Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 491 492 [493] 494 495 ... 3572

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4267791 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Russia scandal investigation rumbles onward
« Reply #7380 on: June 06, 2017, 05:19:14 pm »

...That reminds me the actual process used by the Medieval Inquisition.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7381 on: June 06, 2017, 05:22:45 pm »

When a particular definition of a word is "when it is not <the word>" in it, I can only imagine that we're laying down Logic Mines for the forthcoming war against the AIs.  Whom we should end up decimating [sic].

Of course we will, artificial intelligence is no match for actual stupidity.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7382 on: June 06, 2017, 05:24:07 pm »

I'll give you three guesses as to who investigators believe planted the fake news behind the Quatar crisis.

*ba**ding**tish*

The Russians are believed to be behind the fake news in Qatar.

I wonder if Trump even knows he fell for the bait.... Trumps impulsivity is working to their advantage.

Man, the whole Russia meddling and fake news meddling is blurring the lines between the AmeriPol thread and, well, pretty much every other region politics related thread.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 05:26:06 pm by smjjames »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7383 on: June 06, 2017, 05:27:55 pm »

Oh yeah on the spelling, and not surprised either because it smacked of the same kind of chaos that is currently happening in the WH with pitting staffers (allies in the macrocosm) against each other.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7384 on: June 06, 2017, 05:42:27 pm »

It's also a very convenient out for both Qatar and the United States that can't be independently verified.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7385 on: June 06, 2017, 05:54:37 pm »

... y'know, it's interesting the iranian revolutionary guard was mentioned a page or two back. Just noticed this, apparently from a few months back and mostly talking about things from years earlier. Always kinda' neat to remember when trump denounces iran's funding of terrorists that the guy was only somewhat indirectly helping them do so :V
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7386 on: June 06, 2017, 06:33:00 pm »

It's also a very convenient out for both Qatar and the United States that can't be independently verified.

It's up to Saudi Arabia and the others to believe the out, or don't.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7387 on: June 06, 2017, 07:17:01 pm »

Nice of Russia, but it also serves their interests successfully. Saudi domination is a direct threat on their stronger satellite, Iran.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7388 on: June 06, 2017, 07:17:23 pm »

I find it amusing all the kerfuffle over Qatar. people like having opinions on it but I doubt 99.99 percent of them can oven point it out on a map. doubly so for its neighbor Bahrain. their position however is extremely strategic and is made clear if you do know. Now I wouldn't shed a tear over it being annexed as its another corrupt shitty Arabian county that exists becasue colonialism but the US shouldn't really care about that only its strategic position which trump seem ignorant of.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7389 on: June 06, 2017, 07:39:36 pm »

Nice of Russia, but it also serves their interests successfully. Saudi domination is a direct threat on their stronger satellite, Iran.

It's very Machiavellian. Saudi Arabia wanted an excuse to take Qatar down a notch, to boost their own relative regional power, and they wanted an excuse to block Al Jazeera broadcasts inside their own nation, which gives them much more control of the media messages within their own dictatorship.

So the Saudis have mainly inward-looking reasons for wanting this to happen, which to them are worth more than the outward losses, which are what hurts America in all this.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 07:45:28 pm by Reelya »

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7390 on: June 06, 2017, 07:44:00 pm »

It's very Machiavellian. Saudi Arabia wanted an excuse to take Qatar down a notch, to boost their own relative regional power, and they wanted an excuse to block Al Jazeera broadcasts inside their own nation, which gives them much more control of the media messages within their own dictatorship.

So the Saudis have mainly inward-looking reasons for wanting this to happen, which to them are worth more than the outward losses, which are what hurts America in all this.

It's almost like having shitty countries for regional allies tends to bite America in the ass or something.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7391 on: June 06, 2017, 07:48:23 pm »

If Saudi Arabia ever wanted to annex Qatar, this is probably the time to do it.

They're too militarily powerful and the western economies are too interdependent with them to properly stop them from doing so. Plus Trump is boasting about securing a $147 billion arms deal with them, much of his economic credibility is in fact dependent on the lifeline they've thrown him.

Let's face it: the Saudi's bought your leader as their man, right before doing this move to isolate an extremely wealthy small nation nearby.

This might be the true Trump legacy, if regional powers start invading each other because the administration can't get their shit straight.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 07:53:16 pm by Reelya »

Pancakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels drink: Too insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #7392 on: June 06, 2017, 08:07:50 pm »

I find it amusing all the kerfuffle over Qatar. people like having opinions on it but I doubt 99.99 percent of them can oven point it out on a map.

Hope I got it
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7393 on: June 06, 2017, 08:11:30 pm »

If Saudi Arabia ever wanted to annex Qatar, this is probably the time to do it.

They're too militarily powerful and the western economies are too interdependent with them to properly stop them from doing so. Plus Trump is boasting about securing a $147 billion arms deal with them, much of his economic credibility is in fact dependent on the lifeline they've thrown him.
Also hey, bonus points for trump, folks seem to be noticing the sauds can't really actually pay for that deal (apparently made largely of empty promises and things people would like at the mo', ahaha) trump's been crowing about. If SA annexes and pillages qatar, the US might actually see that arms deal go through!

... I won't lie, while vehemently opposed to both, I'd probably rather we just annexed and pillaged qatar, if it came to that. It would likely be faster, kill less civilians, and get us money sooner without getting saudi arabia funding the process. Win/win/win Less lose/less lose/less lose!
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #7394 on: June 06, 2017, 08:21:42 pm »

I am 100% behind annexing Qatar, because I am always about unprovoked wars of aggression (Meanwhile, in the distance, I hear the russian forum-members erupting in immense fury).

I don't know if I would go so far as to call Iran a satellite. That pushes Iran too far into Russia's column. There's no doubt there are on the same side often, but it limits the conversation a bit calling them a mere satellite of the Ruskies. (My spellchecker got that one right. That's an A+ right there.)
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: 1 ... 491 492 [493] 494 495 ... 3572