org/2018/11/22/670268418/milwaukee-girl-who-condemned-gun-violence-is-killed-by-bullet

Gun violence problem? What gun violence proplem? There's no gun violence problem! /s

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26062 on: November 23, 2018, 10:11:17 am »

You know, years ago I was on the side of gun owners, but nowadays I just want the rapid disarmament of the populace and strict gun ownership laws to be put in place. That way we could reasonable reverse the demilitarization of the police. I think there was a theory on how the populace need guns to overthrow the government should it become tyrannical,  but that was always a stupid idea noone was ever going to do that. It's time to just end our days as being a gun-loving and violence-loving nation.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26063 on: November 23, 2018, 10:17:06 am »

Militarization of the police has nothing to do with gun ownership. They will just kill more eagerly in a disarmed populace.

Besides, we all know who will be getting disarmed and who won't be in a disarmament scenario. Gotta compromise with racists, you know?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26064 on: November 23, 2018, 10:21:27 am »

how the populace need guns to overthrow the government should it become tyrannical,
Yeah, like there's no actual tyrant trying to overturn the courts, demand money from the nation for pet projects of no practical usefulness, engineering their own family's financial gain or anything like that.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26065 on: November 23, 2018, 10:38:26 am »

how the populace need guns to overthrow the government should it become tyrannical,
Yeah, like there's no actual tyrant trying to overturn the courts, demand money from the nation for pet projects of no practical usefulness, engineering their own family's financial gain or anything like that.

I'm just saying the uprising isn't possible, or atleast impractical, not that there's no chance of tyranny....

Militarization of the police has nothing to do with gun ownership. They will just kill more eagerly in a disarmed populace.

Besides, we all know who will be getting disarmed and who won't be in a disarmament scenario. Gotta compromise with racists, you know?

Man that's way more cynical than anything I can imagine. But I was under the impression that the militarization of the police was under the pretense of 'getting cops home alive at the end of the day' and if your ordinary citizen can be assumed to not have a gun, instead of the possibility that anyone could have one, the heavy armament of the police is no longer justifiable.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26066 on: November 23, 2018, 10:50:11 am »

I'm just saying the uprising isn't possible, or atleast impractical, not that there's no chance of tyranny....
Oh, I'm with you on that. I was actually leading up to the possibility of the people most invested in maintaining the ability they already possess also are seemingly the least concerned that the situation is going the way it's going.

But I sort of got tied up in the finer detail, instead.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26067 on: November 23, 2018, 10:56:23 am »

Look, it's just the evil version of Steve Jobs' reality distortion field, OK? Trump probably bought it at an auction, or stole it from Cupertino before Cook could use it.

/s

More seriously, the people most prone to "The government is gonna eat our babies!" levels of conspiracy nuttery, are also the ones most susceptible to being brainwashed by the mainstream media.  The government has nothing to fear from them really.   All they have to do is keep conjuring up paper-thin boogey men and saying the freedom of the world depends on vanquishing them, and the nutters with guns will sign up in droves. Hell, an alarming number of them are members of "militia" groups already, and have been spoon fed "red menace!" since they were in diapers.

The evil cynic in me says that the government types-- the actually truly evil fucks in the NSA and pals (Since sustaining American hegemony is one of the fundamental reasons they exist, and the very conception of staying on top at all costs is itself fundamentally evil, no matter what other people may think of that. Despite the similarity in tone here, I am not talking about conspiracy theories about the NSA, since we have actual dirt released thanks to people like Snowden. Rather than be hyped that Snowden made such releases [since that would prove that at least some of the conspiracies they have wondered about for years are indeed true], these people [referred to in above paragraph] more often than not consider him a "Traitor" and "Commie sympathizer" that is "Out to destroy America!" and shit-- which is why my harping about this is very different. That there are some truly evil fucks in the NSA, CIA, and pals, is well established fact at this point.) -- actually WANT it this way.  Such people are very easy to control and manipulate for a wide assortment of purposes, and being so easily controlled, they are a treated like a resource. 

Sorry, but this contagion in my society has me very hostile, and my ability to be polite about it has been bled dry a long time ago.

The problem is not the second amendment.  There are perfectly valid reasons for people to be able to own weaponry in the modern age (and I have frequently gone to bat about them on here in the past).  The problem is with the end-stage mental cancer caused by "Red Menace!" mind control efforts, and the shameless manipulation of the media to sustain it, along with the ever escalating trend to make the american public as divided (and divisive) as is humanly possible.  When you make the public hate each other, and then throw in guns-- you end up with some crazy shit.  When you subtly add justification to dangerous notions about racial superiority or even just racial stereotypes, like with racial profiling, you end up with security guards getting shot for holding a gun while black, and police officers doing horrible things behind their badges.

The thing that has me so hot and angry about this, is that there are people in government who honestly think that sustaining the red menace scare mongering to keep controllng the narrative, is worth all this collateral damage, and are eager to turn the knob up to 11 and break the damn thing off.

