Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 545 546 [547] 548 549 ... 3571

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4261840 times)

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Comey testifies in front of Congress
« Reply #8190 on: June 19, 2017, 01:21:52 pm »

Well, right now I am, seeing as that's a hell of a lot bigger a deal than a missile strike. I don't think the usual rally around the flag effect would apply. I might worry more if there was an incident big enough to seize upon for a war justification.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8191 on: June 19, 2017, 01:27:36 pm »

Eh, yeah, that'd make it worse. I'd just really prefer we didn't test GOP spine and trump mettle when it comes to military action, ha.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #8192 on: June 19, 2017, 01:40:59 pm »

Its just sabre rattling IMO, but its stupid sabre rattling that I don't trust Trump to handle.  We've been down the proxy war route before.  What makes this stupid is that while we do have a conflict in that Russia supports the Syrian government and we oppose it, we both want ISIS to be stopped and neither want to do it ourselves.  The situation is complicated and delicate, but on paper there are things to be gained here for relatively little cost.  Or at least the spiraling situation could be contained with relatively few Americans dying.  Its a callous view but its not like having another Iraq would be good for the locals so I think hawks and doves should both agree with the more cautious view here.

Yet here Trump is smashing the war map with a hammer.  Its not like the State department is in a position to explain the various actors to him, and he doesn't listen to the IC in the first place.  He's just doing this shit because of the Russia investigation.  Its good that the man with his finger on the button has cable access...

Ninjaedit: also, sending in troops ourselves at this point would be a very bad idea.  If Russia wanted to they would face no real diplomatic consequences for funneling training and support to whatever group they want.  It would be another Vietnam/Afghanistan/Iraq all over again but probably worse than those last two.  The circumstances of the Iraq War were more favorable than this: no greater power supporting Saddam Hussein (IIRC?), nowhere near the insurgent and terrorist presence that Syria has, and no Gulf War memories to drum up easy support in the opening stages.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8193 on: June 19, 2017, 04:06:05 pm »

I do think you have a more valid concern, sluissa, but the reason I'm not 100% concerned myself is that sending in troops to Syria would be very unpopular, something Trump has to realize as he's criticized Obama for many of the same things he's doing now, and because trump has actually shown knowledge in a couple of his tweets (can't remember which; we went over it in my IR class last quarter) of the effect war would have on his popularity.
Yes, and after saying that he'd work with Assad to defeat ISIS, he had the Navy fire a shit-ton of Tomahawks at a Syrian airbase because some pictures of dead kids interferred with his enjoyment of the most beautiful piece of chocolate cake. You really can't predict what the fuck he's going to do.

And in addition to his own Nyarlathotep style of leadership, he's decentralized control at a strategic level. Commanders appear to be authorized to do whatever they want, within loose rules of engagement.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8194 on: June 19, 2017, 04:16:19 pm »

Plausible deniability. If they succeed and take no flak, why, it was your open command style that let them make such brilliant, unrestricted decisions. Take the credit.

And if it's a total clusterfuck? Well *I* certainly didn't tell him to do that. Issue the blame.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #8195 on: June 19, 2017, 04:38:18 pm »

90% of registered US voters just had their name, address, phone number, and political orientation among a great deal of other personal information leaked in the largest data breach full stop.

The party responsible is a republican strategy organization that worked with the Trump campaign, Deep Root Analytics.

So yeah, someone working for the Republicans just annoyed pretty much every single voter. Someone's getting fired!
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8196 on: June 19, 2017, 04:48:27 pm »

All your base administration are belong to Rus

EDIT: in other news, Otto Warmbier just died
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8197 on: June 19, 2017, 04:52:07 pm »

So yeah, someone working for the Republicans just annoyed pretty much every single voter. Someone's getting fired!

Maybe not.  Mentioned it to a few people around here and they don't seem to care (in fact were more concerned with me making a slight stumble in my speech), with one brushing it off with the logic of all their information is probably already leaked before anyway.
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8198 on: June 19, 2017, 04:52:45 pm »

90% of registered US voters just had their name, address, phone number, and political orientation among a great deal of other personal information leaked in the largest data breach full stop.

The party responsible is a republican strategy organization that worked with the Trump campaign, Deep Root Analytics.

Any bets on demographic trends for the ~2 million whose data wasn't leaked?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8199 on: June 19, 2017, 04:56:41 pm »

Maybe not.  Mentioned it to a few people around here and they don't seem to care (in fact were more concerned with me making a slight stumble in my speech), with one brushing it off with the logic of all their information is probably already leaked before anyway.

I wouldn't take the average voters' apathy as a sign of how important this is. If they admit they don't give a shit, they're not qualified to say whether or not it matters.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #8200 on: June 19, 2017, 04:57:55 pm »

The temptation to shout "Lizards" and/or "Jews", is almost overwhelming
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8201 on: June 19, 2017, 05:00:07 pm »

Having just finished Turtledove's alien invasion saga, this statement threw me quite a bit until I caught the conspiracy theory reference you were going for.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #8202 on: June 19, 2017, 05:04:02 pm »

Mexican Nazi Terrorist SJW ICP LGBTQ ROFLMAO Demoncrats.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8203 on: June 19, 2017, 05:15:17 pm »

I wouldn't take the average voters' apathy as a sign of how important this is. If they admit they don't give a shit, they're not qualified to say whether or not it matters.

I recognize that.  My statement was directed towards the 'annoying every single voter' part.
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8204 on: June 19, 2017, 05:48:38 pm »

I was under the impression that all that voter info was more or less public data anyway. And I don't even mean "already leaked" but "generally accessible for anyone if you can maneuver the various systems local governments hold them under." I'd not be surprised if that 10% that didn't get affected were from areas where that info isn't publicly available and thus not easily included in a massive database.
Pages: 1 ... 545 546 [547] 548 549 ... 3571