Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 924 925 [926] 927 928 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4188656 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

I'm at least 50% certain that Kelly has started thinking of Trump in terms of dealing with an FNG who you can't yell at. All these stories about his "advice" and "herding" Trump to areas of the White House where he can't do harm...it'd be hilarious if it wasn't mortally terrifying.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

FNG who you can't yell at.
That's a pretty damned good description of Trump. I also like Barry Switzer's "Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple."

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile

McCain really has zero fucks left to give.

“Has your relationship with the president frayed to the point that you are not going to support anything that he comes to you and asks for?” Doocy asked.

“Why would you say something that stupid?” McCain shot back, glaring at Doocy. “Why would you ask something that dumb? Huh?”

The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

“Has your relationship with the president frayed to the point that you are not going to support anything that he comes to you and asks for?” Doocy asked.

“Why would you say something that stupid?” McCain shot back, glaring at Doocy. “Why would you ask something that dumb? Huh?”
Tbh that question was really fucking stupid

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Tbh that question was really fucking stupid

That's typical fox news. I don't think there's ever a question on there that isn't loaded like that.
Question was basically "Can we get it on the record that you're now the enemy and we can start smearing you full time?"

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

I sense the death of 95% of the current world poplation within 100 years
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile

Sweden is in the middle of a hyper super housing bubble. Again. It's going to be fun when it bursts. Again. It's not going to be fun when the Social Democrats, now 20 years more neo-liberal, won't have the balls or even the sense to hold the banks to account for it even to the small extent they did in the 90"s (no punishment, just bought the banks to make sure they got saddled with the task of fixing it, then sold the banks back to themselves over a  few years).
Love, scriver~

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile

Canada has a house bubble as well
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile

New York has an inflated housing situation for luxury bullshit. We have Wall-street financiers being priced out by ultra-billionaires who oftentimes literally don't even live here (both New York specifically, and America generally). A large number of Russians and Chinese mega-billionaires, but also Mexico, and others. From what I've heard and seen, there are two reasons:
  • The hell of it ("Haha I own a Manhattan luxury condo"),
  • There's some sort of massive scheme going on where ultra-rich, particularly foreigners, are hiding their money in Manhattan Real Estate.
It's completely ridiculous. I think the worst of it was back in May/June/July 2016 though, it's possible the bubble popped (or at least deflated) around then.

Here's a 2015 article on the shell companies buying luxury condos in New York for both American and foreign ultrawealthy. From that article: Did you know half of purchases of places over $5M in New York was done through shell companies? Here's another on the bubble's apparent burst back in mid-2016. New York is probably one of the only places in the world where sanctions on other countries have a significant effect on our housing market.
FNG who you can't yell at.
That's a pretty damned good description of Trump. I also like Barry Switzer's "Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple."
That's also pretty good, but I think I'd edit it a bit: Donald Trump was born on Third Base and thinks he hit a Home Run. (Also, go Yankees).
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That reminds me of Hazim Shaalan. He was the guy hand-picked by the Bush administration to be the interim government defense minister in Iraq.

What was his background? Military? Government? Business? Nope, he was an exile who was a CIA contact in Britain but he was on the dole. So ... they put this unemployed dude who was mates with the Bush Administration in charge of the rebuilding entire Iraq war machine after the invasion.

So what did he do? He more or less stole the entire defense budget and used it to by luxury apartments in the arab enclave in London. Kinda helps explain why the Iraq military took so long to rebuild, right? He's now wanted for a couple of billion dollars worth of missing money:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2005/sep/20/iraq.michaelhoward

This would seem like a fuck-up but then you have the fact that the Bush Administration also hand-picked a company to oversee the auditing of all Iraq spending who weren't accountants. Northstar Consulting was the company, run out of a dude's spare bedroom, and his normal business was installing kitchens. Suffice to say, he's not a chartered accountant, but he was hand picked for the job of tracking $12 billion in spending, mind you. $9 billion of that money went missing. Trump may seem bad but he's not as corrupt as the Cheney / Rumsfeld team. Basically a bunch of people they inexplicably hand-picked for roles dealing with insanely large amounts of money just up and pocketed the money or turned a blind eye while the vast bulk of the money was stolen. Cheney's company Haliburton got $25 billion out of the deal, and Rumsfeld went out of his way to demote people who tried to audit what they were doing. It was a two-man con team. Cheney and Rumsfeld served together in every Republican administration since Nixon.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 11:39:47 am by Reelya »

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is probably going to be a completely stupid statement to make, but for some reason (I honestly do not know what) I have this feeling in the back of my head that the next economic crash is soon. Not sure exactly what it is that made me come to this, but it's like a little switch flipped in my head- not even paranoia or anything. There's no fear, just a kind of "yeah, shit's probably going downhill soon".

Probably nothing to worry about.

You're not the only one saying that. Granted, there are always doomsayers, but the signs are there that something big is approaching and I think how as a nation, maybe even globally to some extent, how we react to it is going to determine the final damage totals. I think 2008 was just a preview. And we handled that poorly.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile

Re: housing bubble:  I feel like the age of the house is over.  I've made my peace with renting for the rest of forever.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Marx's historical materialism : everyone will end up renting, and after that it will just seem like a better deal that you rent from a non-profit housing co-op than from a for-profit business. With a housing co-op then you'd get a voice about how things are run, too.

Marx was always talking about the eventual rise of grass-roots communalism btw, not a monolithic state, and the demise of home ownership would seem to just usher that in. A non-profit housing group run similar to a credit-union would in fact be more efficient in obtaining new housing stock than for-profit landlords.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 11:50:06 am by Reelya »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

Forget renting, we'll just form bands of armed squatters and colonize abandoned housing.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile

Soooo.... Texas?
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 924 925 [926] 927 928 ... 3566