Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1355 1356 [1357] 1358 1359 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4237396 times)

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: new thread subtitle pending
« Reply #20340 on: May 31, 2018, 03:44:16 pm »

To play devil's advocate a bit: isn't prison in the US actually better living conditions than many zip codes?

Less devil's advocate: the incarceration rate by itself is not a meaningful statistic.

Disclaimer:  Even without full context, a high incarceration rate is definitely troubling.  It's probably a symptom of at least a half-dozen other issues, some which are intentional (incarceration should not be a profit center!) and some which are likely just emergent (the cultural effects in certain demographics resulting from generations of systemic issues).

This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20341 on: May 31, 2018, 06:08:18 pm »

Trade war seems to be back on. Canada is leveling retaliatory tariffs and others are pissed and likely will as well.

Also constitutional amendment when?
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/05/31/615832255/one-more-to-go-illinois-ratifies-equal-rights-amendment

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #20342 on: May 31, 2018, 06:28:05 pm »

So, Samantha Bee called Ivanka Trump a feckless cunt, and conservative media seem to think it’s the same as Roseanne Barr comparing Valerie Jarrett to an ape.

I’m not so sure, but then again I come from a country that uses the word cunt to mean a multitude of things depending on context.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20343 on: May 31, 2018, 06:31:04 pm »

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/05/31/615832255/one-more-to-go-illinois-ratifies-equal-rights-amendment

It only barely passed?  Who would even vote no on something like that these days?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20344 on: May 31, 2018, 06:34:15 pm »

People who are Angry About The ERA don't like it because they think it implies there is sexism in the US, when they think there isn't and thus the amendment is "unnecessary".
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20345 on: May 31, 2018, 06:38:29 pm »

It only barely passed?  Who would even vote no on something like that these days?

Tribalism? Not sure either why something like that would even get a no vote either.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20346 on: May 31, 2018, 06:41:26 pm »

It just seems like political suicide.

"Representative X voted no on equality between men and women!"

But maybe ignorance shields them from that, since I admittedly didn't know about this until I saw the link.  Or are the votes anonymous?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #20347 on: May 31, 2018, 06:44:18 pm »

Now just picture Alex Jones shouting the stuff that Alex Jones normally shouts on his show. Do anything for ya? *waggles eyebrows*
Tell me again about the frogs, Jones.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #20348 on: May 31, 2018, 06:45:04 pm »

I’m not so sure, but then again I come from a country that uses the word cunt to mean a multitude of things depending on context.
There's no particular long history of racism tied up with that particular vulgarity in the US, no, unlike comparison to apes. Nor with feckless (which I'm relatively sure most people don't really know the meaning of offhand, for that matter). Not as far as I'm aware, anyway.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20349 on: May 31, 2018, 06:45:12 pm »

Donald Trump destroyed the concept of political suicide.

ERA opposition is something that will come as political nostalgia for quite a few boomers, including a disgustingly high number of women.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #20350 on: May 31, 2018, 07:02:35 pm »

I'm assuming some conservatives don't even know what feckless means, and therefore assume it must be racial.

Also here in the US "cunt" is the arch slur against women who you can't throw "whore" at. It's this interesting double standard I've noticed where, if in America a man calls a woman a cunt, it's almost the worst thing he can say. Like *gasp* worthy. However, if a woman calls another woman a cunt, then you know she's very very angry and means business and that is somehow ok.

But we seem to have this issue of tribalism around racial and gender slurs here in the US.

I wonder. Do gopniks get mad when non-gopniks call them gopniks? I'd kind of assume yes?

This whole line of discussion is probably treading dangerous waters.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 07:34:07 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20351 on: May 31, 2018, 07:12:47 pm »

There's also concern from pro-lifers that the ERA will be used to remove the restrictions they've placed on abortion on the grounds that they're discriminatory against women.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #20352 on: May 31, 2018, 07:26:35 pm »

The 14th Amendment* as modified by the 19th already does everything the ERA* would have done. It is already illegal and unconstitutional to pay women differently, or use gender as a critera for hiring, or any of the other abuses the ERA is meant to stop. The problem with gender equality in this country is not "there is no law to protect women" (which can be solved by something like the ERA), but a combination of "women aren't being treated equally despite the law" and "women suffer disproportionally from a lack of certain worker's protections for a variety of reasons" (a problem that simply making gender discrimination more illegal won't help).

These are not unsolvable problems, but they need to be addressed by measures that actually target the proper problem. For example, a measure guaranteeing paternity leave would help reduce the pressure on the mother of a new child to take time off (more than is medically necessary), which would in turn reduce the common "less time in position" issue that contributes heavily toward the pay gap.

"All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

"Equality of rights under the law shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of sex."

On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20353 on: May 31, 2018, 07:27:59 pm »

There's also concern from pro-lifers that the ERA will be used to remove the restrictions they've placed on abortion on the grounds that they're discriminatory against women.

That sounds a heck of a lot like a self admission that they know anti-abortion is discriminatory towards women.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #20354 on: May 31, 2018, 07:35:43 pm »

That sounds suspiciously like the common "Pro-lifers don't actually think abortion is murder, they just want women punished for daring to have sex!" strawman. A big part of pro-life argument is that anti-abortion laws are not gender discriminatory, because it is already illegal for men to murder their children out of convenience.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 1355 1356 [1357] 1358 1359 ... 3567