Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1224 1225 [1226] 1227 1228 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4228303 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: cabinet reshuffle shuffle shuffle
« Reply #18375 on: March 22, 2018, 11:50:26 am »

Indeed.  This is because of the hyperbolic invictive of "Treason!" used by every nutjob out there.  An actual bona-fide instance of actual high treason, would be so out of the ordinary, and so dangerous, that the court system would want to clamp down on it with 100 million metric fucktons of judicial oversight and review, to ensure that any precedent set by it could not be flagrantly used by morons.

That said, the prescribed remedy put forth in really dusty old papers that have never been used, is capital punishment.

RE: Lethal injection

Oklahoma has been .... infamous... lately in their botched excutions via leathal injection, since they cannot get the drugs normally used for this purpose, as the drug makers REFUSE to sell it to them, as it is not the purpose for which the drug is manufactured.  Since the primary means of execution is not reliable, and Oklahoma DOES have firing squad as standby execution methodology, death by firingsquad could well be prescribed by a state court, especially since they have yet to produce a new primary method officially.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 11:54:52 am by wierd »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18376 on: March 22, 2018, 11:54:09 am »

I'm not sure, but I think even the Netherlands still has the death penalty for high treason in martial law. Civil and criminal law have abolished it though, but there hasn't been a reason to review martial law on the matter since WW2.
I could be wrong though, perhaps it's abolised there too.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #18377 on: March 22, 2018, 12:01:10 pm »

I'm not sure, but I think even the Netherlands still has the death penalty for high treason in martial law. Civil and criminal law have abolished it though, but there hasn't been a reason to review martial law on the matter since WW2.
I could be wrong though, perhaps it's abolised there too.
I thought the EU required the death penalty to be abolished, or does that not apply to martial law?
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18378 on: March 22, 2018, 12:03:21 pm »

Possible. I'm old, I might still have pre-EU things in my memory.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18379 on: March 22, 2018, 01:01:02 pm »

Possible. I'm old, I might still have pre-EU things in my memory.
According to wikipedia they removed the military execution option from Dutch law in 1983.

Ametsala

• Bay Watcher
  • "needs chocolate to get through the working day"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18380 on: March 22, 2018, 01:24:45 pm »

I thought the EU required the death penalty to be abolished, or does that not apply to martial law?

It's not an EU thing, it's a UN thing: Second Optional Protocol to the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, aiming at the abolition of the death penalty (UN's page). Signatories have abolished death penalty in all cases during war and peace, unless a reservation was made for cases "in time of war pursuant to a conviction for a most serious crime of a military nature committed during wartime". The only EU country that's still got such reservation is Greece.

---

Edit: And suddenly we're talking EU things in the Ameripol thread... Quick! Find something Ameripol related in the news... Joe Biden desires to ‘beat the hell’ out of Trump! ...In the 2020 Presidential elections... Trump is not amused.

Wait, it's campaign time for the next US Presidential elections already? But the current President hasn't even published his tax returns yet!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 01:36:39 pm by Ametsala »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #18381 on: March 22, 2018, 02:16:29 pm »

Trump has already appointed a campaign manager, man. Gottagofast.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18382 on: March 22, 2018, 05:31:14 pm »

Trump just replaced National Security Advisor H.R. McMaster with John Bolton, RIP peace.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18383 on: March 22, 2018, 05:38:04 pm »

Trump just replaced National Security Advisor H.R. McMaster with John Bolton, RIP peace.
Break out the tank loudspeakers, the new boss is in town.

EDIT: wrong John Bolton, sorry. apparently this is some UN Ambassador. I actually thought that was trolling at first, checked AP to make sure.

EDIT2: Damn, I agree with the whole "farewell peace" thing.  :O
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 05:44:51 pm by Doomblade187 »
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18384 on: March 22, 2018, 05:56:55 pm »

He's not just 'some ambassador', he took part in the whole run-up to the Iraq war including the manipulation of intel, is a hardcore hawk on Iran and NK, wants regieme change in both, wants to do pre-emptive strikes on NK.

The most concerning part isn't the fact that he's a hardcore hawk on Iran and NK, there'd be plenty of reasonable candidates who would be the same, it's that he's been implicated in the whole 'there are WMDs in Iraq!' fakery and that he's not above selectively feeding/cherrypicking intel that would get Trump to do what he'd like to do. In short, if you wanted a warmonger for National Security Advisor, he's your guy.

I suppose that theres a slight silver lining in that I don't imagine him having any love for Russia.

edit: Or maybe not, someone on another forum said that Bolton has been pretty pro-Russia over the last couple years.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 06:00:12 pm by smjjames »

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18385 on: March 22, 2018, 06:02:48 pm »

-snip-
edit: Or maybe not, someone on another forum said that Bolton has been pretty pro-Russia over the last couple years.
Ooh.

It does help explain his nomination at least.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18386 on: March 22, 2018, 06:05:23 pm »

-snip-
Ooh.

It does help explain his nomination at least.

He does talk on Fox news, which would definetly explain his nomination. I have no idea whether Trump is aware of Bolton's role behind the Iraq war, the very thing that Trump has said was a terrible idea.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #18387 on: March 22, 2018, 06:08:55 pm »

I'm guessing it will take a great deal less (faked) intel to get Trump to go to war, versus Geedub.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18388 on: March 22, 2018, 06:46:00 pm »

Meanwhile on the economic front, Trump has announced new tariffs specifically targeted at Chinese products worth 60 billion dollars per year.
The new tariffs will apply to robotics, high velocity trains, electric cars, and space technology.
According to Trump, te new tariffs are 'a punishment for China's economic aggression'.
He also accuses China of stealing technology and intellectual property of US companies.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18389 on: March 22, 2018, 06:52:39 pm »

I wonder, why doesn't Trump just push the big red button and glass the entire planet already?

Why does he make us suffer like this?
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.
Pages: 1 ... 1224 1225 [1226] 1227 1228 ... 3567