Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1358 1359 [1360] 1361 1362 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4238794 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: new thread subtitle pending
« Reply #20385 on: June 01, 2018, 09:05:51 am »

That's expected. A tariff wall can do that: cause prices inside and out to go in different directions. e.g. suppliers can't sell as much of the goods to people behind the tariff wall, so more is diverted to markets outside of it. The big problem here is that while this might boost domestic production of the high-tariff nation, that production will be even less competitive in export markets than it is already. e.g. so you'll be rebuilding an American steel industry, that's 100% dependent on the domestic market, too expensive to compete in the export markets, and even more reliant on the tariff wall to remain in place lest the whole thing collapse. Plus, of course, the domestic market for steel will just shrink anyway due to high prices, and this will drive down overall investment.

And there's also the problem that by erecting tariffs against imports to the USA on steel etc, other countries will retaliate with tariffs against imports from the USA. The end result will be the Chinese selling steel to Europe more and buying more advanced European products, cutting the USA out of both deals.

e.g. don't do the trade war thing when you have multiple competitors who just might decided to trade with each other instead.

It’s also exactly what happens when you hit your three out of top five biggest trading partners with tariffs for utterly bullshit reasons.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #20386 on: June 01, 2018, 09:21:27 am »

I'm having trouble parsing what you just wrote and how it's supposed to be logically equivalent to what Lord Shonus wrote.

If men were all sperm donors and first saw their children at age 18, then men would have no legal custody of their children

Well people who are donors don't have custody.

Should that mean that the mothers, who keep the children, shouldn't have legal custody of their children either?

Well no, but women who give their children up for adoption don't have custody. You're comparing apples and oranges here of people who do not keep the child vs those who do then assuming some fictional fantasy world that assumes all men are sperm donors and all women are caretakers, then saying that sperm donors and caretakers must have equal rights, so as not to be gender discriminatory. There are too many logical sleights of hand pulled there.

What Lord Shonus is saying is totally different. He's saying that the argument goes that "males do not get to choose to kill a baby so therefore females shouldn't get to kill a baby". I'm pro-choice but I'm having trouble seeing how your analogy fits that.

e.g. if you forced all men to be sperm donors only, and disallowed them custody, it would in fact be discriminatory to not also make that ruling for women, therefore in that case women should not be awarded custody, and the children would need to be provided for by the state. e.g. the sleight of hand there is that you mixed up "sperm donor" which is a voluntary thing with the idea of forcibly taking women's children away, which is an involuntary thing. It's discriminatory if either gender is subject to a forced ruling that the other is not. It's not discriminatory if both are forced to abide by the same ruling, no matter how shitty that ruling is.
You're right, that was a poor analogy given that custody is not determined by genetics. My thought experiment was that men were sperm donors by custom, though. (So it technically stands, but it's a stretch to say that it proves anything about the original argument.)

Perhaps a less directly relevant analogy would be better? “The law, in its majestic equality, forbids rich and poor alike to sleep under bridges, beg in the streets or steal bread.” Except not quite, because it's not that men have no need to have an abortion, it's that they're physically incapable of having an abortion (barring the odd trans/intersex man).

Or maybe "it's not discriminatory against gay people to ban gay marriage, because both straight and gay people have the same right to marry the opposite sex." Caveat as above, but I think the analogy still holds.

My argument itself is that the original argument presented (although not necessarily endorsed) by Lord Shonus is engaging in sleight-of-hand. Everybody is forbidden from killing babies who have been born. Men can only access babies after they have been born. Thus, in practice, if any man has killed any baby, then that is illegal. But this is not itself a law - it is emergent out of the law against killing living babies, and the fact that unborn babies are inaccessible to men. If you take the emergent restriction as a law and then generalize it, then that's technically Fair and Objective, but it's also Fair and Objective to say "only kill babies who haven't been born" which in practice only allows women to kill babies.

Except I feel like I've reversed something. I think this argument went wrong somewhere, but I can't tell where.

I've got it! This is a Fully General Argument. All it shows is that it's more complicated - it can't legitimately support a specific side. But I already dealt with this when I said that both ways are Fair and Objective, so it's pre-salvaged.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20387 on: June 01, 2018, 09:43:48 am »

I think this argument went wrong somewhere, but I can't tell where.

To be fair, the other side of the argument has probably been edited a dozen times since, each time finding a new and different way to misuse "e.g.", so some confusion is to be expected.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #20388 on: June 01, 2018, 10:50:13 am »

e.g.ads.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #20389 on: June 01, 2018, 11:02:34 am »

Wasn't it correct in my quote, though? It means "for example," right?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20390 on: June 01, 2018, 11:07:22 am »

probably means my stuff, i tend to write e.g. when I mean "thus" or similar, as a connective.

EDIT: though I think content-free criticisms of wording or grammar aren't really constructive or an example of good-faith discussion.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 11:12:33 am by Reelya »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20391 on: June 01, 2018, 11:13:46 am »

probably means my stuff, i tend to write e.g. when I mean "thus" or similar, as a connective.

EDIT: though I think content-free criticisms of wording or grammar aren't really constructive or an example of good-faith discussion.

e.g. what happened here?

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20392 on: June 01, 2018, 11:56:36 am »

Roe v. Wade settled this issue folks. Semantics are a fun arguing point though.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20393 on: June 01, 2018, 12:24:42 pm »

The US court system said it was ok, so that means it is.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20394 on: June 01, 2018, 12:29:46 pm »

Morality is a sociocultural construct of incredible fluidity.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20395 on: June 01, 2018, 12:37:11 pm »

Unless it's settled by the US court system, then it's a done deal.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20396 on: June 01, 2018, 12:42:43 pm »

You obviously misunderstood my point. It's legality was settled. Morality is irrelevant to the point. The quibble of pro-life pro-choice is the legality of abortion. Granted some people claim it's a moral issue, but deep down it's a legal question of rights.
He's fucking with us.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #20397 on: June 01, 2018, 12:53:56 pm »

Laws change. (And so does morality, on a long enough time scale.)
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20398 on: June 01, 2018, 01:00:00 pm »

I think my point is that the opposite is true, that saying that a thing is legal and morality is irrelevant throws aside every single thing that civil rights ever stood for and current social reforms are fighting for.

It's a convenient way to say that the way things are currently are the way I like them, and I don't want people to talk about changing it. The problem with institutionalized racism is a moral one. The problem with sexism and abuse that seems to run so rampantly in our celebrity class these days is a moral one. The problem with invading far away lands for profit at the expense of the population in question is a moral one. And finally, when someone says they believe an unborn baby is in fact the same as a born one in terms of a right to life and the morality of ending it, it's not a legal question.

EDIT: For the record, everyone here knows I'm a Christian... but I don't subscribe to the usual hardline stances on abortion that my fellow religionites tend to take.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 01:07:11 pm by Dunamisdeos »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #20399 on: June 01, 2018, 01:15:26 pm »

... so anyone else noticing reminders popping up that the hurricane related death toll from this administration's fuckups in puerto rico have hit something like seventy times the official count? There's variation depending on estimates and whatnot, but low end is "katrina happened again" and the likely ballpark is apparently "four thousand plus corpse tally". Starting to see the occasional tidbit on the subject, here and there.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 1358 1359 [1360] 1361 1362 ... 3567