Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1470 1471 [1472] 1473 1474 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4228041 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #22065 on: July 27, 2018, 04:06:45 pm »

Okay but saying Hillary would have done as much damage as Trump without providing any specific evidence is getting into conspiracy theory territory.  Like I get it, before Trump was elected we couldn't see the future, but we're in the future now and saying Trump = Hillary is becoming an increasingly bold claim.

Edit: To be clear about the equal sign, I mean ANY equivalence between Trump and Hillary
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22066 on: July 27, 2018, 04:08:30 pm »

When people say that, they do not mean that they are in fact the same person or that they would have taken actions that are literally identical.

What they mean is that either Hillary Clinton would have done the same amount of damage in her own unique way, or that Hillary Clinton would have had the same level of negative impact on those who did not align with her. Sometimes, they mean that both sides have the same level of vapid tribalistic hate, and care for the morals/causes/people that they tout about on the internet only insofar as they can use them as a bludgeon to hurt the other team as it's own end.

I am glad I am here to help with these things.
That's sometimes the case, but there were a lot of Democrats (or former Democrats) claiming that she was as anti-environment, anti-gay, and pro-corporation as any Republican.
Because the environment got ignored during the primary, she didn't stand up for gay rights at the very beginning of her long career, and corporations donated to her (just like every candidate who stood a chance, with one exception).
Oh yeah, and wanting to keep and expand Obamacare also made her a corporatist shill (ironic considering that yes, Republicans had originally floated the same health plan, but de-facto crazy because Republicans were now explicitly promising to destroy that basic level of public health care we'd finally achieved).

We (the left) hit some disastrous combination of over-optimistic, impatient, and jaded.  Another 4 years like Obama weren't enough (Congress?  That's complicated, blame Obama).  We needed true progressive change *now*, from the executive office somehow, and when that fell through we largely didn't bother voting for "good enough".  Enough for an upset.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #22067 on: July 27, 2018, 04:36:31 pm »

Rolan, I agree with some of that assessment, but I would point out that Trump won by going after working-class voters, not by counting on Hillary to dissapoint the radicals. The liberals came out to vote for Hillary, and the blue-collars in a few badly gerrymandered states skewed to Trump.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22068 on: July 27, 2018, 05:30:14 pm »

The election was a shot for shot remake of that South Park episode where they had to vote for a new school mascot, at the end of the day. Giant Douche or Turd Sandwich? You decide on which loss you're going to take!
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22069 on: July 27, 2018, 05:31:29 pm »

What specific losses did Hillary represent?

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22070 on: July 27, 2018, 05:38:13 pm »

I was referencing the fact that is was basically a binary decision, with no excellent options available, only lesser evils. Choose Trump if you feel he serves your interests more than he fucks you, or choose Hillary if you feel she serves your interests more than she fucks you. I'm fairly liberal, but I seriously wasn't very supportive of Hillary. Opposed to Trump but wary of Hillary. A corrupt, brash, egotistical businessman or a corrupt, calculated, career politician?

A Giant Douche? Or a Turd Sandwich?

Edit:

Hillary would have represented another politico pushing for corporate rights, potentially taking away more of our protections (Like Obama and Bush did in strengthening and creating the Patriot act and other assaults on our freedom), and showing limp wristed support for civil rights while not giving an actual fuck about them.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 05:40:19 pm by Hanslanda »
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22071 on: July 27, 2018, 05:38:39 pm »

Well, if Hillary had been elected, we'd be in the midst of a secession crisis right now. So there's that.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22072 on: July 27, 2018, 05:42:26 pm »

What? If Hillary was elected she'd be dead and so would the next 18 people in line?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22073 on: July 27, 2018, 05:43:15 pm »

What? If Hillary was elected she'd be dead and so would the next 18 people in line?
Different /s.+cession/ word.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22074 on: July 27, 2018, 05:45:34 pm »

Either way, it wasn't a good choice for anyone but blatant racists and corporate CEOs.
He's fucking with us.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22075 on: July 27, 2018, 05:46:25 pm »

Oh. Lol, whoops.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22076 on: July 27, 2018, 06:10:51 pm »

What's worrisome to me about Trump's win is that he expanded the southern strategy (racism) to the entire nation. And it worked. Bleh.

Combine that with the fact that apparently the GOP had been prepping to attack Clinton in the most brutal ways possible for what must have been years, and you had racist slapfest. Bluh.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #22077 on: July 27, 2018, 06:16:45 pm »

What's worrisome to me about Trump's win is that he expanded the southern strategy (racism) to the entire nation. And it worked. Bleh.

Not even remotely. Racism played a small part in Trump's success, but nowhere near as much as people think. Most of his votes in the Midwest came from his promise to bring manufacturing jobs back, and the illusion that he was a political outsider that would clean up the town. Even with that, and with Comey's last-minute reopening of the Email "scandal", he won by the thinnest of margins. There are credible polls to suggest that Comey's October announcement was by itself enough to flip the election, because it dipped Clinton's support in several Midwest states just enough to change who carried those states.

Trump won because his opponent was somebody with 40 years of manufactured scandal clinging to her.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22078 on: July 27, 2018, 06:23:46 pm »

I was referencing the fact that is was basically a binary decision, with no excellent options available, only lesser evils. Choose Trump if you feel he serves your interests more than he fucks you, or choose Hillary if you feel she serves your interests more than she fucks you. I'm fairly liberal, but I seriously wasn't very supportive of Hillary. Opposed to Trump but wary of Hillary. A corrupt, brash, egotistical businessman or a corrupt, calculated, career politician?

A Giant Douche? Or a Turd Sandwich?

Edit:

Hillary would have represented another politico pushing for corporate rights, potentially taking away more of our protections (Like Obama and Bush did in strengthening and creating the Patriot act and other assaults on our freedom), and showing limp wristed support for civil rights while not giving an actual fuck about them.

Do you have evidence based on her polices and statements? For instance, "corrupt" is a specific allegation, not a generic insult. What specifically did she do that was corrupt? It's really easy to talk about politics if your only citation is South Park.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #22079 on: July 27, 2018, 06:56:27 pm »

Cross-post, but bleh.

War on Poverty won, go home people.

Alternatively, War on Poverty won; War on The Poor continues.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 1470 1471 [1472] 1473 1474 ... 3567