Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1616 1617 [1618] 1619 1620 ... 3568

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4242040 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #24255 on: October 14, 2018, 11:43:31 am »

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24256 on: October 14, 2018, 11:55:43 am »

Look, NO.

FUCKING NO.

I work in healthcare. I meet all kinds of people in that setting.  I am a an asexual male, with long hair, and a somewhat highpitch voice. I get called "ma'am" all the time. I get improper pronounced constantly. Like, daily. (Which I find odd, since I have a beard. A rather large one.)

When I look at a new resident, I observe their facial structure, not necessarily their other attributes. Lack of obvious breasts does not make someone nonfemale, for instance, as NY more than than short hair, wearing pants, or not wearing makeup.

To make the determination on first meeting, I look for the degree of masulinization in the eye orbits and cheekbones, muscle layout of the face and neck, the shape of the nose, etc.  Those things don't vanish when a person gets reassignment, but a great deal of effort is taken to determine gender before saying "sir" or "ma'am".

This shot above, about strawmen and guilt by association? Go fuck yourself.

I can and do live with being called the wrong pronoun all the FUCKING time. Is it annoying? Yes. Do I need to sue people over it? No.  Is this society litigious enough to sue people over being called the wrong pronoun? Yes. Are resident families frequently special snowflakes that get upset over the tiniest things and honest mistakes? Yes. Do they hold double standards about their relatives, and THEIR inability to use the right pronouns, (even when they are with it mentally)? YES!

Stawman my FUCKING ass, go fuck yourself, you idiotic ass, this kind of treatment is why people tell you that you are entitled asses.

We are not talking homophobia, or idiot asses that use the wrong pronoun on purpose out of spite, we are talking innocent mistakes, and people that cant stop using the incorrect one for harmless reasons.

But sure, label it whatever you FUCKING want, assholes.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24257 on: October 14, 2018, 12:17:45 pm »

Boy, I wonder what's going on in Ameripol this fine morni--

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #24258 on: October 14, 2018, 12:20:14 pm »

Look, NO.

FUCKING NO.

I work in healthcare. I meet all kinds of people in that setting.  I am a an asexual male, with long hair, and a somewhat highpitch voice. I get called "ma'am" all the time. I get improper pronounced constantly. Like, daily. (Which I find odd, since I have a beard. A rather large one.)

When I look at a new resident, I observe their facial structure, not necessarily their other attributes. Lack of obvious breasts does not make someone nonfemale, for instance, as NY more than than short hair, wearing pants, or not wearing makeup.

To make the determination on first meeting, I look for the degree of masulinization in the eye orbits and cheekbones, muscle layout of the face and neck, the shape of the nose, etc.  Those things don't vanish when a person gets reassignment, but a great deal of effort is taken to determine gender before saying "sir" or "ma'am".

This shot above, about strawmen and guilt by association? Go fuck yourself.

I can and do live with being called the wrong pronoun all the FUCKING time. Is it annoying? Yes. Do I need to sue people over it? No.  Is this society litigious enough to sue people over being called the wrong pronoun? Yes. Are resident families frequently special snowflakes that get upset over the tiniest things and honest mistakes? Yes. Do they hold double standards about their relatives, and THEIR inability to use the right pronouns, (even when they are with it mentally)? YES!

Stawman my FUCKING ass, go fuck yourself, you idiotic ass, this kind of treatment is why people tell you that you are entitled asses.

We are not talking homophobia, or idiot asses that use the wrong pronoun on purpose out of spite, we are talking innocent mistakes, and people that cant stop using the incorrect one for harmless reasons.

But sure, label it whatever you FUCKING want, assholes.
Happens to me too, mostly over the phone.  The difference with trans people is that they'll be misgendered after correcting the other person.  Or some people will do it intentionally just because they know the person is trans (i. e. the multitude of youtube commenters that refer to Caitlyn Jenner as "he" or even "it").  Now if someone was sued over misgendering someone once, that would be an issue, but I've not heard of such a lawsuit happening.

Also your argument was a strawman.  It conflated otherkin with trans people, which is a tired argument.  No trans person has ever seriously argued that people should be allowed to pick which species they identify as, its trolls on the internet that connected those two groups.  Much like how no gay rights activist has ever advocated men should be allowed to have sex with dogs but people like(d) to draw connections between those two things.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24259 on: October 14, 2018, 12:23:42 pm »

That tends to happen when people have the gall to level accusations about strawmen and logical fallacies (like guilt by association), then turn right around and blast out the kind of noise they just complained about, because the failed to ask politely about why somebody might have strong feelings or personal experience, and just assumed. (Which is the very essence of unintentional strawmanning.)

I find that to be hypocrisy and bad faith of the highest order, and when it comes with "holier than thou" delivery, it turns on my flame jets.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #24260 on: October 14, 2018, 12:26:44 pm »

I am a an asexual male, with long hair, and a somewhat highpitch voice.

