Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 475 476 [477] 478 479 ... 3573

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4273756 times)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Russia scandal investigation rumbles onward
« Reply #7140 on: June 01, 2017, 10:11:53 pm »

Yaaaaay. https://twitter.com/crulge/status/870433452717477888
Also worth checking out the source of that chart they link a few tweets down; it has charts from later predictions. Values of -4 means 'severe drought.' By the 2060 chart, the entire mainland US is in severe drought, with most of the west and midwest in the -10 to -20 range.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7141 on: June 01, 2017, 10:15:15 pm »

"It will be the cleanest country, the greatest counrty, no country will be cleaner than us!"

The orange man said, as he proceeded to withdraw from the Paris agreement, support the coal industry, and believe global warming is a Chinese lie.  The crowd cheered, especially in his mind.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7142 on: June 01, 2017, 10:16:59 pm »

Also worth checking out the source of that chart they link a few tweets down; it has charts from later predictions. Values of -4 means 'severe drought.' By the 2060 chart, the entire mainland US is in severe drought, with most of the west and midwest in the -10 to -20 range.

I don't see the ones for 2060, though for the 2030's one, Northern Spain already has it horribad for some reason.

Anyway, Trump is now officially taking the travel ban to SCOTUS, even outright asking them to reinstate it (that's not how it works). While it's been through the legal system so far, given Trumps insistence on winning this thing and throwing a tantrum, I'm a bit worried about what he might do if SCOTUS knocks it down (they've actually been trying to avoid having to make a decision on it) since it's the highest court in the land, if they say no, then that's what the President has to follow.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 10:28:03 pm by smjjames »

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7143 on: June 01, 2017, 10:46:40 pm »

neo you just replied to that like "the president just drank water out of a toilet bowl!" with a response equivalent of "well presidents are allowed to drink water. [...] A toilet bowl, mind you, is a bit odd."

Damn, I didn't know I was so suave.
... I don't see the connection.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7144 on: June 01, 2017, 10:51:44 pm »

Imagine for a moment, desc, the bit you wrote spoken by, say, sean connery. If that does not explain I'm too sleepy to do better and tap out.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #7145 on: June 02, 2017, 12:35:43 am »

Anyway, Trump is now officially taking the travel ban to SCOTUS, even outright asking them to reinstate it (that's not how it works). While it's been through the legal system so far, given Trumps insistence on winning this thing and throwing a tantrum, I'm a bit worried about what he might do if SCOTUS knocks it down (they've actually been trying to avoid having to make a decision on it) since it's the highest court in the land, if they say no, then that's what the President has to follow.
Calling it now: Trump calls for revival of FDR's court packing plan. Republicans, taken aback and appalled and shocked at such a frightening power grab... pass it as quietly as they can through congress while decrying this terrible thing that is somehow happening. "Who were the 247 in the house and 52 in the senate voting for such a thing? It is an outrage and I'm sure we would all like to get to the bottom of it, but I'm not sure we will ever know," John McCain will be heard saying.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 12:38:13 am by alway »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #7146 on: June 02, 2017, 01:01:36 am »

I don't Republicans would go that far. The near demise of the Healthcare bill gives hope. When elimination of the Filibuster is under consideration than I'd be concerned.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7147 on: June 02, 2017, 01:33:53 am »

The mutant OompahLoompah has already stated that he feels the senate should nuke the legislative fillibuster.  Read it in the news 2 days ago.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/30/politics/donald-trump-senate-tweet/

Gotta love it when the parasitic toupee overheats the substandard brain matter contained within the orange cranium.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7148 on: June 02, 2017, 02:40:17 am »

Question/thought: was the FDR election and the New Deal business the start of the drift of presidents from being seen as the lawmakers rather than the law doers?
Love, scriver~

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7149 on: June 02, 2017, 03:12:05 am »

I don't know that the distinction was ever very clear. You see as far back as at least Lincoln the reaction to the President as the trajectory of the nation (Lincoln insists he isn't going to ban slavery, the south secedes anyway). Every President with the exception of Harrison, and what an exception that is, has issued executive orders.

FDR got a pretty perfect storm for his political power with Hoover just sort of giving up on the nation's economic solvency followed immediately by the general increase in authority given by war footing. Even the "Imperial President" had a bunch of executive orders struck down, so....I think it's just a constant authority struggle that the three-branch system has inherently.

Perhaps it is merely a quality of the modern age to have more reactive Presidents. Our politics now move at the speed of light instead of the far more reasonable speed of horses.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7150 on: June 02, 2017, 03:47:58 am »

Well, the trend of Presidents towards lawmaker has been noted and resisted--rightfully--by various groups over the years, and we should be grateful that this conflux of republican control has a moron sitting in charge because the checks against a president being able to more or less directly say "this is a law now" are far less effective right now than they would normally be.
Hrrm. A prediction can usually be called a forecast, and is a statement that the model expects a certain state at a certain time. A projection is a statement that the model expects a certain state at a certain time if certain conditions change in a certain way so it is adding on to the difficulty of validating a forecast model via hindcast tests due to the assumed changes and assumed results of said changes. If these models had been validated with hindcasting we could have some confidence of the individual error range of each model and use that to estimate the predictive ability of a forecast produced with said model. Instead they are compared with other models of similar types running the same future scenario assumptions and then the high and low end projections are--absurdly--treated as though they're validating the accuracy of models near the middle of the group.

With that in mind, Paris was set to go into force in 2020 officially wasn't it? Could any effect postulated by any group regarding the emission changes the US would have undergone from following the agreement until 2030 be identified? How much would it have cost to make said change towards the warming goal set in Paris? It's looking like we're talking about something less than a tenth of a degree at most which we'd be "dooming future generations to deal with" which is impressive because the various global temperature datasets round their amazingly optimistic significant digit readings to a tenth or larger generally.

With that out of the way...

It was profoundly stupid because as I said, he has no understanding regarding any reason to be worried or not about the climate, fucking mook probably lacks a basic grasp of what the word means, but even someone who thinks it is absurd to be alarmed over these projections should have been able to see Paris is non-binding; you could just play along without following the emissions targets and preserve at least some of our reputation overseas.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7151 on: June 02, 2017, 04:06:06 am »

Good things might still come of this. With some luck the entire rest of the world will boycot all US products, and we will finally be rid of Windows.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7152 on: June 02, 2017, 04:17:14 am »

Good things might still come of this. With some luck the entire rest of the world will boycot all US products, and we will finally be rid of Windows.

Ohh so that is how the world ends!

Ohh, don't get me wrong it isn't because everyone stops using Windows.

It is because everyone starts using Macs.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7153 on: June 02, 2017, 04:17:55 am »

Dont be silly. It will finally be the year of the linux desktop.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7154 on: June 02, 2017, 04:22:21 am »

I do wonder really. How long would the US economy last until it collapses, if the entire world would boycot all US products, or in other words, the 'export' tab disappears from the national budget?

(While ofcourse a worldwide boycot is not going to happen, I can foresee stuff like US products not being allowed on the EU market because they do not meet environmental standards)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 04:24:13 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 475 476 [477] 478 479 ... 3573