Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 803 804 [805] 806 807 ... 3563

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4159929 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: D. C. on summer break
« Reply #12060 on: September 01, 2017, 01:26:06 pm »

Wonder how much of it becomes a "Keeping up with the Joneses" phenomenon.

"Awwww....Podunkville got a Bradley! We should have a Bradley too! We're way better than them...."

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12061 on: September 01, 2017, 01:29:02 pm »

Culture is something entirely different. Culture says "do the exact opposite of what you've been trained to do and I give you a pass for doing it." I suppose you can put that under the very utilitarian title of "Human Resource Management" but I prefer to call it what it is: corruption.
Naaah, human resource management is what's supposed to take that kind of crap out behind the shed and hit it with things until it stops. Corruption is one of things people screwing it up (either by plain maybe intentional incompetence or not having proper resources to do it right) contributes to.

Get the point you're making, but training or that kind of thing are the primary (mostly) internal tools for making the shit stop. If your culture has reached that point, someone keeping an eye on your organization's members has screwed the pooch. Possibly literally depending on why they're letting folks get away with it.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12062 on: September 01, 2017, 01:35:25 pm »

So, some random internet person, (so take with as much salt as necessary), pointed out that illegally drawn blood is only inadmissible in a criminal case. In a civil case, such as one the truck driver might have against the police department for driving a high speed chase suspect into his truck, blood drawn could be admissible, and might help defend the police department if the truck driver was found to have had drugs or alcohol in his system.

So... it goes deeper. They know they screwed up on the chase, and are grasping at straws so hard that they're willing to push around innocent nurses to try to cover their own butts.

Assuming random internet people are to be trusted with regards to law matters. (They frequently aren't, but occasionally you'll get someone who knows what they're talking about.) Someone feel free to correct me and I'll be willing strike this post from the record. :P

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12063 on: September 01, 2017, 03:53:55 pm »

Cornel U. weighs on on the Exclusionary Rule.

Yup, turns out the fruit of the poisonous tree is good eating at civil cases. Moreover, Qualified Immunity might even make an appearance, as the detective might assert that he felt his actions were reasonable and justified, and the thin blue line might form ranks. (never mind that this is indeed first rate gestapo crap.)

It's partially the whole "They have better guns and equipment, we need better guns and equipment" cycle.

Like I quipped earlier, This is shit straight out of Dominion Tank Police-- it's the damn setup for the opening act!!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 04:00:06 pm by wierd »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #12064 on: September 01, 2017, 04:32:22 pm »

I think it's called the Good Faith exception or something in some jurisdictions. Where if the officer believed they were acting in good faith, then they acted in good faith and even the fruits of a poisoned tree are admissible.

Which is the biggest crock of legal BS ever. You can't rely on what people say they were thinking as the basis for if what they were doing is illegal or not.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #12065 on: September 01, 2017, 04:39:41 pm »

I only hope that this case makes it into national headlines, and that it might lead to a shift in legal policy, as unlikely as that is.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #12066 on: September 01, 2017, 05:10:51 pm »

(Nenjin, did you have a different avatar before? I think I sort of recognize you, but not much.)

Nenjin, you have a good argument wrt police, and I think we share a common viewpoint on police corruption. I looked at some statistics to see if they would back you up, and at a brief glance it seems they do. I'm just curious - what are you basing these arguments on? In other words: How did you come to the conclusion that police officers are corrupt? What was your reasoning?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 06:06:11 pm by Dozebôm Lolumzalìs »
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12067 on: September 02, 2017, 12:35:49 pm »

Goes deeper than just corruption of officers, the article LW posted hits on it: we've been telling little boys that the tip-top peak of manhood is shit like action heroes. We've got a near religious reverence for soldiers too, so you get a couple of cases where cops end up outgunned and it becomes easy to sell the "we need to be prepared" angle to the citizens while you can lure in kids who wanted the same sort of respect as a soldier gets without  needing to go overseas and shit. Someone says cops fucked up and handled a situation wrong, internally it gets turned into "we aren't respected enough, but soldiers are... WE NEED TO BE MORE LIKE SOLDIERS!" type of mindsets.

Warrior cops treat everything as a potential battle, guardian cops who are trained to react calmly by calming shit down when appropriate and only preventing shit from going down when they can't do it another way, that shit just seems right to someone who grew up as a big brother to a gaggle of girls. If I'm having to directly defend one of my sisters then I already fucked up by not fixing the situation beforehand.

