Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 865 866 [867] 868 869 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4201766 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: ACA repeal fails, Sen. Bob Corker retireing, Alabama embarrasses Trump
« Reply #12990 on: September 28, 2017, 12:12:08 am »

Metals strengthen the bones, you know?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: ACA repeal fails, Sen. Bob Corker retireing, Alabama embarrasses Trump
« Reply #12991 on: September 28, 2017, 02:45:17 am »

That isn't what that selection says, it means policies blocking lead cost more than any benefits created by said policies, but it's written in a shitty manner to no surprise given the site.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12992 on: September 28, 2017, 03:36:19 am »

In fact one of the lead researchers did a soil survey around New Orleans, and then compared that to the local police's crime hotspots map, there was a good correlation with contaminated soil and violent neighborhoods.
Not that I don't think that may be linked, but correlation≠causation, and in this instance it could be that (say) older neighbourhoods that have been longer exposed to pre-1992ish leaded car fumes are possibly more likely to be both poorer and more crime-ridden than more recent greenfield housing developments (and quieter roads) built after then.

With any luck, the researchers normalised for this sort of thing. If they could. But it's a thing to think about, if they didn't.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12993 on: September 28, 2017, 03:44:02 am »

(@anti smoking stuff)

While smoking is bad for you and I dislike that whole spin that it is not, (I mean seriously how obvious can it be that intentionally inhaling smoke into a system only designed to take in air with only some minor filtration ability is bad for you, regardless of what anyone else says) I do kinda have to agree with the annoyance about the lawsuits.

I sell cigarettes, cigars, and what people call 'blunt wraps' at work. I believe that whatever someone does to their own body is their business, but they can't just ignore the consequences.  Every single person that starts talking about them knows exactly how bad they are for them, yet they still smoke.  And I'm not just talking the older folks.  I'm talking the folks my age too, that I know grew up learning about exactly how addictive the damn things are and decided to smoke them anyway. 

I know that my multiple cans of dr pepper a day is going to bite me in the ass as I get older, but I made my peace with that fact.  I'm not going to sue Dr Pepper over things that everybody already goddamn knows.  With maybe the exception of the elderly, smokers knew exactly what they were getting into as well, and I have zero sympathy, they made their bed, they can sleep in it.  Yea tobacco companies sell death, but people still buy it, and I seriously doubt any of those buying don't know it.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 03:52:32 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12994 on: September 28, 2017, 03:50:59 am »

In fact one of the lead researchers did a soil survey around New Orleans, and then compared that to the local police's crime hotspots map, there was a good correlation with contaminated soil and violent neighborhoods.
Not that I don't think that may be linked, but correlation≠causation, and in this instance it could be that (say) older neighbourhoods that have been longer exposed to pre-1992ish leaded car fumes are possibly more likely to be both poorer and more crime-ridden than more recent greenfield housing developments (and quieter roads) built after then.

With any luck, the researchers normalised for this sort of thing. If they could. But it's a thing to think about, if they didn't.

If it was just that data point then sure. Except we have multiple studies at each of the

(1) personal level - mapping individual lead exposure to the behavior
(2) neighborhood levels - mapping localized lead exposure to the same behaviors found in individuals exposed to lead.
(3) studies at the city vs city level
(4) studies at the state vs state level
(5) studies comparing nations
(6) time-based as well as location-based correlations

So yeah it's pretty well established. I also out of interest once looked up a 1995 map of nations that hadn't phased out leaded gasoline at that point, here:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=146257.0

At that point in time, when I wrote that, the top 4 nations for homicide were "Honduras, Venezuela, United States Virgin Islands and Belize". While the only Western Hemisphere nations that hadn't got rid of leaded gasoline by 1995 were Honduras, Venezuela, United States Virgin Islands, Belize, Bolivia, Paraguay. See, there's quite a large overlap in the categories of "places with leaded gasoline until recently" and "murder hellholes". Bolivia and Paraguay probably dodged this bullet, since they are landlocked nations without a port city which would be a focal point for urbanization, and thus smog concentration.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 04:22:36 am by Reelya »

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12995 on: September 28, 2017, 04:51:52 am »

(@anti smoking stuff)

While smoking is bad for you and I dislike that whole spin that it is not, (I mean seriously how obvious can it be that intentionally inhaling smoke into a system only designed to take in air with only some minor filtration ability is bad for you, regardless of what anyone else says) I do kinda have to agree with the annoyance about the lawsuits.

I sell cigarettes, cigars, and what people call 'blunt wraps' at work. I believe that whatever someone does to their own body is their business, but they can't just ignore the consequences.  Every single person that starts talking about them knows exactly how bad they are for them, yet they still smoke.  And I'm not just talking the older folks.  I'm talking the folks my age too, that I know grew up learning about exactly how addictive the damn things are and decided to smoke them anyway. 

