Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1240 1241 [1242] 1243 1244 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4228636 times)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: cabinet reshuffle shuffle shuffle
« Reply #18615 on: March 28, 2018, 10:32:53 pm »

It is out of date (it was originally written in 1868), and subsequent junk has patched up that sort of stuff. Mostly, at the absolute least.

That said, fixed, yes, ignored, no. Pretty sure the 14th was a fairly notable step up from the situation at the time. Most folks I've noticed suggesting abolishing or ignoring it are pretty incredibly shitty people.
Pretty much.  I pointed out that the precise part that was complained about was fixed a mere...oh, 94 years ago, now.  Heck, it was even conveniently on the very next line trimmed from the quote in the complaint. ^_^

Indeed, since it was my post that apparently triggered this outburst, I can probably go into a bit of detail.  Because it *has* already been fixed, abolishing or replacing the 14th amendment typically boils down to shutting down representation based on population, with the most common replacement to my knowledge being to replace it with representation based on citizenship instead.  The reason Native Americans were so contentious, or perhaps more accurately the fig-leaf for this particular facet of the citizenship argument of that day (it's an old argument), was because Native Americans weren't "just" US citizens, even if they renounced their tribes (according to federal courts in McKay v. Campbell and, nationally, Elk v. Wilkins); they're citizens of their tribes, semi-sovereign entities or "domestic dependent nations" that enter into treaty compacts with the United States government.  The contradictions herein in the US simultaneously treating with native tribes as both sovereign states and non-sovereign territories subject to American rule based on which was more convenient were rather elided over because of the views of the day, and extending the rights of citizenship took until 1924 legally, with the provisions not fully enforced until the courts came down hard in 1948.  However, they did, and they did so without the rigorous requirements of a constitutional amendment.  That's obviously not to say that native tribes live a charmed life today, but the problems therein don't have much to do with the 14th Amendment. 
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 10:41:00 pm by Culise »

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18616 on: March 28, 2018, 11:01:29 pm »

Right now the fun thing we do is completely fail to do anything to enforce laws on native land. Leaving the tribal police both overwhelmed and without the right to properly prosecute crimes committed by non non tribe members.

Which is how this happens: https://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2013/02/on-indian-land-criminals-can-get-away-with-almost-anything/273391/

Discrimination is alive and strong.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18617 on: March 28, 2018, 11:58:30 pm »

It is out of date (it was originally written in 1868), and subsequent junk has patched up that sort of stuff. Mostly, at the absolute least.

That said, fixed, yes, ignored, no. Pretty sure the 14th was a fairly notable step up from the situation at the time. Most folks I've noticed suggesting abolishing or ignoring it are pretty incredibly shitty people.
Pretty much.  I pointed out that the precise part that was complained about was fixed a mere...oh, 94 years ago, now.  Heck, it was even conveniently on the very next line trimmed from the quote in the complaint. ^_^

Indeed, since it was my post that apparently triggered this outburst, I can probably go into a bit of detail.  Because it *has* already been fixed, abolishing or replacing the 14th amendment typically boils down to shutting down representation based on population, with the most common replacement to my knowledge being to replace it with representation based on citizenship instead.  The reason Native Americans were so contentious, or perhaps more accurately the fig-leaf for this particular facet of the citizenship argument of that day (it's an old argument), was because Native Americans weren't "just" US citizens, even if they renounced their tribes (according to federal courts in McKay v. Campbell and, nationally, Elk v. Wilkins); they're citizens of their tribes, semi-sovereign entities or "domestic dependent nations" that enter into treaty compacts with the United States government.  The contradictions herein in the US simultaneously treating with native tribes as both sovereign states and non-sovereign territories subject to American rule based on which was more convenient were rather elided over because of the views of the day, and extending the rights of citizenship took until 1924 legally, with the provisions not fully enforced until the courts came down hard in 1948.  However, they did, and they did so without the rigorous requirements of a constitutional amendment.  That's obviously not to say that native tribes live a charmed life today, but the problems therein don't have much to do with the 14th Amendment. 

