Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 498 499 [500] 501 502 ... 3572

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4266202 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Comey testifies in front of Congress
« Reply #7485 on: June 08, 2017, 11:31:59 am »

Being asked whether the tapes tweet was an attempt at intimidation:
Quote from: Comey
I'm not going to sit here and try to interpret the president's tweets.
heehee
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7487 on: June 08, 2017, 11:37:10 am »

Is McCain drunk?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7488 on: June 08, 2017, 11:40:09 am »

Is McCain drunk?

Or confused or something, even Comey is confused. People on the 538 live blog FB feed are saying similar things.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7489 on: June 08, 2017, 11:41:27 am »

What is McCain talking about?  That was pure cringe.  I just lost what was left of my respect for him.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7490 on: June 08, 2017, 11:42:11 am »

Yeah, what the hell?  I wasn't going to say drunk, but it's not far off.  Did I hear "President Comey"?
He sure pushed that weird line pretty hard.  It's possible the Clinton campaign could become part of this investigation, but like Comey said, the email investigation was completed.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7491 on: June 08, 2017, 11:44:27 am »

McCain certainly sounds like he is rather out of it, http://fivethirtyeight.com/live-blog/comey-testimony/?lpup=15444779#livepress-update-15444779

Yeah, what the hell?  I wasn't going to say drunk, but it's not far off.  Did I hear "President Comey"?
He sure pushed that weird line pretty hard.  It's possible the Clinton campaign could become part of this investigation, but like Comey said, the email investigation was completed.

He did say that at one point by accident.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7492 on: June 08, 2017, 12:07:27 pm »

Mm, saw the very tail end of (short) commentary by... whichever station got left on in the other room. I can't quite nail down how hilarious it is his kid, someone who would have been along the ride with trump's previous investigative shenanigans and sundry other shit he got away with more because of money than innocence, apparently tweeted that comey's testimony showed there wasn't obstruction.

Like, of all the people to not actually know what that is, due largely with never having the hammer dropped on them in the past, trump and his kids would be near the top of a hypothetical list. Never mind they'd also be at the top of the list of people that would lie straight out their ass about it if they did.

... kinda' unfortunate that a number of folks are going to buy it. There's parts of this country (and I'm not saying they're disproportionately conservative, but...) that are so habituated to casual low-key corruption they're literally incapable of identifying it and will deny it is if pressed, nepotism and favor trading and whatnot just being the way the world works, to them. About all it would take would be to say that kind of thing is normal and totally isn't unethical or illegal or whathaveyou and they'll be nodding along. Bleh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7493 on: June 08, 2017, 01:01:56 pm »

Speaking of corruption, Paul Ryan says that no, they wouldn't impeach a Dem president accused of the same action and then gives a pseudo-exuse that Trump is just inexperienced. Pfft, they'd be howling for impeachment.

Vox article: https://www.vox.com/2017/6/8/15762458/comey-republicans-dont-care

It's obvious that they are so intent on getting their agenda done that they are willing to ignore the problems going on with the Trump admin.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #7494 on: June 08, 2017, 01:56:17 pm »

Pretty obvious there will be no "smoking gun" today. All we have is Trump standing next to a mattress covered in piss and no hookers in sight. All we know is something disgusting happened here but there's no proof it was a crime.
I feel like this is a pattern here. The Trump Administration, much like the Trump campaign, is endlessly embroiled in scandals that shock and horrify but always fall shy of the unacceptability (or illegality) threshold. So it staggers along another day, with supporters still denying and opponents still attacking. Nothing ever emerges to exonerate Trump of his many faults, nothing emerges to damn him irredeemably in the eyes of his supporters.

Is this just the new status quo?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7495 on: June 08, 2017, 02:12:02 pm »

... I mean, except shit has been falling out that strolls through the illegality threshold without blinking, at the absolute least in regards to egregious civil violations. People just haven't been investigating (to a criminal/civil degree, anyway) or pressing charges for whatever reason, and any number of previous incidences were dropped not because he wasn't guilty as hell, but because his money allowed him to game our legal system. Nothing may be damning him irredeemably in the eyes of his supporters, but that's largely because enough of 'em has decided when it comes to trump they're as ethically bankrupt as he is.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 02:14:02 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7496 on: June 08, 2017, 02:16:09 pm »

The Dems can only do so much while in the minority, they'd love to investigate all of that other stuff, but just can't because they are in the minority.

Holding the President accountable really shouldn't have to depend on who is in control of Congress.......

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7497 on: June 08, 2017, 02:27:34 pm »

If congress ever wants to impeach they can call Trump in to speak under oath about any topic (or about nothing in particular), and have perjury charges ready the next morning.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7498 on: June 08, 2017, 02:45:41 pm »

That sounds time-consuming. They could probably just note what he says at the start, and then count up the contradictions  that have accumulated by the end of what might be loosely termed a sentence.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7499 on: June 08, 2017, 02:48:33 pm »

If congress ever wants to impeach they can call Trump in to speak under oath about any topic (or about nothing in particular), and have perjury charges ready the next morning.

They'd have to plan ahead and factcheck every single word, no, letter that Trump says. And even then, both Dems and Republicans would argue over the true meaning.
Pages: 1 ... 498 499 [500] 501 502 ... 3572