Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 953 954 [955] 956 957 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4201952 times)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile

A) he shouted "Allahu Akbar", kind of gives the game away, B) connection to ISIS isn't a prerequisite for terrorism, there are other terrorist groups and some terrorists even act alone!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

White dude guns down literally hundreds of people:
"Lone crazy, what can you do? Ban bump stocks? Yeah, sure maybe we'lldo something, but not really"

Swarthy Muslim dude runs over eight bicyclists:
"OH MY GOD SEAL THE BORDERS NOW"

No disrespect intended towards the victims or their families, but I've heard of redneck bar fights with a bigger casualty count. But I'm sure this will dominate the news cycle disproportionate to that, and Trump is probably thanking Allah for something else to shift the national discussion to at this moment.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The guy is reportedly from Uzbekistan and came in 2010, how long before Trump bans people from the 'stan' countries? Though I'm sure he'd find a way to blame Obama.

Also, the guy was weilding (but didn't use, or didn't get a chance) so called 'imitation weapons' a bb gun and a paintball gun. I wonder in what ways the gun laws worked this time, since he couldn't get any 'real' guns, him not being an us citizen might be part of it.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

The guy is reportedly from Uzbekistan and came in 2010, how long before Trump bans people from the 'stan' countries? Though I'm sure he'd find a way to blame Obama.

Also, the guy was weilding (but didn't use, or didn't get a chance) so called 'imitation weapons' a bb gun and a paintball gun. I wonder in what ways the gun laws worked this time, since he couldn't get any 'real' guns, him not being an us citizen might be part of it.
Trump's already tweeted that he's working hard to keep something like this from happening in the USA. Because Manhattan is apparently South Canada or some shit. *shrug*

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

That's even worse than Dubya pretending to be Texan. Trump's name is literally on NYC!
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

At least he has the birth certificate to show that he was born and raised in NYC.

Or does he???? ;D
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 08:24:02 pm by smjjames »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A few truck attacks over in Europe also had an ending involving fake or otherwise less than optimal weapons for such a situation. One involved fake explosives strapped to the driver. Others involved knives.

Almost sounding like it's part of the plan at this point. Perhaps as a way to ensure they're shot and killed on the spot rather than captured without requiring they gain access to weapons that would draw attention.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

White dude guns down literally hundreds of people:
"Lone crazy, what can you do? Ban bump stocks? Yeah, sure maybe we'lldo something, but not really"
Of course the difference is that terrorism is defined by having an ideology; when it comes to raw murder counts, the urban drug trade dwarfs either of those, but nobody's pretending we should consider that terrorism. Most mass shooters like that, regardless of race or sex, genuinely are motivated by personal opinions you really can't do anything about, not by culture, and, to be frank, there's nothing we should do about that. The goal was never to prevent all possibility of violence, because that's impossible and also stupid.

Because Manhattan is apparently South Canada or some shit. *shrug*
Live in upstate, can confirm. :P

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

A) he shouted "Allahu Akbar", kind of gives the game away,
Quote from: Wikipedia
Just before a Garuda Airbus A300B-4 crashed into the jungle near Medan, Indonesia, the pilot screamed "Aaaaaaah! Allahu Akbar!" into his radio. According to a radio communication transcript, the pilot's conversation with the air controller had been in English, but his last words were this Arabic phrase as the plane crashed on September 26, 1997, killing all 234 people aboard in Indonesia's deadliest crash. It was suspected that the crash may have been due to either disorientation or engine failure caused by local dense smog resulting from forest fires.[12][13]

Sure. Anyone involved in an accident (this one involves a plane, no less!) shouting takbir is a terrorist.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sure. Anyone involved in an accident (this one involves a plane, no less!) shouting takbir is a terrorist.
I neither said nor implied that and you know it. :P

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

... Actually, no, I don't know that. You said "A) he shouted 'Allahu Akbar,' kind of gives the game away," in relation to "they're calling it a terrorist attack because of the 'Obvious, visible reasons,'" right? Which implies that "Allahu Akbar" is an "obvious, visible reason" to call something a terrorist attack.

Which implies that people shouting "Allahu Akbar" are "obvious, visible" terrorists [at least when there's an event like this, which I've already explained in my directly previous post how That Is Wrong.]

Unless that *wasn't* in relation to the post directly before yours, which it seems to be directly answering. OR you were poor in writing what you were trying to say.

Oh; and even if it was someone deliberately attacking people, it doesn't automatically make it ideologically motivated if they shout takbir during it; for much the same reasons, takbir also comes when you're in a stressful/high stakes situation, like trying to kill people for any number of reasons. From "I'm going postal because of work stress," to "I'm literally high as balls on I don't even know how many drugs," to "I'm a high functioning sociopath who stopped functioning." To "I'm a diiiick, suck my baaaaalls, you're all wooooorthless, suck my baaaaalls." Honestly, I don't know why people would attack other people like this, so my list of motivations is wonky.

Takbir is evidence that they're Muslim, or were raised Muslim. It's not evidence that this is an ideologically/politically motivated attack.*

*which is one of the few definitions of "terrorism" that doesn't just make *any*thing count as terrorism; an attack intending to forward a political ideology. I mean, if you just call anything that makes people terrified "terrorism," that's literally any attack. *any* attack makes people shit bricks; they're being attacked! Of course they're terrified! So that definition doesn't work.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 11:56:22 pm by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: Mueller investigation charges Manafort and bis. assoc. Gates withfraud
« Reply #14322 on: November 01, 2017, 12:11:46 am »

Of course, you can also flip that around and ask how it was that someone this inept could actually carry out such an attack without being noticed in the planning stages. I know it's not that simple, but it does suggest that perhaps we could be doing more to divert people like this into doing harmless but incriminating things, like that guy who tried to detonate a fake fertilizer bomb the FBI gave him.

I mean, eight is eight too many, even though we have to balance security with liberty and efficient use of security resources, but this suggests to me it's worth considering how well-tuned our system is for catching idiots.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: Mueller investigation charges Manafort and bis. assoc. Gates withfraud
« Reply #14323 on: November 01, 2017, 12:45:55 am »

ABC news says he does.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/page?id=13248168

I was pulling (or rather, tried to pull) a birther joke out of the birth certificate remark, hence the smiley.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 12:49:04 am by smjjames »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14324 on: November 01, 2017, 12:51:27 am »

Descan, generally: I wish to clarify that I was being facetious, then.
Pages: 1 ... 953 954 [955] 956 957 ... 3566