Protect and serve, not observe and intimidate, right?
hmmmmm
As an experimentally confirmed Texan I have to ask: why not both, same time, same place, let them slug it out?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12068 on: September 02, 2017, 12:45:49 pm »

Changing culture can't be the only method of change since there are other tried and true methods of making things better, like community policing, and there are plenty of ideas out there on how to fix things. Just that the politicians aren't listening.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12069 on: September 02, 2017, 01:02:05 pm »

Warrior cops treat everything as a potential battle, guardian cops who are trained to react calmly by calming shit down when appropriate and only preventing shit from going down when they can't do it another way, that shit just seems right to someone who grew up as a big brother to a gaggle of girls. If I'm having to directly defend one of my sisters then I already fucked up by not fixing the situation beforehand.
Protect and serve, not observe and intimidate, right?
I suppose it boils down to wanting police to be primarily in the business of policing and not in the business of warfare; having units of paramilitary police for the odd bank robbers and mass killers is all right, but having it as standard seems to completely void the point of having police and military even be separate entities. I don't know American culture enough to say whether this is rooted even deeper in sports, soldier reverence and dude patriotism lmao, but from the way US police have tended to respond to provocations with violence, there is definitely a deeper issue in the Police being a warrior class culture. That is something I'm not sure politicians could change, so the alternative would be to convince the police themselves that there is a better way for everyone to get along and not die

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12070 on: September 02, 2017, 01:19:05 pm »

The military are better at policing than the police at this point. And obviously better at militarying, too.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #12071 on: September 02, 2017, 01:20:03 pm »

Mattis for Ferguson Police Chief!
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #12072 on: September 02, 2017, 02:30:49 pm »

I think American culture has a fucking DEEP authoritarian streak, and police culture feeds off of that.  I wouldn't tie it to any specific issue of toxic masculinity or sports or soldier reverence.  Just authoritarianism in general.  We like to market ourselves as being a rebellious culture because we fought a war for independence hundreds of years ago.  But we're very much not.  We tend not to have any care whatsoever about what's actually right or humane.  Whoever walks into the room with the biggest hat, loudest voice, and "fuck you I'm the boss" mannerism tends to get the most respect around here, even if it's glaringly obvious that there's zero substance behind the act.  Whatever they do, no matter how horrible, will be justified after the fact by mental gymnastics.  We worship money because "fuck you I can buy you" is just another large boss hat.  And Americans are gullible as all hell when it comes to their overworked consumerist lifestyles being designed for them, because it plays off their authoritarian streak.  Big hat boss people tell them they need to work, and conspicuous consumption is just pursuit of big hat.

So police officer in a uniform executes people crying "I AM THE LAW AND YOU ARE CRIMINAL SCUM" plays right into what Americans worship.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #12073 on: September 02, 2017, 04:11:23 pm »

And Americans are gullible as all hell when it comes to their overworked consumerist lifestyles being designed for them, because it plays off their authoritarian streak.  Big hat boss people tell them they need to work, and conspicuous consumption is just pursuit of big hat.
Reminds me of a time I saw a slavery apologist who claimed that guaranteed employment for slaves was a good thing.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #12074 on: September 02, 2017, 04:31:27 pm »

I just want to jump in here and say that it's definitely not an issue of training: I was a cop for 4 years, and while I was shitty at most of it, I do remember having to take training on not shooting black people at least twice a quarter.

I think it's the issue that being in the police is taken to mean that you have the power to make people do what you want, so that attracts bullies, which pushes out people who aren't bullies, and then the cycle grows. I know I never saw anyone abusing their authority except once, and when I did I spoke up and shut them down, even though they were my supervisor.

One also has to remember that we have bias due to the way the media works - the problem isn't non-existent by any means, but you aren't going to hear about the "Good" cops because it doesn't make for a good story if they deescalate the situation and everyone leaves peacefully. You only have a story, something that will stick in your head, if something goes wrong. I forget the exact term for it, but it's an established psychological thing.

And of course it all folds back into the identity politics the U.S is drowning in. Most cops identify as right-wing, and therefore basically follow whatever the party line is. The left-wing cops tend to be similar, but have a better chance of not being radicals.

Also relevant is that the cops I met tended to be a bit dull. They weren't exactly the most rational people -  a consequence of rational people not wanting to be cops because then they would be surrounded by irrational people.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.
Pages: 1 ... 803 804 [805] 806 807 ... 3563