Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 698 699 [700] 701 702 ... 3564

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4168775 times)

Not good with names

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: D. C. on summer break
« Reply #10485 on: August 13, 2017, 02:16:10 pm »

It's straw men all the way down.  And as to the taking away their rights, I can only assume if the only way to keep the peace is to allow nazis the exclusive right to protest in some areas, then that means others don't have the right to protest in said area.

Plus, I like the fact that hey, the KKK used violence and murder throughout it's history for political effect (cough, like ISIS), but again they shouldn't be blamed when they attend a rally that becomes violent, because both sides, am I rite?

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #10486 on: August 13, 2017, 02:16:57 pm »

I realise you were probably writing that already, Salmon, but thank you, that answers my post nicely.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10487 on: August 13, 2017, 02:19:16 pm »

It's straw men all the way down.  And as to the taking away their rights, I can only assume if the only way to keep the peace is to allow nazis the exclusive right to protest in some areas, then that means others don't have the right to protest in said area.

Plus, I like the fact that hey, the KKK used violence and murder throughout it's history for political effect (cough, like ISIS), but again they shouldn't be blamed when they attend a rally that becomes violent, because both sides, am I rite?

I think you're trying to joke around, but we're having a serious discussion here.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10488 on: August 13, 2017, 02:20:17 pm »

I didn't say words are violence. I said beating people with lit tiki torches is violence.
Yeah, that's true I suppose. It was violence against counter-protesters who fought back (and may or may not have initiated the brawl in the first place) which ended in the whole thing being broken up with tear gas, and one of the marchers being arrested for assault. Not bad.

Oh, and there was that thing with the car terrorism. The actual act of murderous terror that actually occurred at this actual rally.
A single guy road-raging his car into a march hours after the rally = the entire rally endorsing and planning a terrorist attack. The ISIS comparison remains ridiculous

There's an even easier counter to this.

The white nationalists DID engage in violence the night before.  When they were marching around with their tiki torches, they actively beat people up.  There was no counter-protest until the following day, and it was in response to the violent actions at the white nationalist rally the night before.

I've seen statements online from black people in the area thanking the counter-protest for showing up because they were fucking scared.

So this idea that they were just taking precautions against antifa showing up flies in the face of not only the history of the ideology and its directly stated intents, but also the reality of what actually verifiably happened at this very event in question.
First of all that's blatantly wrong. There was a counter-protest at the Jefferson statue, with a "UVA against fascism banner" and it ended in a brawl. They weren't beating random passerby.

Second of all there's still no evidence that they would've actually attacked anyone. People being scared isn't evidence they were going to end the rally with lynch mobs in the streets.

I didn't actually see any klansmen there. Again, even if they were, it doesn't mean they were going to lynch passerby.

And yes, it is standard police practice to separate political events full of people that hate each other.

My writings a bit rushed because I'm sort of getting ninjaed over and over.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #10489 on: August 13, 2017, 02:24:50 pm »

First of all that's blatantly wrong. There was a counter-protest at the Jefferson statue, with a "UVA against fascism banner" and it ended in a brawl. They weren't beating random passerby.

I may be misinformed, but I don't see how this is much better.

Second of all there's still no evidence that they would've actually attacked anyone. People being scared isn't evidence they were going to end the rally with lynch mobs in the streets.

It may not be evidence, but when the fear is based on actual history, I don't see how you can call it unfounded, either.

And allow me to clarify this, because I have a feeling your response will be along your "didn't see any klansmen there" lines.  They were protesting the removal of a tribute to a man who fought in support of victimizing black people in the past.  Is that not making their stance pretty clear?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 02:26:51 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Not good with names

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10490 on: August 13, 2017, 02:26:32 pm »

I will be more serious next time. x500

But David Duke was there.  So there's that.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10491 on: August 13, 2017, 02:27:23 pm »

I may be misinformed, but I don't see how this is much better.

It may not be evidence, but when the fear is based on actual history, I don't see how you can call it unfounded, either.
It's better in that, instead of ganging up and beating down random passerby, a group drew up against them, words were exchanged, and a fight started. My whole point has been that they brought weapons in case of a fight against other groups, not to assault bystanders.

I can call it unfounded because none of the people at that rally ever walked through a town in Virginia beating up whoever they want because skin-hate, and I don't see them doing so in the future.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #10492 on: August 13, 2017, 02:29:53 pm »

A single guy road-raging his car into a march hours after the rally = the entire rally endorsing and planning a terrorist attack. The ISIS comparison remains ridiculous

Did you miss the part where I mentioned the guy had a 900-strong explicit Facebook fan club labeling him an American Hero less than an hour after he'd been identified?  Yeah, I can't directly associate that as being the very same people who were in Charlottesville, but it is quite explicitly people in the same ideological grain.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10493 on: August 13, 2017, 02:29:57 pm »

There's an even easier counter to this.

