Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1598 1599 [1600] 1601 1602 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4231626 times)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #23985 on: October 07, 2018, 07:16:22 pm »

Nah, nevermind. Not sinking to that level. I'm not hypocritical scum.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 07:20:15 pm by Hanslanda »
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23986 on: October 07, 2018, 07:24:07 pm »

Also I do not accept for a second the excuse of "but police wouldn't believe me". For one because this is not true as far as I know, sexual assault victims are treated with extreme defference as far as I know
It's because it's inherently, usually, he-said-she-said.  (actually gender has NOTHING to do with it, but whatever).  A hypothetical victim might go to the police, but usually has little more evidence than that they had sex recently (which involves a very... close examination).  In the end, very little evidence of lack of consent.

That's why this wasn't a set of rape charges (from multiple women!), it was "This person is a bad pick for literally the most important position in the USA".

There's the possibility that these women all lied to discredit Kavenaugh.  They forever put themselves forward as litigious about sexual assault (which will cause people to interact with them VERY differently forever.  Carefully, reluctantly).  If the PHD married lady put herself forward like this (weathering death threats, though Kavenaugh did as well)... why?

To make the Republicans choose a different rubber stamp for their policies?  There are literally countless judges willing to be the deciding vote on the Supreme Court to usher in an era of conservative values.

The slight hope of a redraw doesn't seem like a strong motivation, at least to me.  If I were them, I'd just pick a different partisan conservative judge.

But they didn't do that.  Because this was the only shithead willing to offer Trump a pardon for his crimes, and proverbially fellate him on national TV.  If they admitted that Kavenaugh was a scandal-mired drunk hothead, Trump would have been paralyzed past the PUBLIC REFERENDUM midterms, and they would have lost their chance to stack the Supreme Court of these United States.

It's fucking disgusting.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 07:26:44 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23987 on: October 07, 2018, 07:40:16 pm »

More than fucking disgusting, it's mentally abhorrent. We have fallen so incredibly far, politically, since 1930 or so. My country is a police state ruled by the rich to the detriment of the people. Xenophobia, racism, and bigotry aren't considered wrong. They're fucking political positions.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23988 on: October 07, 2018, 07:51:15 pm »

Theres no evidence that he's a drunk hothead now though, which would be much more problematic than if he had a drinking problem in his youth. The Democrats did try to claim that there was inappropriate behavior in the previous six FBI background checks, but that one is so blatantly obvious because 1. it's the first time I've ever heard anybody claim inappropriate behavior in the previous background checks, and 2. It's not something you bring up at the very last second. It's so blatantly obvious that I don't know why they tried to pull it off in the first place.

Aside from that, yes, they decided to rush him through because they ABSOLUTELY had to have a new justice in before the session started (can't they wait like, I dunno, a year? *wink* *wink*) and before they potentially lost their majority and didn't even do a full review of his documents. Kind of almost that the Republicans knew that there was something in there that if it became public, even they would have to vote no.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #23989 on: October 07, 2018, 07:54:39 pm »

It's because it's inherently, usually, he-said-she-said.  (actually gender has NOTHING to do with it, but whatever).  A hypothetical victim might go to the police, but usually has little more evidence than that they had sex recently (which involves a very... close examination).  In the end, very little evidence of lack of consent.

It is so because that testimony is 36 years too late. Also medical examination is performed by medical personel. If they find roofies in your bloodstream, marks of struggle in your body, you can make a case easily. Proof of sexual misconduct is not hard to prove, especially if you struggled and have witnesses as she said she had. Like everyone seem to think that sexual assault charges are totally impossible to prove so in the end it's a matter of who you chose to believe. US have a justice system. It's good. Use it.

There's the possibility that these women all lied to discredit Kavenaugh.  They forever put themselves forward as litigious about sexual assault (which will cause people to interact with them VERY differently forever.  Carefully, reluctantly).  If the PHD married lady put herself forward like this (weathering death threats, though Kavenaugh did as well)... why?

Any answer to this question will forever be hearsay. Now not only it is too late, but it doesn't even matter anymore. If you are victim of an assault, moreover if it is a sexual assault, go to the police. Now. You call them, it is a free number, they come pick you up if you don't have a car, and you make your deposition. You can do that at any time of the day or the night.

