Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1411 1412 [1413] 1414 1415 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4229145 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #21180 on: June 23, 2018, 12:56:12 pm »

Again, a figure of speech was used, that alluded to a fictional place.

The interpretation of that figure of speech is an artifact of the reader, not the writer. The bias then is the property of the reader, and the subsequent demands for specific data for a decidedly not-specific statement, being treated as a specific statement--

(EG, I did not say "Oh yeah, the whole place has a background in excess of 50 uSv/hr!", which would be patently false-- I said "It is radioactive as hell")

Is specious, and not arguing in good faith.

The insistence that such a statement was made, when it was not, (and I challenge you to find it, because I know you cannot!) is likewise specious, and arguing in bad faith.

Pretending that this is not busting my balls, and just wanting to elevate the standards of discourse, is additionally just dodging that your level of quality was not met to assuage your biases. Pretending that I am the one with the bias is the pot calling the kettle black.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 01:02:28 pm by wierd »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21181 on: June 23, 2018, 01:06:10 pm »

To try and drag this back, kicking and screaming, to the topic of "America"...

So Trump's executive order made it so that children could not be separated. While this has "ended" the crisis, much is still going on.
For one, 2,300 children remain seperated from their parents. This includes some whose parents were in fact already deported, making reunion a little difficult.
For another, Trump's new policy is to detain migrant families as a whole, but this flies int he face of the so-called "Flores agreement" settlement, which set strict limits on indefinite detention of minors. The Obama Administration tried it back in 2014, but after a ruling against the Administration, they were faced with the choice to either seperate families or use what Trump has derisively called "catch-and-release". The Obama Administration opted for the latter, but Trump's executive order restores what Obama tried to do in 2014. It's... not likely for them to succeed.

Furthermore, the administration's "Zero Tolerance" policy is now effectively dead. The administration has insisted otherwise, but in fact it was never really feasible: previously the feds prosecuted about 30% of migrants crossing the border, the zero tolerance policy merely raised that to 60%, which was enough to cause a massive backlog and send the entire system to the breaking point. Court cases are now being scheduled for 2021 and beyond.

The result of all this has been a war within the West Wing. Border Patrol says that it is struggling already, and doesn't know what to do for Trump's latest executive order. Justice department officials, led by Trump's least favorite cabinent member, Jeff Sessions, have hit back, saying there is to be no change to "zero tolerance". No one really knows what will happen next, especially if the judge involved refuses to modify the Flores settlement.

So this is..... overall good news, but with a large side of utter uncertainly as to whether it will remain good news or descend into a situation worse than before. Worse as hell, if you will.

Also, If I worked for Trump, I would not contradict him publicly in that manner, because Trump switches out cabinet members like I switch out coffee filters.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #21182 on: June 23, 2018, 01:22:21 pm »

What really bothers me is that Trump and his ilk are enthusiastically encouraging the message of 'Come to America and we will steal your children'. This shit right here is exactly why terrorists chant 'Death to America!'. This is why North Korea wants to nuke the US into oblivion.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #21183 on: June 23, 2018, 01:50:17 pm »

Best Korea is actually softening its propaganda on the US. They’ve stopped selling postcards showing missiles about to fall on Washington, for example.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21184 on: June 23, 2018, 02:54:09 pm »

This shit right here is exactly why terrorists chant 'Death to America!'

"Terrorists"? At this point if a mild-mannered schoolteacher started shouting "death to america" in front of the embassy I wouldn't be surprised. You don't need to be a terrorist to hate the US with a passion.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #21185 on: June 23, 2018, 03:25:20 pm »

All that really matters is what's in your hands when you say it.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21186 on: June 23, 2018, 04:10:14 pm »

Heh, Trump wanted to go and use Executive orders to pass immigration reform as part of a bill WaPo article with a bit more filled in detail than The Hill, but advisers and staff told him that he can't do it unilaterally by fiat via Executive order.

However, the irony here is that, didn't Obama do exactly that with DACA? I'm pretty sure Obama went down that route (though it wasn't alongside legislation as Trump's idea was) of changing immigration laws via Executive Order, but Trump's idea was to go even further than Obama ever did.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #21187 on: June 23, 2018, 04:24:31 pm »

All that really matters is what's in your hands when you say it.
If it's a Smith&Wesson, you're a good patriot American, if it's an AK, you're a terrorist?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #21188 on: June 23, 2018, 04:32:17 pm »

Nah. More Americans over the age of 50 own an AK than you'd think. It was just one thing in my neighbor's arsenal that he collected from Vietnam.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #21189 on: June 23, 2018, 06:20:36 pm »

What really bothers me is that Trump and his ilk are enthusiastically encouraging the message of 'Come to America and we will steal your children'. This shit right here is exactly why terrorists chant 'Death to America!'. This is why North Korea wants to nuke the US into oblivion.
I kind of think NK would be more impressed than anything. Not exactly a shining example of human rights for their own citizens. Also, terrorists chanting that specific phrase are likely doing so because their own country got screwed. Kind of an odd choice of words for a domestic terrorist or someone who wanted to hop the US border.

The entire reason for the message is that it's meant to discourage illegal crossings, regardless of the reality of what the courts will allow. Would you sneak into the US if you heard they would separate you from your children? Your alternatives would have to be worse.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 06:25:24 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21190 on: June 23, 2018, 06:25:20 pm »

And even if they did take their children, they'd be better off in the US than what they're fleeing. So, it's not really a deterrent for those most desperate to flee.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #21191 on: June 23, 2018, 06:26:23 pm »

And even if they did take their children, they'd be better off in the US than what they're fleeing. So, it's not really a deterrent for those most desperate to flee.
It's not the only possible destination. Mexico is kind of an okay place, y'know?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #21192 on: June 23, 2018, 06:27:48 pm »

Well, what happens to the children after the parents have been deported? If hey’re kept in the US, they might think that’s a better place for their kids to be ban wherever they’re coming from anyway.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21193 on: June 23, 2018, 06:38:27 pm »

Well don't get me wrong, I feel like we do need a comprehensive plan for what to do with these kids, and it probably isn't sunshine and pixie dust, but the end of outright abuse feels like the first step.

@Bumber
Yeah I've read that most of these folks are not in fact coming from Mexico, there are coming from the really nasty places like Honduras and using Mexico as the entry point. Not sure how much truth there is, but it makes sense.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21194 on: June 23, 2018, 07:15:24 pm »

Yeah I've read that most of these folks are not in fact coming from Mexico, there are coming from the really nasty places like Honduras and using Mexico as the entry point. Not sure how much truth there is, but it makes sense.
Can't be true. Or Trump would have been lying in saying Mexico has stronger border control than the US.

Because it would be unthinkable for Trump to just make up a random 'fact' that it suited him to use on the spur of the moment  to rile up his base that may or may not even be diametrically opposed to a prior 'fact' he made up previously to rile up his base in a different way. Not Trump, the King Of Consistent Truthfulness...
Pages: 1 ... 1411 1412 [1413] 1414 1415 ... 3567