Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1266 1267 [1268] 1269 1270 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4235192 times)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: cabinet reshuffle shuffle shuffle
« Reply #19005 on: April 13, 2018, 08:50:49 pm »

Reading comprehension check:

The UK and France are *also* attacking suspected Syrian chemical-weapons sites (production, distribution, deployment, etc.), and possibly some other military targets as well.

This isn't just Trump, and it's not a stupid idea.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #19006 on: April 13, 2018, 09:01:44 pm »

it's not a stupid idea.
That's the point!
It isn't completely idiotic, that's why it's surprising!
And this too, is terrifying!
In a time before time, I had a name.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19007 on: April 13, 2018, 09:04:03 pm »

it's not a stupid idea.
That's the point!
It isn't completely idiotic, that's why it's surprising!
And this too, is terrifying!
...I can't argue with the truth.

Anyway, for some hopefully reliable information on what's happened so far: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-43762251.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #19008 on: April 13, 2018, 09:11:57 pm »

It's Trump and other world leaders from what I understand. Great Britain and France I think are also in on the action. Which is good. I'm glad that we haven't completely terrified our allies.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19009 on: April 13, 2018, 09:12:23 pm »

False flag attack or not, whether Syria was the aggressor with chemical weapons or it was one of the many factions, it never mattered in the first place. Syria's going to continue to be attacked. Maybe this is grand retribution for the Assyrian campaigns of old. Either way, sabers gonna rattle and rocks are gonna get thrown some more.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19010 on: April 13, 2018, 09:14:55 pm »

Oh yeah, today's the day Trump finally became President. We can finally get those terrorist scum in Syria, take out Assad and his five hundred burka-clad wives with the unstoppable force of the United States Airforce. Make ground beef out of all of em. Oorah.

And then we can send in our boys to teach those Arab barbarians just what freedom and democracy looks like, build up a vital ally to the prestige of the United States of America in the region, and break the back of their heathen religion. Peace with those types just ain't realistic, you know what I mean?

Except that, no, military imperialism is actually completely idiotic.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19011 on: April 13, 2018, 09:18:52 pm »

France and Britain seem even more eager for this fight than Trump is. But it looks like blatant bullshittery will drag the USA and the rest of the West into yet another literally pointless war in the Middle East. Trump just couldn't resist taking the b8, despite everything, and ulterior motives abound. It's frustrating.

Pentagon claimed this is a one-off strike.

I hope this is the end of it. I'm not interested in fighting Israel's wars for them.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #19012 on: April 13, 2018, 09:22:12 pm »

Yeah, if this is just an retaliatory attack, it should be a good reminder that actions have consequence.
Going all the way here will not help anyone.
Not more than currently, anyway.
In a time before time, I had a name.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #19013 on: April 13, 2018, 09:24:08 pm »

If France and Great Britain want to take this one... I wouldn't mind. Assad is a whole nother level of bull-shittery that needed to resign before the Civil War. I doubt that they will do anything other than these sorts of surgical strikes, but anything that destroys Assad's ability to massacre his own civilians is a good thing.

But yeah. The U.S. does NOT need to be involving itself in more wars any time soon.

Thinking about it now, it's kind of... Odd. I don't know what a peaceful Middle East looks like and that is distressing.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19014 on: April 13, 2018, 09:32:20 pm »

So they're *trying* to avoid a bigger fight in Syria.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #19015 on: April 13, 2018, 09:44:56 pm »

Trump declared that we would continue attacking Syria until they stop using chemical weapons.
Pentagon said that no further strikes are planned, unless Syria uses chemical weapons again.

So these statements are a bit contradictory...but we can probably assume that it's just another case of Trump not fully understanding what he's actually saying.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19016 on: April 13, 2018, 09:49:29 pm »

If France and Great Britain want to take this one... I wouldn't mind. Assad is a whole nother level of bull-shittery that needed to resign before the Civil War. I doubt that they will do anything other than these sorts of surgical strikes, but anything that destroys Assad's ability to massacre his own civilians is a good thing.

But yeah. The U.S. does NOT need to be involving itself in more wars any time soon.

Thinking about it now, it's kind of... Odd. I don't know what a peaceful Middle East looks like and that is distressing.

I'd prefer them doing it to us doing it, but it's best that it not happen at all. I'm not sure why the Western powers want this war to go on for as long as humanly possible, but that's what they're pushing for. Never mind how fucking dubious this thing is, what do they even gain from pushing the whole situation in the first place?

Trump declared that we would continue attacking Syria until they stop using chemical weapons.
Pentagon said that no further strikes are planned, unless Syria uses chemical weapons again.

So these statements are a bit contradictory...but we can probably assume that it's just another case of Trump not fully understanding what he's actually saying.

It means that "retaliatory strikes" will follow future incidents such as this one.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19017 on: April 13, 2018, 09:57:53 pm »

They actually aren't contradictory in the slightest. Trump phrased his more aggressively, but basically, if there's no more chemical attacks, then they HAVE stopped using chemical weapons, and no more strikes are necessary. So missiles are fired only once or so per chemical attack until Assad stops.

Hopefully he'll stop sooner rather than later. Hopefully they actually managed to get every single chemical weapon stockpile and production center with these strikes.

Hopefully tomorrow we invent a usable fusion reactor and a Star Trek-like replicator machine.

Tune in tomorrow for more Hopelessly Naive Optimism!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19018 on: April 13, 2018, 10:09:49 pm »

Either way, sabers gonna rattle and rocks are gonna get thrown some more.

Really big rocks, that happen to be made of high-explosive and are attached to rockets.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19019 on: April 13, 2018, 10:14:35 pm »

This isn't just Trump, and it's not a stupid idea.
I didn't say the button was hooked up to anything, just that he was mashing on it like a big stupid toddler throwing a tantrum. It happens to be the case that other adults in the room are going to help blow shit up in syria but there is no way this is about actually stopping war crimes to the big orange bitchbaby; he's trying to distract people.
Might want to hang on to that comprehension check, I do all my banking electronically anyways.
Pages: 1 ... 1266 1267 [1268] 1269 1270 ... 3567