What you don't do is wait a third of a century and wait until your aggressor get a career opportunity to come out of the closet.

Just tell me if I'm going totally off the rails because at times I feel like I'm in an alternate reality and common sense is suddently super controversial.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23990 on: October 07, 2018, 07:59:43 pm »

Dude, this is how this stuff works. Constantly harping on the time makes you look like your victim blaming. This kind of stuff by it's nature is often not reported and only comes up much later.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23991 on: October 07, 2018, 08:06:33 pm »

Any answer to this question will forever be hearsay. Now not only it is too late, but it doesn't even matter anymore. If you are victim of an assault, moreover if it is a sexual assault, go to the police. Now. You call them, it is a free number, they come pick you up if you don't have a car, and you make your deposition. You can do that at any time of the day or the night.
I didn't go to the police about a nonsexual assault, which I survived by begging.  I knew there wasn't enough evidence.

If that person, who is normally an upstanding citizen except in certain situations, were to maybe be a candidate for, I repeat, literally the highest position in the USA, I would speak up.

They could look at my sordid history, judge me under the microscope of the entire country, and maybe... possibly... decide that he wasn't literally one of the best people in the entire nation.

Edit:  It would be bigger than me.  More than my life's worth, to preserve the USA.

What you don't do is wait a third of a century and wait until your aggressor get a career opportunity to come out of the closet.

Just tell me if I'm going totally off the rails because at times I feel like I'm in an alternate reality and common sense is suddently super controversial.
I completely understand where you're coming from, I was initially with you.  But once I realized the credentials of the primary witness, and then that several other women came forward -

And then the FBI mysteriously refused to investigate everyone involved, before presenting their "all clear!"

Something smells wrong in the state of Bestmerica.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23992 on: October 07, 2018, 08:14:08 pm »

And then the FBI mysteriously refused to investigate everyone involved, before presenting their "all clear!"

It didn't seem mysterious to me, just that they were going 'Not touching this hot political potato!' and saying that they'd have to be told to investigate rather than volunteering to investigate. It's pretty understandable how they wouldn't want to get anywhere near this whole thing if they could help it. Also, the investigation was limited as hell by the white house, the FBI had no control over it. It wasn't a freeform full investigation that was entirely under their control, which would definetly take way more than a week.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 08:15:57 pm by smjjames »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23993 on: October 07, 2018, 08:18:49 pm »

I can't imagine why seeing your rapist on the cusp of attaining fame and power would provoke someone to fight back against them.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #23994 on: October 07, 2018, 08:47:48 pm »

Yeah I'll not die on that hill. I'm convinced that trying to bypass do process is bad when you do it, is bad when they do it, and is in general always bad. But if I can't convince people of that, I guess they are entitled to their opinion since we don't have any standard to evaluate the merits of our respective positions.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23995 on: October 07, 2018, 08:49:32 pm »

Due process matters for imprisoning someone. It doesn't apply for a job interview.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #23996 on: October 07, 2018, 08:54:45 pm »

Of course not. No blow is too low, everything is fair game, I rest my case.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23997 on: October 07, 2018, 09:00:01 pm »

It didn't seem mysterious to me, just that they were going 'Not touching this hot political potato!' and saying that they'd have to be told to investigate rather than volunteering to investigate. It's pretty understandable how they wouldn't want to get anywhere near this whole thing if they could help it. Also, the investigation was limited as hell by the white house, the FBI had no control over it. It wasn't a freeform full investigation that was entirely under their control, which would definetly take way more than a week.
They were asked to, by the American Bar Association.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23998 on: October 07, 2018, 09:09:05 pm »

They were asked to, by the American Bar Association.

And then they said that they'd have to be asked to by the Senate and/or the White House and there was no police report where they could act on their own with.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #23999 on: October 07, 2018, 09:11:00 pm »

Theres no evidence that he's a drunk hothead now though, which would be much more problematic than if he had a drinking problem in his youth.

Yeah, no evidence. I mean he did spend his entire nomination hearing angry and bragging about how much he still loves drinking beer, but there's no reason for us to judge a man by the things he says or the way he says them.
Pages: 1 ... 1598 1599 [1600] 1601 1602 ... 3567