Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1654 1655 [1656] 1657 1658 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4229652 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #24825 on: October 30, 2018, 03:48:14 pm »

I saw this on Politico and I thought the whole thing was just too good, so here it is for your amusement and/or horror.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #24826 on: October 30, 2018, 03:50:32 pm »

We're out of mulligans and deferments and wait-and-sees. It's long past time for everybody to pick a side.

Like I said: simply having an opinion, a party and casting your vote isn't enough for some people. Now you need to do those things as well as BE EXTREME.

If voting isn't adequate enough, then you're essentially arguing for a non-democratic process of literally going to war with the people you disagree with.

If that's the only way people think they call solve things, then they deserve each other, and the rest of us will be here to pick up the pieces when it's over.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #24827 on: October 30, 2018, 03:58:07 pm »

Soon to follow:

"Trump ignores critics, law; ends birthright citizenship"

Democrats: ARGLBARGLINEFFECTIVE RAGE
Republicans: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
MAGAts: Haw, haw, suck on that you libturd cucks!
Rest of world: *quietly adjusts the targeting grid for their nuclear arsenals. Juuuuust in case*

@nenjin: That's fine, sit on the sidelines if/when the shit hits the fan, and take your chances. Let me know how that works out for you. Maybe we'll get lucky and the inherent dysfunction built into the US government will frustrate righties to the point that they give up. Or, more likely, it'll frustrate them and they'll decide it's time to go outside the process. And when they do, there need to be people ready to say "Not this time, motherfuckers."

EDIT: I also like your false dichotomy of "voting" or "Liberal Crime Squad". There are in fact stages in between.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 04:00:20 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24828 on: October 30, 2018, 04:15:54 pm »

I like how we say ha ha sit on the sidelines as if there's a dramatic battle line of anti-trump folks planning an assault on the white house that only the true heroes are a part of. Like if he actually removes birthright citizenship you're ready with a ragtag band of minority badasses and a bandana.

You're sitting there, getting ready to vote, same as everyone else. People who aren't carrying the same card as you have exactly the same effect when they vote Democrat. It's not special if you shout louder.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24829 on: October 30, 2018, 04:25:52 pm »

You can protest, that's your democratic right. But people aren't saying they're gonna protest. They're using the same violent language they pillory the other side for using.

It's all bluster. On both sides. When there is something worth taking to the streets about and practicing civil disobedience, I'll be ready to do that. But no one is saying they're doing that. They're just venting their anger to the ether and using vaguely (and not so vaguely) threatening language to back it up. I want to put as much distance between myself and those folks as I do between myself and rabid Trump supporters.

Because honestly, nothing has crystallized out of the new aggressive Left mentality. Nothing. People talk like they're "at war" but what are they doing? Nothing. They're shouting from the sidelines just like everyone else, and trying to badger people on their own side of the spectrum into getting as hostile and aggressive as they are. While accomplishing exactly nothing.

So let me know how that pans out for you.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #24830 on: October 30, 2018, 04:48:25 pm »

If the current events and near-term stakes aren't enough to provoke civil disobedience, then nothing short of danger literally at your own doorstep will be enough.   You're right that the left does a lot of shouting from the sidelines about how we need to do something, without actually doing much.  But that's because we're waiting for enough people to be with us to actually mean something.  I've been telling people for 10 years on the environment front that we should be rioting *right now*.  I'm sure you believe that means that I myself should go out and riot if that's what I believe.  But when everyone's response to my pleas is either a solemn shaking of head or incoherent arguments about how human beings are too insignificant to effect the environment much, I know that my action would be pointless.  I would be one person randomly making himself look like he's lost his mind and getting inconsequentially arrested / killed.  So I wonder out loud why more people aren't as pissed off as I am.  What else can I do?
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24831 on: October 30, 2018, 05:08:13 pm »

So, if you folks haven't caught up with the buzz surrounding a supergenius who was plotting to set Mueller up with a sexual assault claim... but he was literally hoisted by his own retard: https://twitter.com/JaneMayerNYer/status/1057371849439502338

Enjoy the giggles!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24832 on: October 30, 2018, 05:39:56 pm »

So, if you folks haven't caught up with the buzz surrounding a supergenius who was plotting to set Mueller up with a sexual assault claim... but he was literally hoisted by his own retard: https://twitter.com/JaneMayerNYer/status/1057371849439502338

Enjoy the giggles!

From the NBC report
Wohl stopped responding to NBC News after being told Surefire's official phone number redirects to his mother's voicemail.

I almost inhaled my drink lol
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24833 on: October 30, 2018, 05:45:49 pm »

What else can I do?

Knock on doors. Stuff envelopes. Call phones. Donate if it's feasible for you. Run for something local if you've got the resources. Just talk to people, if that's all you have time for. Be (nonviolently) belligerent when people are being bigoted assholes, if that's a risk you're willing to take.