For sure. A surprising amount of the legal foundation for relations between the United States and Native groups is composed of treaties signed
a good deal more than 100 years ago.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18618 on: March 29, 2018, 12:38:41 am »

Shulkin is out. Not a huge surprise in and of itself, but this is the fifth major departure from the Trump administration this month. Previously we've seen little clusters of people leave, like how Priebus followed Spicer or Gorka left a week after Bannon, interspersed with periods of relative stability; now people are leaving somewhat consistently at a rate of about one every 5.8 days. It will be interesting to see if Carson, Zinke, or Pruitt are removed at a similar rate, which might suggest this is Trump trying to use firings already justifiable ethically to try to wrest media attention away from Mueller or the whole Daniels thing.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #18619 on: March 29, 2018, 02:01:47 am »

For sure. A surprising amount of the legal foundation for relations between the United States and Native groups is composed of treaties signed
a good deal more than 100 years ago.
And a SCOTUS decision that the massive asshole Andrew Jackson promptly ignored...

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18620 on: March 29, 2018, 02:12:07 am »

And a SCOTUS decision that the massive asshole Andrew Jackson promptly ignored...
The "Jackson ignored Worcester v. Georgia" story is generally regarded as a myth. As far as we can tell he never actually said the "now let him enforce it" thing, and Worcester didn't actually place any obligations on Jackson for him to ignore.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18621 on: March 29, 2018, 03:18:34 am »

Shulkin is out

Aaaaaaaaand.... Trump replaced him with.... His personal doctor.

What's next, he's going to make his plumber minister of infrastructure?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18622 on: March 29, 2018, 03:40:00 am »

Shulkin is out

Put his landscaper in charge of the new Political Wetland Amelioration Bureau

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18623 on: March 29, 2018, 03:58:03 am »

Shulkin is out

Just draining the swamp man, just draining the swamp. You know he never said what he'd replace it with. A sewer aint a swamp.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18624 on: March 29, 2018, 05:24:51 am »

Second amendment under fire by former US Supreme Court judge, the (moderate) conservative John Paul Stevens.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/27/opinion/john-paul-stevens-repeal-second-amendment.html

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18625 on: March 29, 2018, 06:01:06 am »

Second amendment under fire by former US Supreme Court judge, the (moderate) conservative John Paul Stevens.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/27/opinion/john-paul-stevens-repeal-second-amendment.html

You're going to have people say extreme things for attention and media giving them a soapbox for the same reason. But the fact is support for full repeal is in the minority. I don't see any calls for it being realistic within this generation.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2018/03/27/one-in-five-americans-want-the-second-amendment-to-be-repealed-national-survey-finds/

Only 1 in 5 support and even only 39% among democrats.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 06:05:33 am by sluissa »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18626 on: March 29, 2018, 06:01:30 am »

Shulkin is out

He's the White House Physician, not Trump's private doctor. He's a carreer naval doctor first nominated by Obama. Still a odd choice, he doesn't seem to have a ton of management experience.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18627 on: March 29, 2018, 06:37:16 am »

Probably a case of 'I guess this guy has been in and around the White House longer than anyone else here'.

That, or the good doctor just told him 'make me minister or I will disclose the REAL results of your medical and mental tests'
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 06:39:08 am by martinuzz »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #18628 on: March 29, 2018, 08:39:38 am »

Shulkin is saying he was ousted because he didn’t support privatizing the VA.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #18629 on: March 29, 2018, 11:38:01 am »

By the way, has it been mentioned that Cynthia Nixon is challenging Cuomo for governor in NY?

I'll be honest: I still like Cuomo, but the man seems to need to be in hot water to get anything done. If no one's lighting a fire under his ass he's too damn passive.
Shulkin is saying he was ousted because he didn’t support privatizing the VA.
This is alarming if true.

Surprising to see such openness from an official like this. Usually, it takes weeks before they find their voice. I wonder if that means he was removed out of nowhere or if it was just the breaking point.

Speaking of bureaucrats, here's an article on Bolton, arguing that in addition to his well-known "nuke the world" policy views, he's also a surprisingly adept bureaucratic knife-fighter, which may serve him well in this White House. Maybe a little too well...
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 01:52:20 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: 1 ... 1240 1241 [1242] 1243 1244 ... 3567