Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1604 1605 [1606] 1607 1608 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4233320 times)

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #24075 on: October 09, 2018, 03:38:04 pm »

I wonder how an extreme environmentalist would play in the next presidential election? 'Vote for me if you want to live...'

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24076 on: October 09, 2018, 03:48:06 pm »

I wish I voted for her last election, though that's with benefit of hindsight.

Reminder to register if you haven't already.  And, I can be bad about this, try to do your research on local candidates ahead of time.  The midterms are only a month away!  There are positions other than the governor and federal representatives.  Shit is complicated, and it can be surprisingly overwhelming - particularly for those of us who don't watch television!

Do the research, both for federal and state.  Straight tickets undermine democracy.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24077 on: October 09, 2018, 04:42:36 pm »

I'm pretty sure it's already too late to register in South Carolina at least.  Fortunately, I am registered, just in the county I was born in that's over an hour away.

More fortunately, I'm getting dragged to a company meeting in California during the midterms, so I have an excuse to get an absentee ballot.  Less fortunately, it's a shockingly complicated process to go through to get it (in SC anyway), which requires you download a form you mail to the ballot office, to get your ballot, which you then have to mail back.  The form to request it is in XDP format, which if you've never heard of it (and I hadn't), is a new format of XML based PDF that only newer versions of Acrobat Reader can even read.  So I had to install that instead of just using Nitro.

All of this to vote.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #24078 on: October 09, 2018, 04:54:42 pm »

That's a strange system. In Ohio you just get one in the mail automatically, even if you've never cast an absentee ballot.

At least, everyone in my household does, anyway.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #24079 on: October 09, 2018, 04:59:22 pm »

Southern states are notorious for making the voting process as difficult as possible. All in the hopes black folks will just say "fuck it" and go home. Or so they can make voter registration drives, typically by Democrats, harder and harder to do.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24080 on: October 09, 2018, 05:04:06 pm »

I don't even remember registering to vote here in MI. I think it was automatic when I got my driver's license. Even though the driver's license renews every 4 years, voter registration seems to be automatic every year.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #24081 on: October 09, 2018, 08:44:44 pm »

I am sad I am still too foreign to vote.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #24082 on: October 10, 2018, 09:09:25 am »

If you're Russian, that won't be a problem :P
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #24083 on: October 10, 2018, 10:27:19 am »

I don't remember registering to vote, but I'm a registered election employee so I must have done it sometime and somehow.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24084 on: October 10, 2018, 11:44:42 am »

Our high school civics class had a day in our senior year that was just filling out voter registration sheets. Not forced upon us, iirc. But we were heavily encouraged to register. Not sure if that's common in my area, or just a quirk of the teacher. But yeah. It was basically a handhold experience where I didn't have to put any effort into it.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24085 on: October 10, 2018, 01:06:55 pm »

Our high school civics class had a day in our senior year that was just filling out voter registration sheets. Not forced upon us, iirc. But we were heavily encouraged to register. Not sure if that's common in my area, or just a quirk of the teacher. But yeah. It was basically a handhold experience where I didn't have to put any effort into it.
Same.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #24086 on: October 11, 2018, 12:26:21 am »

What is a civics class? Sounds abominable

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #24087 on: October 11, 2018, 12:36:48 am »

Learning about the current active government in your area.

I have been seriously wondering if I should start raising my kids as a prepper.  But if/when things degrade that far, only one of them might have a chance anyway.  The other is diabetic :/
As a diabetic person, yeah, I'm going down with this ship whether I want to or not. (The ship is modern industrial civilization.) But that just motivates me to create the aligned singularity faster. (Make your own salvation. If a benevolent god does not exist then we will have to invent it.)

What I mean is that we shouldn't give up. There's too much to lose, and I don't think we're currently in a state where we can know that human ingenuity is useless against the impending doom. Maybe it's not the singleton, but we need to save civilization somehow.

Edit: I mean, obviously the global deaths from climate change matter much more than my own, but I'm living inside an ape and the ape is motivated by fear more than altruism.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 12:45:48 am by Dozebôm Lolumzalìs »
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #24088 on: October 11, 2018, 12:39:11 am »

Good god how horrifying

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #24089 on: October 11, 2018, 12:43:24 am »

Good god how horrifying
How is it more horrifying than the government itself? Better to see the horror than to ignore it. Gaze into the abyss or you will be forced to repeat it, or something like that.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!
Pages: 1 ... 1604 1605 [1606] 1607 1608 ... 3567