Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 488 489 [490] 491 492 ... 3572

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4268448 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Russia scandal investigation rumbles onward
« Reply #7335 on: June 05, 2017, 10:44:26 pm »

On may 19th the Wall Street Journal wrote an editorial attacking Net Neutrality: "Why ‘Net Neutrality’ Drives the Left Crazy"

*today* however, they're griping about Google's search rankings being "unfair" to WSJ because they're not highly rated since they paywalled their articles, and Google's bots can't actually read the articles now to see if they're relevant.

They want Google to make a "fair" search engine. With "fair" defined as "rates us highly". Is the irony lost on anyone?

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7336 on: June 05, 2017, 10:47:21 pm »

used to like wall street journal. it's trash now.

used to like new york times. it's trash now.

used to like cnn. it's trash now.

used to like bbc. it's trash now.

used to like the economist. it's trash now.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7337 on: June 05, 2017, 11:05:06 pm »

Conclusion: internet people ruin everything
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7338 on: June 05, 2017, 11:41:27 pm »

Woody
Was gonna say, you're dealing with a whole generation that literally grew up with him as Woody to the point that the movie cast grew up with them and it was a main theme of the series, and the Rock is more recognizable as a character than any of his movie roles.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7339 on: June 05, 2017, 11:45:58 pm »

Maybe it's just my parents generation talking but I was taught that you are not supposed to 'like' any of your news sources.  They are supposed to report the news in a balanced way.  If you like a particular publication's spin they are doing it wrong and you should not use it (or any single publication for that matter) as your only source of news.  Even the most neutral of publications have humans as writers and editors.  Bias is inevitable.

While I have on occasion made mistakes and jumped at only one source when I'm looking things up, or posting on my lunch breaks, or other such times when I don't have time to do a thorough check, or full access to subscriptions, we should all strive to have multiple sources whenever possible.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #7340 on: June 05, 2017, 11:55:53 pm »

If I could pick any fictional incompetent to be President, it would be Chance the Gardener, AKA Chauncy Gardiner from Being There.

President Bobby: Mr. Gardner, do you agree with Ben, or do you think that we can stimulate growth through temporary incentives?
[Long pause]
Chance the Gardener: As long as the roots are not severed, all is well.
Maybe it's just my parents generation talking but I was taught that you are not supposed to 'like' any of your news sources.  They are supposed to report the news in a balanced way.  If you like a particular publication's spin they are doing it wrong and you should not use it (or any single publication for that matter) as your only source of news.  Even the most neutral of publications have humans as writers and editors.  Bias is inevitable.

While I have on occasion made mistakes and jumped at only one source when I'm looking things up, or posting on my lunch breaks, or other such times when I don't have time to do a thorough check, or full access to subscriptions, we should all strive to have multiple sources whenever possible.
Now that's a neat perspective. But then aren't you at the mercy of News Aggregators instead of individual News sources? It would seem that you have to rely on a "favorite" somewhere, right?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #7341 on: June 06, 2017, 12:25:01 am »

Americans think they choose their own news sources, but in truth its all from Associated Press.

Actually its interesting, I asked my friend who's family watches the big 3 news networks obsessively (they've been in politics for generations) where US news networks get their news from.  This was his answer (chopped up from the chat to remove irrelevant side conversation):
Well Fox and MSNBC are more opinion based, so they tend to comment on the news as it breaks
but they both do investigate stories and get exclusives
CNN does more than them, but usually in a less interesting manner
Like 70% of news is first reported by the Associated Press, the AP
Reuters does a bit too, as do the Washington Post and NY Times.
Combined those 4 make up a good 85% of breaking news and investigations

Edit for clarity: the third quote was in response to the second.  The big 3 weren't included in the 85%.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 12:27:39 am by EnigmaticHat »
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7342 on: June 06, 2017, 12:32:27 am »

I suppose that could be true, though I had to look up the definition of a News Aggregator.  Unless google counts or my store's news rack counts I think I may be avoiding them.  I pretty much just know a number of famous publications, and then google the publication itself, look for an article on it, and then do the same for a few more publications until I've seen a few different takes on it.

I may get a little bit of bias still. I'm not sure bias can be entirely avoided.  But I seem to be getting a good jist of both sides of the coin even if I myself often disagree with one of the sides(and not always the same one).  I like to think I'm doing lot better than if I just read only Time Magazine or WSJ every day.

I don't watch much tv so I haven't been getting much from tv sources. I probably should.

@EnigmaticHat Huh interesting. I knew a lot was AP but I didn't realize it was quite that much.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 12:35:06 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #7343 on: June 06, 2017, 12:59:54 am »

Part of the reason Jon Stewart did so well (and accidentally built a TV franchise to rival that of the great Dick Wolf) is because the big news networks aren't really journalists any more.  I mean they *have* journalists, but its less and less the main point every day.  That implication was always there, news companies have always had TV crews and writers and anchors (who are really actors by a different name).  But the 24 hour news cycle has kicked things into overdrive because the ratio of man hours spent on entertainment industry stuff versus journalism stuff has skewed wildly towards entertainment.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7344 on: June 06, 2017, 04:00:20 am »

He, apart from CNN I wouldn't consider any of those trash. (Although I don't really use the BBC of WSJ that much, so I don't have an opinion).

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7345 on: June 06, 2017, 05:10:49 am »

You should really recycle your newspapers, instead of trashing them.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7346 on: June 06, 2017, 07:49:38 am »

So what do you watch these days - Fox News? Because you don't exactly strike me as the MSNBC type...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7347 on: June 06, 2017, 08:24:36 am »

So what do you watch these days - Fox News? Because you don't exactly strike me as the MSNBC type...

Well, MSNBC has always been trash.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7348 on: June 06, 2017, 08:42:28 am »

Here we go, Trump disses another ally without knowing the full facts. Is it me or my liberal bias or does it almost sound like he is itching for things to come to blows?

And of course, he likely has absolutely no understanding of Quatars geopolitical role in the region, which complicates things further.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 08:47:52 am by smjjames »

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7349 on: June 06, 2017, 08:48:42 am »

Well, MSNBC has always been trash.
never liked Fox News or MSNBC. as for "not liking your news sources," i didn't mean because they agreed with me, i meant because they generally had good reporting of events/level-headed editorial coverage. now they're literally ISIS.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 488 489 [490] 491 492 ... 3572