Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1558 1559 [1560] 1561 1562 ... 3568

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4243632 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #23385 on: September 11, 2018, 08:24:10 am »

Guantanamo used to have American mines, but they got removed in 1999. There are still mines on the Cuban side though

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23386 on: September 11, 2018, 08:39:24 am »

Guantanamo used to have American mines, but they got removed in 1999. There are still mines on the Cuban side though

Ah I see. My knowledge was just two decades out of date then.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #23387 on: September 11, 2018, 08:52:36 am »

Though I suppose on the other hand, just cos you demined an area doesn't mean there aren't still mines there. There are generally speaking, no former minefields, whether at land or sea

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23388 on: September 11, 2018, 09:05:57 am »

Name I don't know even one country that has a military base in another country. The answer is maybe Russia and China have a couple?
This question intrigued me enough to see if there was a list: Australia, China, France, Germany, Greece, India, Israel, Italy, Japan, Pakistan, Russia, Turkey, UAE, UK, USA.  Several of these include the anti-pirate support bases located in Djibouti, though, which is (for instance) how Japan skates by in spite of Article 9.  The US has the most, but it is far from the only one.  France, Russia, and the UK all come in a respectable second through fourth.  China is indeed one of the lower ones on the list; as noted, they build their overseas bases over seas.

15 of some 200 countries on the planet, and I'd imagine only three or four have more than 50- 100. Granted some USA bases are NATO or allied bases ostensibly under US command, but even saying half are that still has the US at ~500 bases out-country. I'm now curious how many the next three highest have.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but we have superweapons we don't use because they work too well.
Gotta say, saying "Superweapons that are too effective" and not immediately thinking "nuclear weapons" disappoints me.

Sorry, I assumed nukes were automatically assumed.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23389 on: September 11, 2018, 10:24:45 am »

Those numbers don't really paint the whole picture.

I assume that ~500 is based on the list of "US Military Installations" overseas.

That list tends to include just about anything from a couple dozen people manning an outpost with some sandbags and tents all the way up to a 10k person joint NATO base in Europe.

US military also divides their bases up, sometimes strangely, even if they're geographically right next to each other, and even sometimes connected, they'll have separate designations and commanding officers based on what that particular area does.

One simple example being Eglin Air Force Base being the base of a couple of fighter wings as well as a testing wing. And the connected Hurlburt Field being the Air Force special operations command and training school. And while it's on Eglin property, it's a seperate base on the lists. And that's just one simple example. There's others where you might have 4-6 or more "bases" all on the same property or very closely adjacent to each other.

I'm also very unsure if some of those bases are double counted for instances where you might have two branches working out of the same base. For example, Eglin and Hurlburt are both listed on both the Army and the Air Force's lists.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23390 on: September 11, 2018, 10:53:40 am »

Yeah I assumed at least half was that sort of thing. It is sorta like Auschwitz-Birkenau being in reality nearly fifty camps all clustered together.
He's fucking with us.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23391 on: September 11, 2018, 01:04:14 pm »

Probably of more interest to New Yorkers, looks like Gov. Cuomo is having a his own version of 'bridgegate'. It's not as egregious as what former NJ Gov. Chris Christie was accused of, but it's certainly become an issue leading up to the election.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23392 on: September 11, 2018, 01:43:29 pm »

Probably of more interest to New Yorkers, looks like Gov. Cuomo is having a his own version of 'bridgegate'. It's not as egregious as what former NJ Gov. Chris Christie was accused of, but it's certainly become an issue leading up to the election.

But her bagels.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23393 on: September 11, 2018, 03:03:59 pm »

Hans, are we the baddies?

Not to put too fine a point on it, but we have superweapons we don't use because they work too well. We stop using Napalm and cluster bombs because they're too effective and terrifying. We have almost a thousand military bases in other countries. Name I don't know even one country that has a military base in another country. The answer is maybe Russia and China have a couple?

Yeah we're the baddies.

Hans, are we the baddies?
How many skulls do you have on your uniform?

There's just nothing positive about skulls.

You know, I forgot when posting that we had a member named Hans(landa) whose avatar was dressed in Nazi regalia.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #23394 on: September 11, 2018, 03:10:45 pm »

Pandas are too useless to be evil though

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #23395 on: September 11, 2018, 03:21:33 pm »

The hope with Nixon running is that she'd drag Cuomo to the left somewhat, but while she's put him on the defensive in various ways, her effectiveness in actually changing his policy proposals has been questionable. But she's not a viable competitor in her own right: she has zero governing experience whatsoever and I'm really not impressed with the whole "electing inexperienced celebrities" thing right now, regardless of whether I agree with them or not. She seems like someone who the Republicans in Albany would run circles around: she'd introduce well-meaning legislation, fail, complain, and repeat.

Sure she has nice rhetoric, but so did Bill de Blasio, and that comparison won't win her any favors.
But what if it were the mighty Red Panda? Fear it's fluffiness!
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23396 on: September 11, 2018, 03:28:49 pm »

Ah I see. My knowledge was just two decades out of date then.

The only reason I even knew Guantanamo Naval Base even had mines was because the ending of the movie Bad Boys II takes place there.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #23397 on: September 11, 2018, 03:35:48 pm »

But what if it were the mighty Red Panda? Fear it's fluffiness!

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23398 on: September 11, 2018, 03:38:46 pm »

FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23399 on: September 11, 2018, 03:43:18 pm »

and that's the killian experience
Pages: 1 ... 1558 1559 [1560] 1561 1562 ... 3568