You know I wish fiery beards could be visible from behind, I'd get hit on a lot less. But yeah I can relate. Everytime I took a walk with my ex, people thought we were a couple of lesbian and were genuinly puzzled. Ah the wonders of rural lifestile.

It's not even annoying. I look at them in the eyes when I get catcalled and try to capture the moment went my massive chin mane strikes the bottom of their eye socket because the look it makes on their face is priceless.

Guilty mind should be a requisit for offense taking. But since offense taking is a social currency and the bank has no wall, here we are.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24261 on: October 14, 2018, 12:32:56 pm »

Ameripol is smelling like it did in 2016 over here. Take deep breaths, calm the fuck down, and review how many entries in the moderation log can be attributed to politics threads.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24262 on: October 14, 2018, 12:39:39 pm »

I believe I stated clearly why this has me beyond just a little angry.

I will attempt to chill, but bee,g shoved, HARD, into an ideological corner I do NOT ascribe to, and then argued against as if that were god's own truth, JUST AFTER a clearly specious remark about strawmen and logical fallacies gets my cockles raised hard.

Maybe I feel strongly about this subject, because it has personal experiences with it? No, that cannot be! Unpossible!

Its gotta be latent bigotry! That's so much easier to attack!

(Scowls)

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24263 on: October 14, 2018, 12:40:27 pm »

I'm pretty sure that pronoun roulette can't happen. Anyone who is uncomfortable using standard pronouns would have to explain what they prefer to be called, and then its about as hard to remember as an unusual name. There is no legal standard that would allow a penalty for not knowing someone's pronouns before you met them, nor could it punish you for forgetting or misremembering. It is precisely "homophobia, or idiot asses that use the wrong pronoun on purpose out of spite" that this could apply to. If people are getting sued for something that any reasonable person would do (use pronouns before asking) that's a pretty annoying thing but hopefully wouldn't hold up in court. I think one problem here is that you can theoretically use pronouns to refer to someone if you don't know their name. Having to learn them, too, could seem really annoying and lead to the creation of propronouns, but I think not being a jerk and putting in the same effort as remembering a name (so sometimes hardly any if you'll never see the person again) is good enough to handle the situation.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #24264 on: October 14, 2018, 12:44:42 pm »

Once you're called a SJW by right wingers and an alt right by left wingers in the same conversation, you start to just ignore those labels. It's cool. People with a bit of discernment don't look at labels.

As for misgendering of youtubers, giving shit to youtubers is a given. It's the rule of the game. If you have a public career, people will throw rotten vegetable your way. It's been like that since medieval ages and it's not going to stop so better grow a skin or don't be a public figure. I mean...it's common sense, right?

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #24265 on: October 14, 2018, 12:49:51 pm »

That tends to happen when people have the gall to level accusations about strawmen and logical fallacies (like guilt by association), then turn right around and blast out the kind of noise they just complained about, because the failed to ask politely about why somebody might have strong feelings or personal experience, and just assumed. (Which is the very essence of unintentional strawmanning.)

I find that to be hypocrisy and bad faith of the highest order, and when it comes with "holier than thou" delivery, it turns on my flame jets.
The neko cat thing was legitimately a strawman tho.  I'm not going to say getting sued over using the wrong pronoun by accident, or losing your job, is a strawman but... has that actually happened somewhere?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24266 on: October 14, 2018, 12:51:41 pm »

I don't think you are giving proper weight to frayed emotions, and their influence in such circumstances.

Say for instance, your transgender aunt gets put into a nursing home, after years of being wrongly called sir by said asses.  Your aunt is tired, and is not wearing any makeup, and is wearing gender neutral clothes. She did not get hormone replacement surgery.  The attending nurse calmly and politely asks "can I help you sir?" when she comes to the desk. This nurse is NOT out to humiliate or harm this person, they just made an honest mistake.  However, your tg aunt is sensitized to the issue, is incensed, and files a complaint. (I mean, why wouldn't they? They have dealt with assholes all their life, it's become instinctual to reach for the big guns.) what you might not know, is that accusations of this type are *always* investigated by state, and a record kept of those investigations, no matter how innocent the provider is.  Get enough investigations on your record, and you really start to look like something you are not.

Handwaving away realities like that is bad form. M'kay?

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24267 on: October 14, 2018, 12:58:52 pm »

I remember chatting with a fellow via Omegle who capitalized "You", but not "i", claiming that this was how it was done in Polish etiquette.
You is only capitalised if you want to highlight your respect for the other person. The more formal way of showing respect is to use plural "you".
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #24268 on: October 14, 2018, 01:00:32 pm »

I remember chatting with a fellow via Omegle who capitalized "You", but not "i", claiming that this was how it was done in Polish etiquette.
You is only capitalised if you want to highlight your respect for the other person. The more formal way of showing respect is to use plural "you".
So if you don't capitalize it, are you highlighting your disrespect?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24269 on: October 14, 2018, 01:01:31 pm »

So if you don't capitalize it, are you highlighting your disrespect?
Nope. It's the standard.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.
Pages: 1 ... 1616 1617 [1618] 1619 1620 ... 3568