I know that my multiple cans of dr pepper a day is going to bite me in the ass as I get older, but I made my peace with that fact.  I'm not going to sue Dr Pepper over things that everybody already goddamn knows.  With maybe the exception of the elderly, smokers knew exactly what they were getting into as well, and I have zero sympathy, they made their bed, they can sleep in it.  Yea tobacco companies sell death, but people still buy it, and I seriously doubt any of those buying don't know it.

It's only the last couple of decades though that that information wasn't being suppressed by the industry. Hell, my parents generation had doctors that would suggest people suffering from asthma and other respiratory ailments take up smoking to improve their health. There was a serious amount of misinformation being pushed out there and while there was also counter-information that pushed that it was bad for you, the tobacco industry pushed their version HARD and for a lot of people it stuck.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12996 on: September 28, 2017, 05:01:38 am »

Seriously you can find stuff just in the last 5 years where tobacco companies just said "no it doesn't" in court cases in which cigarettes are linked to lung cancer.

The thing about lawsuits is yes, perhaps someone should have known better and realized the cigarettes were bad for them. But that's besides the point. The company selling them to you was actively involved in denying that the risk was real and supressing relevant research that proved otherwise.

Their defence then becomes "the plaintiff should have been aware that we are liars, and we're not liable if some idiot actually believes what we said. You should have known better".

That basically makes them equivalent to a con-artist. Perhaps a con-artist's con is blatantly obvious, and you "should have known better" than to trust that person. But that doesn't legalize the con. How stupid you have to be to believe a fraudster has no correlation with how legal the fraud is.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 05:09:45 am by Reelya »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12997 on: September 28, 2017, 06:58:43 am »

Eh... more relatively little rather than no, at least in the US. There's legal protections for signing into fuckstupid contracts, but as I understand it they're close to never actually successful when invoked in court save maybe -- and only maybe -- when the victim has been declared legally incompetent or mentally impaired in one way or another.

There are in fact types of cons that are legal due largely to the fact our courts do not do much to stop you from being stupid, and doing things like paying fifty bucks for a meaningless certificate that cost around five cent to make is considered to effectively be on you, having willingly agreed to a friggin' terrible deal.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 07:00:25 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12998 on: September 28, 2017, 08:02:53 am »

Eh... more relatively little rather than no, at least in the US. There's legal protections for signing into fuckstupid contracts, but as I understand it they're close to never actually successful when invoked in court save maybe -- and only maybe -- when the victim has been declared legally incompetent or mentally impaired in one way or another.

There are in fact types of cons that are legal due largely to the fact our courts do not do much to stop you from being stupid, and doing things like paying fifty bucks for a meaningless certificate that cost around five cent to make is considered to effectively be on you, having willingly agreed to a friggin' terrible deal.

Sure, that's if you didn't read the "fine print" then it's on you. However I was more comparing the tobacco deal to fraud because - they're not fully disclosing the details in the fine print. e.g. it's akin to a con artist who doesn't deliver on what the contract states.

If the product isn't in fact what you agreed to then you can sue. If the company is marketing the cigarettes as "smooth and healthy" and denying any links to illness, then you do have grounds for the idea that they conned you and didn't deliver on the promised product.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 08:08:15 am by Reelya »

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #12999 on: September 28, 2017, 01:59:18 pm »

The White House has Gary Cohn, the Chief Economic Advisor, doing their press briefing today.

This is by far the least spin, and the most hard numbers that I've ever heard from a Trump spokesperson. I'm not saying that I believe him, or agree with his tax plan, but it is refreshing to hear some straight answers for a change.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13000 on: September 28, 2017, 02:06:32 pm »

How can someone who won't release his own taxes have a bloody tax plan
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13001 on: September 28, 2017, 02:22:44 pm »

How can someone who won't release his own taxes have a bloody tax plan
The plan is not to show you their own taxes.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #13002 on: September 28, 2017, 02:43:23 pm »

How can the Republicans have a tax plan when the whole political spectrum liked Bernie?

The answer: they're fucked in 2018 either way so who cares, also the Republicans in the House are drinking the kool aid.  So they'll probably pass something absurd up to the Senate.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13003 on: September 28, 2017, 02:45:53 pm »

I'm personally expecting some Escape From LA shit where a laughing man wearing Paul Ryan's face will paint smiles on the expected voters and carve the session turkey.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13004 on: September 28, 2017, 02:48:20 pm »

From what I heard in the radio from an interview with one of the plan writers its basically trickle down 2.0
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 04:17:36 pm by redwallzyl »
Pages: 1 ... 865 866 [867] 868 869 ... 3566