Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 465 466 [467] 468 469 ... 3573

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4279434 times)

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Trump fires FBI Dir. Comey, sheneinighans abound
« Reply #6990 on: May 31, 2017, 10:10:51 am »

when people use the phrase "punching nazis" they generally refer to doing this. anyone who unironically talks about "punching nazis" instantly earns my ire, especially when you consider the huge amount of influence these groups have gained just by being punched.

What should be particularly worrisome about supposedly "anti-fascist" terrorists like this is that not only do they approve of "punching" (often actually assault with a deadly weapon) "Nazis," but their definition of "Nazi" is as fluid as a Usenet poster's.  It is essentially anyone who disagrees with them in any way.
I'm googling it and I literally cannot turn up a single person killed by Antifa?  Like typing things like "antifa killing" "killed by antifa" or "killed by anti-fascist" is literally just turning up antifascist people who were killed by neo-nazies... in other countries.  Hell, I looked up "list of antifa attacks" and I got... Berkley.  It wasn't even a list, it was just that.

Which is funny because I can find at least one person who was killed by a neonazi in America since 2017.

"assault with a deadly weapon" is not "murder."

as someone who lives in berkeley, I can list a shitload of instances of antifa morons assaulting people with a deadly weapon, i.e. Eric Clanton bike-locking three people, all of them non-violent, at the April 15th rally, or someone who still hasn't been fucking caught hitting a prone man over the head with a shovel. If you think this isn't a fucking problem...if you think that two lone wolf stabbings by mental cases are worse than a nationwide trend of political violence...I don't think I can help here. It's despicable the kind of damage alt-right types do, but trying to deflect using that is cowardly.

Cites Berkeley (literally a byword for the far-left in America), extrapolates this to "a nationwide trend of political violence".
Well done.

Newsflash: Outside of Berkeley, antifa isn't doing jack.
you realize these guys have shown up to events across the country, right? from auburn and nawlins to portland, from new york and boston to anaheim?

sure, they're not beating the shit out of people yet, but it's a matter of time. the cats out of the bag now, thanks to the communist ninjas. 2018 and 2020 are going to be fun, get the popcorn.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6991 on: May 31, 2017, 10:20:13 am »

So it's unfair to assume that armed alt-right militias are going to cause trouble, but it's totes okay to assume that antifa is? Just trying to set the ground rules here.

Showing up and *not* beating the shit out of people is called "peaceful assembly". Ironically, it's the same right that some people are screaming needs to be defended with armed militias.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6992 on: May 31, 2017, 10:22:16 am »

you realize these guys have shown up to events across the country, right? from auburn and nawlins to portland, from new york and boston to anaheim?

sure, they're not beating the shit out of people yet, but it's a matter of time. the cats out of the bag now, thanks to the communist ninjas. 2018 and 2020 are going to be fun, get the popcorn.

That sounds like pure Conservative Republican crack smoking paranoid bullshit. Yeah, the street are going to be overrun with antifa guys with bandanas on their faces, smashing things killing people and screaming about fascism.

Next thing you're going to say is the race war is right around the corner, because Trayvon and all other shit is finally going to come home to roost.

People need to quit engaging their politically apocalyptic masturbation fantasies. That's how we got to Trump in the first goddamn place.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6993 on: May 31, 2017, 10:26:28 am »

So it's unfair to assume that armed alt-right militias are going to cause trouble, but it's totes okay to assume that antifa is? Just trying to set the ground rules here.

Showing up and *not* beating the shit out of people is called "peaceful assembly". Ironically, it's the same right that some people are screaming needs to be defended with armed militias.
i'm not assuming that "armed" "alt-right" militias (they wouldn't be armed in a city like portland, and they're just kooks, not alt-right) won't cause trouble, i'm assuming they'll cause less trouble on a defensive footing than antifa on an offensive footing. and i'm also arguing that all the antifa types have done is radicalized the not-alt right even more. cat's out of the bag now, though.

That sounds like pure Conservative Republican crack smoking paranoid bullshit. Yeah, the street are going to be overrun with antifa guys with bandanas on their faces, smashing things killing people and screaming about fascism.

Next thing you're going to say is the race war is right around the corner, because Trayvon and all other shit is finally going to come home to roost.