The white nationalists DID engage in violence the night before.  When they were marching around with their tiki torches, they actively beat people up.  There was no counter-protest until the following day, and it was in response to the violent actions at the white nationalist rally the night before.

I've seen statements online from black people in the area thanking the counter-protest for showing up because they were fucking scared.

So this idea that they were just taking precautions against antifa showing up flies in the face of not only the history of the ideology and its directly stated intents, but also the reality of what actually verifiably happened at this very event in question.

Yep, this account of the whole thing shows a video of said brawl, It doesn't show who threw the first punch, but it certainly looks like only the neo-nazis were the only one actively trying to fight. Also, no police presence either.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10494 on: August 13, 2017, 02:31:59 pm »

Did you miss the part where I mentioned the guy had a 900-strong explicit Facebook fan club labeling him an American Hero less than an hour after he'd been identified?  Yeah, I can't directly associate that as being the very same people who were in Charlottesville, but it is quite explicitly people in the same ideological grain.
Dear god almost a thousand people on the internet hold shocking opinions.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10495 on: August 13, 2017, 02:34:52 pm »

So we're entering some kind of Zen koan territory where guys who think 'blacks and Jews are inferior and Hitler did nothing wrong' aren't equivalent to Klansmen, because they're not wearing robes and a hood?

You're right, they're worse. At least Klansmen had the understanding that they were an affront to common decency and thus, should hide their faces. These Abercromie & Fitch rejects feel emboldened to parade around openly. And they're going to reap the consequences of that decision.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10496 on: August 13, 2017, 02:37:48 pm »

So we're entering some kind of Zen koan territory where guys who think 'blacks and Jews are inferior and Hitler did nothing wrong' aren't equivalent to Klansmen, because they're not wearing robes and a hood?

You're right, they're worse. At least Klansmen had the understanding that they were an affront to common decency and thus, should hide their faces. These Abercromie & Fitch rejects feel emboldened to parade around openly. And they're going to reap the consequences of that decision.
I never said that. I said that nobody at this rally every beat up people in a lynch mob, which is factually true. They're scumbags, but they have a right to free speech. The consequences of their decision should be mockery for marching with citronella torches, not street fighting that leaves dozens injured.

They're emboldened to parade openly because they have that right as American citizens.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10497 on: August 13, 2017, 02:40:23 pm »

I can call it unfounded because none of the people at that rally ever walked through a town in Virginia beating up whoever they want because skin-hate, and I don't see them doing so in the future.
Whoo boy honey I would bet you money -- actual money, not fake money or money I don't have, I got twenty bucks lying around I can't really afford to fritter away that I'd do it with -- that one or more of the people rallying around folks toting swastika flags about do, in fact, have some convictions under their belt where A) the victim(s) involved weren't white, and/or B) turned out to be considered a hate crime.

Seriously man, I would not want to be someone trying to lay the bet down that no one at a white supremacist rally that had open goddamn nazis walking around with it has gone around beating the shit out of brown people. You might slip through if you go with "On main street, in broad daylight, specifically in virgina", but I'm still not entirely sure that's a bet I'd be willing to make. Has anyone actually got around to checking that one? Because if there's bloody anywhere where someone involved might have done that, this was one of the spots.
And allow me to clarify this, because I have a feeling your response will be along your "didn't see any klansmen there" lines.  They were protesting the removal of a tribute to a man who fought in support of victimizing black people in the past.  Is that not making their stance pretty clear?
Don't forget the good ol' swastika and confed battle flags, man. I'm just going to wager it didn't take a minority within viewing distance of that mess seeing klan walking around in full regalia to ken on to what that lot was about.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10498 on: August 13, 2017, 02:41:42 pm »

Also, today's stuff seems to be a hell of a lot more peaceful for some reason.

Anyways, reports are that knives are out for Bannon. He's had knives out for him before, so, not neccesarily a sign that he's absolutely on the outs.

As the axios link notes, it would be interesting to see what kind of havoc he could do if he got fired.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #10499 on: August 13, 2017, 02:42:48 pm »

Dear god almost a thousand people on the internet hold shocking opinions.

That group looks like it was renamed to "Justice for James Alex Fields Jr", and is up to about 4500 members.

So... umm... when someone actually murders people, you deny that it means anything because

But when 4500 people actively state their support for the guy afterwards, presumably out of ideological sympathy, that's still not considered an endorsement from his political bloc.  It's just "people having shocking opinions on the internet".

So ok... I give up... I can see there there is literally no conceivable metric by which you'll see anything wrong or cause for concern, until there are actually public lynchings or government-aided genocide efforts.  And even then, I halfway believe you'll frame it as the fault of scary leftist mobs.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 02:47:37 pm by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Pages: 1 ... 698 699 [700] 701 702 ... 3564