Between violence and nothing there's a whole national apparatus to rebuild. It's surprisingly fun, too.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24834 on: October 30, 2018, 06:30:54 pm »

Just do nothing. It's easier and you won't get as sad when it turns out all your efforts were for naught.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24835 on: October 30, 2018, 06:55:07 pm »

Sorta unrelated, but I was wondering why most people wait until election day instead of voting early.  It's so much less crowded, it's literally a lot easier.  I guess in case new information comes out at the last minute?  I'm not sure that's a good reason...

Apparently the rates of early voting have been climbing pretty rapidly though.  7% in 1992, 36% in 2016.  I kinda wonder why, even though it kinda follows what I did.

Also turnout's looking pretty good so far: https://www.usnews.com/news/the-run/articles/2018-10-22/early-voting-in-some-states-is-rivaling-presidential-turnout
I think they're projecting that the total 2018 numbers will rival the total 2016 numbers, which is really impressive for a midterm.  People aren't just mad, they're voting.  I feel like there's some sort of connection there.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24836 on: October 30, 2018, 07:13:28 pm »

Sorta unrelated, but I was wondering why most people wait until election day instead of voting early.  It's so much less crowded, it's literally a lot easier.  I guess in case new information comes out at the last minute?  I'm not sure that's a good reason...
Several highly-populous states (most obviously New York) don't have early voting.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24837 on: October 30, 2018, 07:24:45 pm »

What else can I do?

Knock on doors. Stuff envelopes. Call phones. Donate if it's feasible for you. Run for something local if you've got the resources. Just talk to people, if that's all you have time for. Be (nonviolently) belligerent when people are being bigoted assholes, if that's a risk you're willing to take.

Between violence and nothing there's a whole national apparatus to rebuild. It's surprisingly fun, too.

In other words: get out the vote. The essence of the democratic process. That's the only moral and ethical way to approach this. The whole "we need to burn these fuckers out" is exactly the same anti-democratic ideal the worst elements of the Right get attacked for.....just with a heavy dose of moral outrage from the Left.

If the current events and near-term stakes aren't enough to provoke civil disobedience, then nothing short of danger literally at your own doorstep will be enough.

Hard to be civilly disobedient on the end of the Nuclear Non-Profileration Treaty with Russia. Or removing ourselves from the Climate Accords. Unless you just plan to sit in the street as an act of protest and block traffic.

So yeah. Danger at my doorstep would be a motivating factor. Being told to do something or believe something or being required to support something I won't. Then I can be civilly disobedient. Maybe it will be too late by that point? But again, what are we talking about here. Shooting up some political offices? Starting fist fights at rallies? The Left's anger is genuine but unfocused, just like the Right's anger was during Obama. Only they actually started organizing in response to it, eventually, because they realized violently changing the political situation wasn't going to work. So they worked within the process, got their base motivated and made the change they want to see. I wholeheartedly endorse the Left doing the same thing. It's way, way more productive than making angry internet posts and confirming the biases of the people you're opposed to. "Liberals will violently try to overthrow the government!" "We need to drag these racist fascists fucks out in to the street by their hair and make an example of them, so we can take back our country!"

Basically if you're legitimately advocating violence, you've already lost the game. We've all already lost the game, at that point. The savvier, more patient elements of the far Right have realized their best strategy is to say something just offensive enough, and watch people on the Left dig their own hole and jump in it.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 07:42:50 pm by nenjin »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #24838 on: October 30, 2018, 07:37:34 pm »

Maybe you Staters should get together and create an actual, proper Left instead of "Right, but less Right than those other Right-wingers".
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24839 on: October 30, 2018, 07:41:17 pm »

Several highly-populous states (most obviously New York) don't have early voting.
Damn, that's sad.  I admit I honestly didn't know that, though I saw a lot of clues when finding those links.  Jeez.
I mean, I guess there's always absentee voting, but I was just hearing on the radio about how that's a lot more complicated than one would think.  Including getting people to witness your ballot??  Ugh.

I also heard about North Dakota disenfranchising Native Americans by requiring a street address AND voter ID.  Here in NC there's a sobering little chart where you can illustrate your most common... spot, if you're homeless.  Not so there, even a PO box isn't enough, you need a street address.  Often members of the tribes technically have an address, but no idea what it is because it doesn't come up. 

Volunteers are of course doing their best to fight the pretty blatant suppression tactic with door-to-door education/assistance, but I guess I have another reason to harp on ND now.  Not only is it extremely over-represented in representatives and electors by population (along with legitimately having 2 senators, which is fine), but they felt the need to suppress Native voters (who, of course, tend liberal).
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 1654 1655 [1656] 1657 1658 ... 3567