Trump is too dumb to adequately fall into that group, but in his inept stumbling, does much to further that kind of purpose.  It's a mad house, and the clowns are running the circus.  We have electorate that is deranged, and does not know better, and trump is a symptom.  The real issue, is to deal with why the public has such a widespread problem with this kind of mental cray-cray.  That reason, is because they keep getting it hammered at them with the volume turned all the way up, which reinforces that kind of narrative in their heads.

Britain suffered this kind of nonsense long before we did. They had a word for it. Jingoism. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jingoism

Rather than try to diffuse this toxic cloud of flatulence under a heavy administration of enlightenment era rationalism--- our civic leaders have decided that jingoism is a useful tool to effectively control the population, with disastrous results.  Started with the McCarthy era, and never once has it really backed down.

This is nothing new-- Voltaire spoke about the same kind of evil in fact--

Mais, monsieur, en étant persuadés par la foi, des choses qui paraissent absurdes à notre intelligence, c'est-à-dire, en croyant ce que nous ne croyons pas, gardons-nous de faire ce sacrifice de notre raison dans la conduite de la vie. Il y a eu des gens qui ont dit autrefois: Vous croyez des choses incompréhensibles, contradictoires, impossibles, parce que nous vous l’avons ordonné; faites donc des choses injustes parce que nous vous l’ordonnons. Ces gens-là raisonnaient à merveille. Certainement qui est en droit de vous rendre absurde est en droit de vous rendre injuste. Si vous n’opposez point aux ordres de croire l’impossible l’intelligence que Dieu a mise dans votre esprit, vous ne devez point opposer aux ordres de malfaire la justice que Dieu a mise dans votre coeur. Une faculté de votre âme étant une fois tyrannisée, toutes les autres facultés doivent l’être également. Et c’est là ce qui a produit tous les crimes religieux dont la terre a été inondée.

Once your faith, sir, persuades you to believe what your intelligence declares to be absurd, beware lest you likewise sacrifice your reason in the conduct of your life. In days gone by, there were people who said to us: "You believe in incomprehensible, contradictory and impossible things because we have commanded you to; now then, commit unjust acts because we likewise order you to do so." Nothing could be more convincing. Certainly anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices. If you do not use the intelligence with which God endowed your mind to resist believing impossibilities, you will not be able to use the sense of injustice which God planted in your heart to resist a command to do evil. Once a single faculty of your soul has been tyrannized, all the other faculties will submit to the same fate. This has been the cause of all the religious crimes that have flooded the earth. (Translation from Norman Lewis Torrey: Les Philosophes. The Philosophers of the Enlightenment and Modern Democracy. Capricorn Books, 1961, pp. 277-8)

We have a government that has demonstrated a vested interest in the active indoctrination of people, into the learned behavior of believing in absurd and incomprehensible things, for the very purpose of getting them to do atrocious things.

THAT is the fundamental problem.  Not that the people that are being compelled to do atrocious things are armed. (though it certainly does nothing to help matters, for sure.)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #26068 on: November 23, 2018, 11:18:41 am »

There'd be several thousand fewer dead people per year if we reigned in gun proliferation in the US, just from the effects it would have on suicide. Never mind the rest of it. We've had solid statistics for years now that a firearm in a household makes everyone in it more likely to be injured or die. They're deadly in ways basically nothing else commonly encountered by civilians in the US is, to zero meaningful surprise considering they're literally made to kill people.

It's not the only problem by a long shot, but it's an actual problem in and of itself and one with real fucking clear effects when corrected.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26069 on: November 23, 2018, 11:25:15 am »

The gun being present, is not what drives people to go out and shoot people.

It's a no-brainer that having one in your house increases the odds of accidental shootings;  If you do not own one, your chances of your child picking up a gun from your non-existing-gun-case is exactly 0, while when you do in fact have a gun case, that probability is very much non-zero.

I will not, and never will argue against that. 

What I will argue against, is that the idea that all homes must be gun-free.  This is absurd, so long as there is not sufficient social infrastructure and timely response in our nation, which is very large geographically, and it is that geographical largeness that makes the problem real. (If you live in rural bumfuckistan USA, and you have a problem with predators-- those predators are going to kill all your livestock and put you into the poor house before the fish and game warden decides that yes, your call really is important, and that yes, he really does need to get dressed, and drive for an hour to arrive at your house-- and thus-- arrive there about an hour and a half too late to actually help you. Similar story with county sheriffs officers and actual life-threatening emergencies involving dangerous humans.)

The fundemental problem is that people are all too willing to use guns on each other.  I just gave a very important explanation for why that is.  Take that reasoning out, and a GREAT deal of human on human violence, of all stripes, will diminish.
Pages: 1 ... 1736 1737 [1738] 1739 1740 ... 3566