Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1726 1727 [1728] 1729 1730 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4227673 times)

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #25905 on: November 19, 2018, 08:39:11 pm »

Remember 6 months ago when Trump sent the National Guard to the Mexico border, and everyone said that was stupid because under federal law they were not allowed to engage on US soil?
Remember last month when Trump sent an additional 5000 active duty troops to the border, and everyone said that was stupid because they still could not engage and also Border Patrol was having no trouble dealing with illegal border crossings anyway?

Trump is now preparing to give US troops permission to engage.

inb4 a truck full of mothers holding their crying babies gets turned into swiss cheese~

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #25906 on: November 19, 2018, 08:47:55 pm »

I thought we moved past this. Finns don't fear death, because living in Finland is already like death, and hell sounds comparatively nice: at least it's warm.

You have to threaten them with something worse than death: having to talk to people. This is why the Russians couldn't defeat them. But America? All we'd need to do is just broadcast some friendly conversation at them and they'd flee.

Plus, there was that whole war with Korea...
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #25907 on: November 19, 2018, 09:54:07 pm »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25908 on: November 19, 2018, 09:57:15 pm »

Ivanka Trump used a personal email account to send hundreds of emails about government business last year.

Lock her up! Lock her up! Lock her up!
Hahahaha!

The article is slightly unfair as the email server thing was only one of many reasons people perceived Hillary as "crooked", but yeah, Ivanka's totally culpable here and this is deeply ironic in the dramatic sense.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25909 on: November 19, 2018, 10:20:33 pm »

NO MORE FUINN IN AMERIPOL.

Twump is simultaneously handing out sanctions/revoking visas of Saudi's believed to be involved in the assassination of Khashoggi while also dropping gems like:

"I don’t know, you know, who could really know. But I can say this, he’s got many people now that say he had no knowledge," in regards to his buddy the Crown Prince.
Courtney has an aunt who is the avatar of dry humorless expressions.

She was once giving a talk in front of a good sized group and her glasses disintegrated because the bolts hadn't been fastened properly, so they just kinda slipped apart and slid down her face.

She didn't move, I doubt she even blinked.

Picture Tina from Bob's Burgers but less outgoing and friendly, like Tina having to talk to a large group, but all the time.

She had a wonderful time in Finland, said she loved it.

"Did you meet any interesting people?"
'No!'

Moddan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25910 on: November 20, 2018, 02:55:15 am »

Ah, the mighty Finns. However, not so mighty when there's an Estonian mushroom seller around.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #25911 on: November 20, 2018, 05:24:08 am »

Remember 6 months ago when Trump sent the National Guard to the Mexico border, and everyone said that was stupid because under federal law they were not allowed to engage on US soil?
Remember last month when Trump sent an additional 5000 active duty troops to the border, and everyone said that was stupid because they still could not engage and also Border Patrol was having no trouble dealing with illegal border crossings anyway?

Trump is now preparing to give US troops permission to engage.

inb4 a truck full of mothers holding their crying babies gets turned into swiss cheese~
According to the article they can still only intervene if the border patrol guys come under attack.  So it seems to be mostly Trump blowing air at his base.

It also represents a dangerous erosion of the balance of power between civilians and military, but the military is trying to be the adult in the room this year so I think we're cool.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #25912 on: November 20, 2018, 10:54:50 am »

It hinges on whoever being on the ground trying to be more responsible than the president. So far the military has seemed aghast at Trump but is still respecting the office. So we can only hope whoever is in command of those troops feels the need to balance out Heir Trumpenstein's desire for immigrants to get shot. If the person in change is as rabid about immigration as Trump.....I'd expect bodies to start piling up.

Never thought I'd say this about the US military, but I feel like they're the only thing between the more or less rational America I know, and the crazy America whose future I'm not sure will be good for anyone.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 11:02:25 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #25913 on: November 20, 2018, 11:06:05 am »

The military will happily kill civilians, and the fantasy that they just "wouldn't" or would have some Constitution-fetish rebellion is just that, a fantasy. Mass killing is their whole job, why would they ever not?

