Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 558 559 [560] 561 562 ... 3571

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4260569 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Comey testifies in front of Congress
« Reply #8385 on: June 24, 2017, 06:08:45 pm »

We doooo... they're just mostly bad ones :V
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8386 on: June 24, 2017, 06:09:32 pm »

yes.

i mean, maybe i'm not being idealistic enough, but shooting down a plane belonging to the military of a sovereign nation we're not at war with, all because they're attacking a group that we are not officially allies with and they are at war with is kinda...yeah.

this russian shilling stuff sucks, it's only 2 rubles per post.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8387 on: June 24, 2017, 06:13:46 pm »

Eh, wouldn't entirely disagree. Note again, though, unless my memory is going seriously haywire the justification being primarily used was that we actually had american forces in theater -- supposedly in attacking that group we're not official allies with, they were also effectively dropping bombs on or really close to some stuff that was outright ours. Which is ostensibly why the plane was shot down.

Now, how much of any of that is true? Hell if I know.
Ask not!
Ask!

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8388 on: June 24, 2017, 06:19:13 pm »

We also declared war on a tactic and maintain permanent military bases in half the world on that dubious pretext. The United States getting away with absurdities that would be ridiculed or condemned if anyone else did it isn't unusual.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8389 on: June 24, 2017, 06:21:17 pm »

okay so here's what i found (source). basically this says that regime troops attacked a SDF position and drove them out. the attack was stopped by a "show of force" from US planes, and in response the syrian airforce bombed SDF positions, leading to the shoot-down. first question is what the "show of force" consisted of, second is whether there were advisers/US assets threatened on the ground, and third is why do i care.

We also declared war on a tactic and maintain permanent military bases in half the world on that dubious pretext. The United States getting away with absurdities that would be ridiculed or condemned if anyone else did it isn't unusual.
i mean to be fair terrorism sucks, and also to be fair we seem really into this whole "ideology" thing.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8390 on: June 24, 2017, 06:22:23 pm »

Its really hard to argue with the US about what its allowed to do and not do.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8391 on: June 24, 2017, 06:28:48 pm »

i mean to be fair terrorism sucks, and also to be fair we seem really into this whole "ideology" thing.
/drunk
Yeah but maybe we should stop caring about the world since it uses us as a dartboard?  Everything we've touched is our fault, despite our intentions or even our results. 
No matter how much we literally spend, the world hates us.  Maybe we ought to address our own issues.

and thus neocons are born
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8392 on: June 24, 2017, 07:00:05 pm »

Aye, born in lies to spread them, heh. Last I checked, even with trump, most of the world has a fairly decent opinion of the US. Other countries like us more than we like our congressfolk :P

... which is damning with faint praise, to be fair. Still fairly true, though. For all we shit all over everything with annoying regularity, the good stuff isn't really ignored. At least by people. Maybe not so much the bloody news (FTFE) and crap.
Ask not!
Ask!

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8393 on: June 24, 2017, 08:17:36 pm »

Foreign military bases, undeclared, and semideclared wars are the general status quo of foreign affairs and have been since before I was born. 1776 antiexceptionalism is easy to claim, but patently false here.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8394 on: June 24, 2017, 08:33:07 pm »

Ever since the Spanish-American War ended the US has found itself in the awkward position of vehemently denying it has an empire while bit by bit expanding the one it kinda accidentally acquired until we reach the current hegemon status, still holding only the 50 states as "officially US" which is funny until you ask how many other nations have military bases scattered in other countries across the globe.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8395 on: June 24, 2017, 08:40:17 pm »

I mean the US has NEVER violently slaughtered people who didn't want to be ruled by a uncaring majority.

Ohhh wait... That has happened multiple times... and was made legal once or twice.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8396 on: June 24, 2017, 09:30:19 pm »

Quote from: https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/878711517537083392
Since the Obama Administration was told way before the 2016 Election that the Russians were meddling, why no action? Focus on them, not T!

Ignoring for the moment the fact that our President is apparently referring to himself as "T" now, I guess he's completely reversed his position on Russian interference in the election as long as he can blame it on Obama somehow.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8397 on: June 24, 2017, 09:38:26 pm »

Oh christ, his intellect has expanded - not enough to reject the use of tweets for formal communication, but beyond the bounds of 140 character messages. He will begin mass abbreviation soon.

We must dissent.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #8398 on: June 24, 2017, 10:41:01 pm »

Yes! Let us dissent violently, by throwing the tyrant's 'T' into the harbor!
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8399 on: June 24, 2017, 11:03:29 pm »

Yes! Let us dissent violently, by throwing the tyrant's 'T' into the harbor!

As a tea-loving Brit, this speaks to me. Although in this case, it's the harbor that's too good for the T, rather than the other way around.

EDIT: Wait, I can change that little icon next to the post title? How long has this been a thing? Since forever, I'd bet.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 11:06:44 pm by Gizogin »
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs
Pages: 1 ... 558 559 [560] 561 562 ... 3571