Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 519 520 [521] 522 523 ... 3572

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4267788 times)

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Comey testifies in front of Congress
« Reply #7800 on: June 13, 2017, 11:07:05 pm »

so you guys have finally agreed that forcing people to do stuff based on your beliefs is bad?

sweet. we can all finally govern ourselves based on voluntary association and a general agreement that all aggression is inherently illegitimate, except violent self-defense. now get your eyes the fuck off my property before i nuke you.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #7801 on: June 13, 2017, 11:12:14 pm »

Even in brittain, about 1/4 of muslims think sharia law should be the law of the land.

No, that is a misrepresentation: "In addition, 23% of British Muslims said Islamic Sharia law should replace British law in areas with large Muslim populations"

By which they mean that in "Muslim Town" perhaps they could implement Sharia law.

While possibly technically correct doesn't erase the original point.

Nations don't work if every little community decides they don't want to follow laws they disagree with or wish to implement laws which might revoke constitutionally promised rights.
In which case I will redirect you to this, an actual interpretation of this bogeymonster of 'shariah law' and what it means, as interpreted by an actual muslim:
A straw man apparently based entirely on white supremacist lies at that.
https://twitter.com/MuslimIQ/status/873566159882395648
Which is probably a more accurate source than an explicitly anti-muslim think tank associated with racists like Geert Wilders. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gatestone_Institute

Or another source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/five-myths-about-sharia/2016/06/24/7e3efb7a-31ef-11e6-8758-d58e76e11b12_story.html
Or another: http://www.salon.com/2011/02/26/sharia_the_real_story/

Most of the things you say it does? It just plain doesn't. You mentioned stoning in particular? That doesn't come from Islam, that comes from Leviticus 20:10 in the Bible.

So again, I want to see *specific* issues and supporters. Not "up for interpretation" wide ranging conceptual things like shariah, where the entire basis is "scary foreign sounding word". If you think they are supporting stoning, show me where specific people are attempting to legalize that. Otherwise it's just vague handwavey woo.

Small note to alway: you can't be racist against a belief or belief system, though yes, going the step of trying to get rid of people who hold the beliefs is too far, attacking beliefs which are being claimed as justification for harming others is a good thing if you can get rid of said beliefs.
As for this bit, I would disagree on the basis that race itself is merely an arbitrary invention with arbitrary cutoff lines, but generally seen as hereditary in nature. If you see a religion or other ideology as inherently hereditary (as it is seen quite often, particularly when people argue about immigration) and are ignoring or misrepresenting belief systems themselves, and ignoring internal diversity within such a group, it acts precisely the same as any other race division. If you are attacking the beliefs themselves, I agree with you entirely. It is an important distinction to make precisely because the former has already abandoned any attempt at getting rid of harmful beliefs, determining if beliefs are actually harmful, and even determining if the beliefs posited actually exist.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7802 on: June 14, 2017, 12:38:09 am »

I'm just going to point anyone in here who's been expressing doubt of the willfull ignorance regarding islam to every post alway makes. Sure, sharia is only bad because "it's a foreign sounding word durr" and not because of the examples of implementation of it we can see around the world.
Love, scriver~

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7803 on: June 14, 2017, 01:26:17 am »

... not actually what alway said. Rather entirely the opposite, even. The specific implementations are exactly what's being said needs the attention.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7804 on: June 14, 2017, 05:57:32 am »

Not sure if this belongs here, or in Science, or Technology...

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/innovation/real-tan-no-sun-needed-180963667/

SOON, Our illustrious President may cease being the spokesperson for OrangeGlow, and attain an actual tan, despite his vampiric nature preventing him from surviving in direct sunlight!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7805 on: June 14, 2017, 06:26:00 am »

200 congress members have filed corruption charges against Trump, for letting diplomats stay in his hotels, and having his brand profit from foreign relations made in office.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7806 on: June 14, 2017, 06:41:47 am »

200 congress members have filed corruption charges against Trump, for letting diplomats stay in his hotels, and having his brand profit from foreign relations made in office.

Wait... something is happening?

Or are these charges basically nothing?

I mean once again Trump made NO effort in hiding the fact that he considers these things to be fringe benefits of being the President AND it isn't like this information is very recent. So why now?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 06:46:56 am by Neonivek »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7807 on: June 14, 2017, 07:35:33 am »

Prominent Republican Congressman Steve Scalise has been shot at a baseball training in Alexandria. He was hit in the hip, the shooter has been arrested by the police.
Acording to the police, mr. Scalise is injured, but his life is not in danger.
Four of his staff members were also injured.
Police state that the unidentified gunman fired at least 50 rounds at the politicians, while they were practicing.

http://www.volkskrant.nl/buitenland/prominent-republikeins-congreslid-neergeschoten-tijdens-honkbaltraining-met-partijleden~a4500782/
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 07:37:34 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7808 on: June 14, 2017, 08:16:21 am »

Damn, as much as I dislike the Republicans, that's just nuts. Glad to hear that everybody will be okay.

some english sources:

Apparently the guy had asked whether they were GOP or Democrat: http://thehill.com/homenews/house/337724-gop-rep-before-shooting-man-asked-whether-we-were-dems-or-gop

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/14/politics/alexandria-virginia-shooting/index.html

https://www.vox.com/2017/6/14/15799256/steve-scalise-shot-gunfire-congressional-baseball

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7809 on: June 14, 2017, 08:24:34 am »

Police state that the unidentified gunman fired at least 50 rounds at the politicians, while they were practicing.
Fifty rounds? That's the trouble with gunmen, today. No pride in their work, no skill, no ability to even do a competent and efficient job.

/s, of course (after checking that there weren't fatalities)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7810 on: June 14, 2017, 08:38:35 am »

Rand Paul says it "could have have been a massacre" if not for the presence of Capitol Police.

Typical cuckservative, relying on the Nanny State to protect him. All these red-blooded, pro-2nd Amendment guys out there, and not one of them was packing heat?
Can see the NRA statement already: "If only these elected officials had been armed, this tragedy could have been prevented."

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7811 on: June 14, 2017, 08:56:03 am »

I hope it's a work of a lunatic and not politically motivated domestic terrorism. The latter is the last thing America needs right now.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7812 on: June 14, 2017, 08:59:13 am »

I hope it's a work of a lunatic and not politically motivated domestic terrorism. The latter is the last thing America needs right now.

Regardless if it was a lunatic or not, it seems to be pretty deliberately targeting Republican lawmakers as the guy had asked whether they were Republican or Democrat, which regardless of how you spin it, screams political motivation.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7813 on: June 14, 2017, 09:15:34 am »

Just as a point of order, we don't actually know if the guy who asked who was practicing on the field was the shooter. The republican representative who remembered being asked that question was not present in the stadium at the time; he was asked on his way to his car by someone who then went in.

"And it was just a little odd and then he kind of walked toward the area where all this happened."

DeSantis said the man who talked to him was not carrying anything at the time and said he told the police what had happened.
"It was just a little odd that he kind of really walked up to us to ask and then went ahead and, probably — it was probably like three minutes, five minutes after we pulled out of the parking lot," he said.

So maybe let's not speculate on what that question proves when we don't know whether or not there's any actual connection to the shooting.

Also, Trump promptly expressed sadness over the attack and says he's monitoring events closely. Good on him for giving an appropriate response.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7814 on: June 14, 2017, 09:17:29 am »

Good point on that, and lets see what Trump does/says as things develop.
Pages: 1 ... 519 520 [521] 522 523 ... 3572