Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1480 1481 [1482] 1483 1484 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4229636 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #22215 on: August 03, 2018, 04:46:32 am »

So where's Heckler in all this?

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22216 on: August 03, 2018, 04:57:30 am »

Or more simply. Trump said "Trade bad. Tariffs good." Kochs didn't like that, so they withheld money from Trump and some of the Trumpier candidates. The whole bit about the election data SEEMS like a smokescreen, it looks like the same sort of data 1000+ companies out there are compiling. Trump can't stand any sort of criticism so it turned into a twitter war which made everyone definitively choose sides.

Real news here might be if they DO decide to throw in with democrats in some cases... and what that might mean to democrat's races if they accept the help. Koch are not very well loved on the left, and accepting their help, while beneficial in some ways, could make a leftward leaning candidate look cynical and corporatist...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #22217 on: August 03, 2018, 05:07:55 am »

Koch are not very well loved on the left, and accepting their help, while beneficial in some ways, could make a leftward leaning candidate look cynical and corporatist...
Tbh this is a golden opportunity for American leftists. Accepting Koch brother money doesn't come without strings, they'd expect their money to purchase influence. On the other hand, American leftists saying no thanks, would mean that the Koch brother money can't purchase influence on the right or left wing, and they'd be left to hang dry

2011 - Koch Brothers, all the influence money can buy
2016 - A bloo bloo bloo why don't we have more influence
2020 - What happened to our influence?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #22218 on: August 03, 2018, 06:53:38 am »

44d underwater reverse strip backgammon.

So... you put the clothes on?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22219 on: August 03, 2018, 08:14:06 am »

When you lose.

I tell ya, the last time I played that against Loud Whispers I ended up with so many shirts on my back...

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22220 on: August 03, 2018, 09:26:15 am »

So Trump has been denouncing the Koch brothers in recent tweets, and the feud between the Trump and them has now expanded to include the RNC and the Koch political network. It's probably the largest example of the divide between Trump and traditional republicans (as opposed to the usual Republican divides). Notable because it (unlike most republican divides) has expanded beyond the realm of bad words and into the realm of concrete action: Koch's are withholding support in certain key races, while the RNC is telling donors not to work with the Kochs.

Egad! The people might have to vote based on their own, unmanufactured feelings about the stances and policies of their representatives!
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22221 on: August 03, 2018, 09:27:41 am »

So Trump has been denouncing the Koch brothers in recent tweets, and the feud between the Trump and them has now expanded to include the RNC and the Koch political network. It's probably the largest example of the divide between Trump and traditional republicans (as opposed to the usual Republican divides). Notable because it (unlike most republican divides) has expanded beyond the realm of bad words and into the realm of concrete action: Koch's are withholding support in certain key races, while the RNC is telling donors not to work with the Kochs.

Egad! The people might have to vote based on their own, unmanufactured feelings about the stances and policies of their representatives!

What? No. Fox News is still broadcasting; the manufacture of feelings continues apace.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22222 on: August 03, 2018, 09:37:56 am »

RNC versus Koch
Blind loyalty to 'conservative' values(aka whatever the RNC says at that moment in time) versus having a more nuanced opinion of what works and what doesn't.

Eh, one can only hope the tribalism loses out.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #22223 on: August 03, 2018, 09:55:11 am »

When you lose.

I tell ya, the last time I played that against Loud Whispers I ended up with so many shirts on my back...
The trick is to stack hats because you always have room to stack more hats

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #22224 on: August 03, 2018, 10:27:33 am »

RNC versus Koch
Blind loyalty to 'conservative' values(aka whatever the RNC says at that moment in time) versus having a more nuanced opinion of what works and what doesn't.

Eh, one can only hope the tribalism loses out.
It will, considering this is the political equivalent to a civil war, or at least a revolution. If we have any fair luck at all, the Republican Party is going to heavily wound themselves on an election year. Barring Russian meddling, it'll be the Democrats' victory to lose in many places. I'm not sure who's going to win, but either way probably isn't going to be good for the party in this next election, and possibly further into the future if the Kochs are properly ousted and have to flee to the Dems or even a third party.

When you lose.

The trick is to stack hats because you always have room to stack more hats
See that's why I only play Connect 34.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #22225 on: August 03, 2018, 12:19:48 pm »

It puts the clothes on its skin or it gets the Trump again.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22226 on: August 03, 2018, 12:39:33 pm »

...So if the Kochs made a third party, would that still be good for American democracy? I'm leaning yes.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22227 on: August 03, 2018, 12:50:01 pm »

It puts the clothes on its skin or it gets the Trump again.
Everyone knows that soggy clothes make it harder to swim.

It's a life-and-death stakes game.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #22228 on: August 03, 2018, 12:54:21 pm »

The Democrats adopting the Koches would be like the Republicans making some kind of lifelong Democrat with serious moral lapses and tons of baggage into the president.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22229 on: August 03, 2018, 01:06:24 pm »

Vote Hillary Clinton (R) 2020
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.
Pages: 1 ... 1480 1481 [1482] 1483 1484 ... 3567