People need to quit engaging their politically apocalyptic masturbation fantasies. That's how we got to Trump in the first goddamn place.
woah, okay. thanks for putting words in my mouth.

i'm not saying it's going to be the end of days, i'm saying it's going to be fun to see the kekistan larpers fight the communist ninjas for control of some shitty public park day in day out.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 10:28:07 am by Playergamer »
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6994 on: May 31, 2017, 10:31:52 am »

The antifa thing in Auburn was fantastic, they just mocked them, and yes, as far left as I am, it just goes to show that the enemy of your enemy is not always an ally, sometimes they're just douchey protest-hipsters who want to feel righteous when they break shit.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6995 on: May 31, 2017, 10:34:16 am »

The antifa thing in Auburn was fantastic, they just mocked them, and yes, as far left as I am, it just goes to show that the enemy of your enemy is not always an ally, sometimes they're just douchey protest-hipsters who want to feel righteous when they break shit.

Well... the whole saying "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" was always meant to be ironic and in some ways duplicitous.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6996 on: May 31, 2017, 10:47:09 am »

hearts and brainzz
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6997 on: May 31, 2017, 10:48:17 am »

You obviously missed the 1990's, when we had street gangs allied with UN troops and ChiComs to take over America, and we were saved only by hundreds of militias talking about what they'd do and occasionally going deer hunting or playing paintball.  :P

i'm not assuming that "armed" "alt-right" militias (they wouldn't be armed in a city like portland, and they're just kooks, not alt-right) won't cause trouble, i'm assuming they'll cause less trouble on a defensive footing than antifa on an offensive footing. and i'm also arguing that all the antifa types have done is radicalized the not-alt right even more. cat's out of the bag now, though.
If they're not armed, I fail to see how they're going to be more effective security than an actual security company and/or the police. I mean, shit, even Mall Cops have a nightstick or taser or pepper spray or something.

If they're just there as a "show of force", then that's not security it's intimidation.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 10:55:27 am by RedKing »

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6998 on: May 31, 2017, 10:53:06 am »

... so can anyone actually find data on stateside political violence? 'Cause I just spent the last hour digging around, and the last numbers specifically tracking that that approached particularly good seem to have ended in '68, with the last period in 2010. Bit more with somewhat more specialized stuff like domestic terrorism and hate/extremist groups (which definitely appears to have a strong lean, politics wise), but not something I'd be willing to cite as signs of any particular trend.

Someone out there happens to know where to find something that's worth a damn, it'd be nice to hear about. Most of the more recent stuff I'm seeing is either biased as all hell or light on actual numbers... and if we know anything, it's that american feelings on crime rates et al are among the gold standards for "shit what is wrong".
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6999 on: May 31, 2017, 11:03:07 am »

UMd's START database is my go-to for numbers on political violence, and they do have a subset on terrorism and extremist violence in the United States, including a sub-subset on bombing and arson attacks by the ELF and ALF (ecoterrorism).

Unfortunately, their TEVUS database is access by request only.
Fortunately, it doesn't look like it has any cost associated, nor is it a requisite that you be an academic. So if someone wants to sign up and get access to the datasets, feel free and then let us know what you find out. Would be a great side project for a PoliSci major or stats geek.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7000 on: May 31, 2017, 11:12:26 am »

Hrm. Pretty sure I actually ran into that one, but kept moving due to the whole access thing. Didn't bother checking to see what registration actually entailed, heh. Got about twenty minutes before I have to haul off for a while, but I'll see what that involves if the time allows and/or I don't forget by the time I get back.

E: Well, request submitted. Email from 'em says the request will be reviewed and responded to within seven days, so... yeah.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 11:21:13 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7001 on: May 31, 2017, 11:29:29 am »

I haven't worked with TEVUS, but I have worked with START in the past. Excellent quality data, they tend to include citations and lots of extentuating information for each incident (as much as they can) so you can decide whether it meets your criteria or not.

I was looking at PKK attacks in Turkey then, but I'd be interested to see this data too, if I had the time to do anything with it.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7002 on: May 31, 2017, 11:37:47 am »

extentuating

Do you mean "extenuating", or is this some obscure statistical jargon I'm not familiar with?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #7003 on: May 31, 2017, 12:23:56 pm »

The internet has earned the destruction of network neutrality. Trump backs out of a climate change agreement simply because he wants to flex his tiny executive prick? Murmurs. Trump misspells a tweet? Infinite bullshit.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7004 on: May 31, 2017, 12:41:54 pm »

The internet has earned the destruction of network neutrality. Trump backs out of a climate change agreement simply because he wants to flex his tiny executive prick? Murmurs. Trump misspells a tweet? Infinite bullshit.

Elect meme president, get meme prizes.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again
Pages: 1 ... 465 466 [467] 468 469 ... 3573