Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 632 633 [634] 635 636 ... 3568

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4243639 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: The Russian shoe deepens
« Reply #9495 on: July 25, 2017, 09:47:34 pm »

Yeah, somehow Jefferson Beauregard Sessions III as Attorny General, a home-school advocating crazy person who doesn't know how to spell as Education, and putting the care of the environment in the hands of Who Do You Think kind of overshadows that.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9496 on: July 25, 2017, 09:54:06 pm »

Yeah, somehow Jefferson Beauregard Sessions III as Attorny General, a home-school advocating crazy person who doesn't know how to spell as Education, and putting the care of the environment in the hands of Who Do You Think kind of overshadows that.

What about the FCC being owned by Verizon?
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9497 on: July 25, 2017, 09:54:41 pm »

How common is it for Presidents to just fire everyone and hire their own?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9498 on: July 25, 2017, 09:58:23 pm »

Outside of the usual transitions between presidents and, to a lesser extent, when one is starting a new term, probably rarely.

Not sure how to search for such instances where they fired and hired en masse (again, outside of transitions), but I'm pretty sure they weren't often.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 10:00:23 pm by smjjames »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9499 on: July 25, 2017, 10:00:51 pm »

Outside of the usual transitions between presidents and, to a lesser extent, when one is starting a new term, probably rarely.

So what Trump (and the person who will be next in line... As long as they aren't Trump) did is very uncommon?

A lot of people must be polishing their resume knowing that someone is going to have to step in and sweep out the positions trump appointed (I even assume republicans don't like his appointments)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9500 on: July 25, 2017, 10:04:28 pm »

Not. A lot of staff does tend to turn over during transitions, but quite a lot also tends to stick around either for an extended period or just period. More or less everyone getting canned and replaced really just kinda' hasn't happened much. As the repeated refrain goes, most of our previous presidents haven't been willing to act quite that stupidly.

One of the more unusual parts of the mess with the white house has been the amount of seasoned officials and staff that had largely just been doing their job for years/decades/etc. that got shat on and kicked out. No small part to why much of the administration is having the troubles it is. Fewer people with less expertise and/or experience dealing with the same amount of duties is a recipe for hilarity, and not the funny ha ha sort.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #9501 on: July 25, 2017, 11:45:35 pm »

Holy shit, Rick Perry is the Secretary of the Department of Energy.
Really makes ya think.

Also, makes you think about the fact that Donald Trump feels the need to publicly criticize his AG for the one thing everyone agrees he did right and was legally obligated to do.

On a Trumpcare note, a few days ago the Parliamentarian ruled against a variety of sections in the Trumpcare bill, particularly those targeting Planned Parenthood but also others, as going against the rules of Budgetary Reconciliation. This was ignored at the time  because we were all somewhere between "It's finally dead" and "Are they trying to pass straight repeal now?" But anyway, that meant that that would need to be amended, and would require 60 votes. Obviously, that wasn't going to happen, and lo and behold it failed on the Senate floor. But what's interesting is how far it fell short: the most comprehensive plan Republicans had to repeal Obamacare fell short, 43 for, 57 against. Republicans voting against Full Repeal and Replace (which is from the link): Collins, Cotton, Corker, Graham, Heller, Lee, Moran, Murkowski, Paul.

I've been wondering how many Republicans who were just "raising doubts" would actually, ultimately oppose that plan, and finally, we have an answer: about 17% or so, or just under a fifth of Senate Republicans. Interesting to see Heller and Moran there, and not McCain or Capito. Still, these are now the "Usual suspects" of the Republican Caucus, and I bet you'll be seeing their names more soon. Next votes coming in the next few days I think.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #9502 on: July 26, 2017, 01:11:04 am »

Most of the staff leaves with the president.  Not for the executive branch, just the WH and cabinet.  What was weird about the transition is that Trump didn't replace many of the Obama staffers.  He actually kept an unusual amount because he didn't have replacements lined up, but the leaks soured that alliance.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9503 on: July 26, 2017, 01:46:05 am »

The economist made an handy chart looking at this:

So yeah, he's been rather slow at appointing people, although things are speeding up. Given that there is usually a ~2 month gap between appointment and confirmation, the holes should start filling more rapidly now.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 10:40:28 am by Sheb »

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #9504 on: July 26, 2017, 10:29:15 am »

Trump bans transgender individuals from U.S. military service.

At some point, I just don't even know what to say anymore. Why this? Why now? Who the hell knows.

btw your picture is broken sheb.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #9505 on: July 26, 2017, 10:40:48 am »

I remember when people were telling me that there was no reason to expect Trump to restrict LGBT rights besides baseless hysteria. I miss those days.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9506 on: July 26, 2017, 10:47:16 am »

This is particularly strange because Mattis has made no moves at all suggesting he was interested in this policy. Who are these "generals and military experts" if the arguably most expert person involved isn't involved?

EDIT: On further investigation, I know why this happened now: This is the end of the six-month pause period on allowing trans people to serve that Mattis declared in January. So it might well originate with him after all. Or it's just Trump doing his usual thing, never can rule that out.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 11:08:09 am by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9507 on: July 26, 2017, 11:18:55 am »

Mattis isn't even at work right now. Dude's on vacation, apparently. Likelihood is high the mentions of consulting military higher ups is a flat fucking lie.

Interesting to see Heller and Moran there, and not McCain or Capito. Still, these are now the "Usual suspects" of the Republican Caucus, and I bet you'll be seeing their names more soon. Next votes coming in the next few days I think.
Any case, it's from yesterday, but it probably bears to be mentioned that there's absolutely jack all unusual about mccain voting like that. Pretty much regardless of what comes out of his mouth, his vote is straight party line no matter the level of acidic shit it's pushing. His reputation of being someone more inclined towards opposition to the GOP agenda than your normal senator is pure and near complete bullshit.

Actually never really paid much attention to the guy until recently, and jesus christ what vague inclinations towards a sliver of respect that might have been there are very, very gone now that I have. Guy's had a good talking game but his actions and whatnot have been about as vile and craven as any of your more malicious GOP congresscritters. Dude just kinda' ain't good people.

E: Heh, and vis a vis the trans stupidity there's apparently reports rolling in that the pentagon's basically saying, "We have no idea what the hell that guy's talking about." in response to inquiries. Standard trump administration, I guess.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 11:23:49 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9508 on: July 26, 2017, 11:27:16 am »

It's red meat being thrown to his base. Hell of a lot more Bible-thumpers in that demographic than LGBTs. This -- and the renewed calls for investigating Hillary -- will distract from the Russia investigation, the Senate shitstorm, the lack of a Mexican-paid wall, and the general lack of anything substantial having been done in the last six months.

There was a danger they were getting tired from all the winning.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9509 on: July 26, 2017, 11:43:04 am »

Might be pretty explicitly, even. Tweet with the main bit in a pic full of text stated to come from a trump admin critter, but to transcribe that bit:
Quote from: From a Trump Administration Official
"This forces Democrats in Rust Belt states line Ohio, Michigan, and Wisconsin, to take complete ownership of this issue. How will the blue collar voters in these states respond when senators up for re-election in 2018 like Debbie Stabenow are forced to make their opposition to this a key plank of their campaigns?"

Much salt as ever considering it's not directly sourced, but if nothin' else it very much looks like somethin' you'd expect to see coming out of a GOP political strategist. Though I can think of more than one way that might not turn out like they seem to be hoping, heh. Particularly in the bits of the rust belt that'll be rusting just as fast as they were last year.
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 632 633 [634] 635 636 ... 3568