This is the next step towards our terminal point. All the border control and ICE murder cliques are being elevated to the next level. Expect an "attack" on border patrol agents in the immediate future.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25914 on: November 20, 2018, 11:16:25 am »

The military will happily kill civilians, and the fantasy that they just "wouldn't" or would have some Constitution-fetish rebellion is just that, a fantasy. Mass killing is their whole job, why would they ever not?

I'd point to the military's attitude toward all the police shootings as a counter point. No, I don't expect a rebellion from the military. Exercising restraint instead of blowing away unarmed immigrants though seems more likely.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25915 on: November 20, 2018, 11:16:30 am »

This is the next step towards our terminal point. All the border control and ICE murder cliques are being elevated to the next level. Expect an "attack" on border patrol agents in the immediate future.

I refer you to the Cuban Missile Crisis, during which a Russian sub commander refused to fire nukes, thus averting an all-out nuclear war.  My position on soldiers has shifted dramatically in 10 years - the majority don't want to see anybody hurt, but they'll do it if they have to.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #25916 on: November 20, 2018, 11:30:59 am »

I refer you to the Cuban Missile Crisis, during which a Russian sub commander refused to fire nukes, thus averting an all-out nuclear war.  My position on soldiers has shifted dramatically in 10 years - the majority don't want to see anybody hurt, but they'll do it if they have to.
Oh wow, a sub commander decided not to commit omnicide I'm so impressed. Particularly with the people on that sub who were trying to launch.

For a more relevant example, let's look at what happened yesterday in 2005. Nobody was meaningfully punished for that, by the way.

The military is at the border right now to commit a massacre and justify future genocide during the ecological collapse. That is the explicit reason for their presence and y'all are still on here trying to be "nuanced" about a group that is the US government's tool of destruction. All this bullshit about "oh, I don't want to gun down the foreign devil hordes, I'm just a good old boy who wants to do right by His Country and His Squad, but I'll execute you if you even think my daughter's name" is just the liberal version of the exact same "glass Iraq and let God sort it out" fascism that everybody over 20 spent the Bush years complaining about.

Get your heads on straight. There's no secret understanding to figure out here, the President is actively angling for a massacre and the segment of the country that dominates the military thinks that he can do no wrong and is their savior. They get the message, you get the message, everybody gets the message.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #25917 on: November 20, 2018, 11:39:52 am »

The first round of those troops are also being sent home, because there's nothing for them to do.

And according to that article, most of the troops are unarmed personnel from support units. Trump asked for "Army guys" so the Army sent supply clerks and engineers and the like, because they're not about to waste combat soldiers on shit like that. Which is both trolling Trump and probably exactly what he wanted. The MAGAts can imagine 6000 seething Marine warbeasts ready to send a rain of steel upon those scary brown MS-13 "invaders", which makes Trump seem badass in their minds. And there's little chance of this blowing up in his face (literally) if they're unarmed.

More worrisome are the militia guys who are taking it on themselves to show up and "help out". Those fuckers will be happy to start the shooting, and they're probably playing dress-up in Army fatigues with their AR-15, so casual observers won't distinguish them from the active duty units.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25918 on: November 20, 2018, 11:41:39 am »

Get your heads on straight. There's no secret understanding to figure out here, the President is actively angling for a massacre and the segment of the country that dominates the military thinks that he can do no wrong and is their savior. They get the message, you get the message, everybody gets the message.

It's not the like military can choose not to go. They have to go because they're ordered to. You're taking that as confirmation of your worst theory, as though they have any choice in the matter.

More worrisome are the militia guys who are taking it on themselves to show up and "help out". Those fuckers will be happy to start the shooting, and they're probably playing dress-up in Army fatigues with their AR-15, so casual observers won't distinguish them from the active duty units.

With any luck, those will be the ones the military will have to deal with. Not the immigrants. If some drunk fuck starts discharging a weapon in the vicinity of active duty personnel, or heaven forfend, at them because they can't tell the difference, that would put a very different spin on this.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25919 on: November 20, 2018, 11:57:56 am »

"Active duty Marines brutally execute proud American Patriots trying to protect Marines from violent rapist MS-13 ILLEGAL immigrants" -Fox News
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.
Pages: 1 ... 1726 1727 [1728] 1729 1730 ... 3566