Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1350 1351 [1352] 1353 1354 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4233413 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: new thread subtitle pending
« Reply #20265 on: May 28, 2018, 04:56:43 am »

Huh. Pretty sure I read that book as a kid some time.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20266 on: May 28, 2018, 04:58:43 am »

It's the 1960s editions that have the pygmies. They'd be hard to come by. it's a rare case where a movie change was so obviously better that it got retconned into the original work.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #20267 on: May 28, 2018, 05:10:12 am »

I haven't read The Shining, but I've heard that's another extremely rare case of the film being better.  Heard the book ruins the horror by over-explaining everything and wrapping up a nicer ending.

Kubrik gets another with Clockwork Orange.  Again, I haven't read it, but heard that in the end they all grow up and turn into normal people.  The creepy gangster stuff was just a phase.  Movie ending was way more thought-provoking than how book ending has been described to me.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20268 on: May 28, 2018, 06:22:25 am »

https://amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/may/27/ivanka-trump-tweets-photo-backlash-border-separation-policy

"The reasoning by which the president held Democrats responsible for a policy announced and followed by his own administration was unclear"... Gotta love when a news agency just says "dude, I don't even know anymore".

As an aside, while the timing on that tweet was pretty damn bad, I feel it's maybe a touch harsh to attack Ivanka as vehemently as some have done for posting a picture of her with her kid.

I mean, hell, whole damn family is so far removed from reality that she probably had no idea what was going on.

There was a bit of a kerfuffle here in Norway when our previous minister of immigration and integration posted a "like and share if you agree!" Facebook post with a picture of middle eastern paramilitaries and text about how the Labor party cared more about the personal rights of terrorists than the safety of Norwegians...

...this was of course posted on the day of the premiere for the movie about July 22nd 2011, when Labor's youth camp got gunned down by, y'know, a terrorist. Again, timing.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20269 on: May 28, 2018, 06:51:25 am »

The Times also reported that the Department of Health and Human services had lost track of almost 1,500 migrant children placed with US sponsors after showing up at the border alone
Kind of worrying too. The government gives undocumented kids to random people, then forgets who got which kid.

EDIT: however they're still trying for the really scary thing, which is ending birthright citizenship
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/immigration/sd-me-birthright-citizenship-20170503-story.html

Ending that would be the surefire way to undermining basic democracy. e.g. having inter-generational permanent residents who don't get any citizenship protections: e.g. a permanent population of stateless non-citizen residents. The next step they'd push for if they got that through would be losing your citizenship for committing a felony, e.g. dooming you and your progeny to non-citizen status for eternity.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 07:00:38 am by Reelya »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20270 on: May 28, 2018, 06:57:35 am »

...... (Is reminded of the british child sex slave scandal).....
.....(Considers this a dangerously enabling circumstance).....

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20271 on: May 28, 2018, 06:06:27 pm »

They found some of those kids with human traffickers. I'm not in a place now to link to the article I read about it.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20272 on: May 28, 2018, 06:15:23 pm »

They found some of those kids with human traffickers. I'm not in a place now to link to the article I read about it.

The British ones or the current scandal over losing track of almost 1,500? The government says they aren’t responsible for tracking them down or responsible for losing them, but given that they are supposed to be monitoring where they are, of course they have responsibility.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20273 on: May 28, 2018, 06:25:45 pm »

The British ones or the current scandal over losing track of almost 1,500? The government says they aren’t responsible for tracking them down or responsible for losing them, but given that they are supposed to be monitoring where they are, of course they have responsibility.

Oops yeah, the current US one.

Basically, that bit about responsibility. People are fine if we spend our tax dollars to sell migrant children into literal, actual chattel slavery here in the US. Keeps egg prices down from the farms they found 8 of those kids in. Anything so long as they don't get medical care or go to school. We can't have that. Those are for the kids who were born in the right longitude, whose parents perform the bare minimum task of paying their taxes in order to avoid federal consequences.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20275 on: May 29, 2018, 02:13:57 pm »

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/05/29/615211939/abc-cancels-roseanne-after-abhorrent-twitter-rant-from-its-star

I'm shocked, shocked I say. /s

I, for one, held the back of my hand up to my forehead before fainting to the ground straight away. Some light fanning with a church pamphlet brought me back.

I do feel bad for the rest of the cast who had a chance to get back into acting, though. The show was doing well. Thanks Roseanne.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 02:37:31 pm by Dunamisdeos »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #20276 on: May 29, 2018, 02:32:49 pm »

Well, I guess her career is over.
Inb4 Alex Jones writes her a support cheque
http://www.newshub.co.nz/home/world/2018/05/alex-jones-gives-3000-to-grown-man-who-won-t-leave-home.html
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #20277 on: May 29, 2018, 02:37:51 pm »

Roseanne was and is a comic. On seeing the headline I went "Oh no, did Roseanne go alt right?"

No. Turns out she was doing what most comics do. Unfortunately I think she forgot what it means to be a comic with national recognition: the same thing that made you famous can sink you in a heartbeat. I read that joke and thought "Yeah that seems pretty standard for Roseanne." But putting Muslims and monkeys in the same punchline was bound to trigger someone. Plenty of other comics could have made that joke and probably been alright. But most comics haven't been famous for the last 30 years and are trying to revive a nationally syndicated TV show.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20278 on: May 29, 2018, 02:50:49 pm »

twitter was a mistake

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20279 on: May 29, 2018, 02:55:48 pm »

Looks like someone fired a fat pile of rockets/mortars at Israel, some of which hit Palestinian power lines, others of which hit a kindergarten. The kindergarten was not full of kids, because school had not yet started. Hamas supposedly participated in the rocket attacks.

Israel apparently responded with a major air force strike, hitting around 30 targets/bases. The UN appears to be condemning the rocket attack rather than the response. Here's the CNN article.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/29/middleeast/gaza-israel-airstrikes-intl/index.html
Pages: 1 ... 1350 1351 [1352] 1353 1354 ... 3567