Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 404 405 [406] 407 408 ... 3563

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4151209 times)

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Trump fires FBI Dir. Comey, sheneinighans abound
« Reply #6075 on: May 10, 2017, 10:22:05 am »

"James Comey has been fired."

*cheers*

"No, you're not meant to cheer, you...you Trump supporters!"

I don't want to pick on Colbert, but this is a little bit silly.

It was breaking news, they didn't have time to brief the audience on whether they should cheer or not.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6076 on: May 10, 2017, 10:28:27 am »

It's a running joke for Colbert to chastise the audience when they get too enthusiastic and cheer for no reason or for the wrong things. There was another one when they cheered for "lost causes are the only ones Democrats fight for", and he responded with "I don't think you know what you were cheering for just then".
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #6077 on: May 10, 2017, 01:31:12 pm »

MSH is right, It is indeed. Sometimes his audience cheers at the weirdest things; a relic I think of the comedy central years. The Colbert Nation just really likes cheering. They do stuff like cheer "Only 4684 days left!" It can be pretty funny sometimes: when his audience gave a long cheer for Bill O'Reily getting fired, Colbert interrupted with "Lot of Bill O'Reilly fans here tonight, really nice to see them."

So the major details developing now: McConnell rejects calls for a special prosecutor. No one knows who is going to replace Comey. Democrats are incensed, Republicans are muted, with a number of exceptions. Reports are emerging that Comey had requested additional support for the Russia probe from the DOJ days before he was fired. The Senate Panel's investigation prepares to issue subpoenas, but the Comey thing has seriously hurt it, both its ability to investigate and its bipartisanship. Oh, and as always, no one knows where this goes next.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #6078 on: May 10, 2017, 02:01:46 pm »

To be fair, everyone had a reason to hate Comey -- he pretty clearly swung the election for Trump, and whether he intended to or not, he must have predicted it would have some effect. And of course Trump does't like him because Comey started investigating.

Let's all just take a minute and think about how we got into this position where both sides are cheering because a guy was fired for doing his job.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6079 on: May 10, 2017, 02:05:51 pm »

doing his job is not the whole story. There is no reason why a probe into emails should take more than a month. It seems like he was playing sides, but things didn't turn out the way he wanted, leading him to switch sides, etc.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6080 on: May 10, 2017, 02:24:45 pm »

Yeah, as someone pointed out on another board, hash the new emails, check against old emails, eliminate copies, grep a few keywords/strings, why the fuck would this take more than day even assuming you had lots of new ones and multiple hits on relevant terms? Do these shmucks not know how to into computarz?

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6081 on: May 10, 2017, 02:30:15 pm »

doing his job is not the whole story. There is no reason why a probe into emails should take more than a month. It seems like he was playing sides, but things didn't turn out the way he wanted, leading him to switch sides, etc.

I fully understand WHY he did what he did during the election. I think he did what he felt was the right thing under the circumstances, unfortunately there are procedures and precedent in place already which he went against. I don't particularly hold any hard feelings against him for that. But just on a flat out "did he do his job" measurement, no. He screwed up. Also given the sheer scale of the email issue and the number of devices that had to be dealt with along with the need to try to piece together as much deleted data as possible, I'm not surprised at all it took as long as it did.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6082 on: May 10, 2017, 03:04:42 pm »

Vladamir Putin was interviewed about the firing, and he was about to play hockey or something. His responce was along the lines of "Trump can do whatever he wants. I'm here to play hockey."
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #6083 on: May 10, 2017, 03:50:51 pm »

Damn, that rules out Russian involvement. Everyone knows it's impossible to lie while holding a hockey stick.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6085 on: May 10, 2017, 05:01:34 pm »

Steve Bannon: FBI agent.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6086 on: May 10, 2017, 05:07:24 pm »

Trump on Order 66:

"Jedi are not good for the galaxy! Very bad! Clones are doing good job taking them out. This will make the Republic Great Again!"

I cannot fucking believe we have a half-assed Emperor Palpatine for a president, and literally nothing is being done about the blatantly shifty, borderline illegal shit he is doing.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6087 on: May 10, 2017, 05:13:43 pm »

Trump on Order 66:

"Jedi are not good for the galaxy! Very bad! Clones are doing good job taking them out. This will make the Republic Great Again!"

I cannot fucking believe we have a half-assed Emperor Palpatine for a president, and literally nothing is being done about the blatantly shifty, borderline illegal shit he is doing.
counter-argument: the empire under palpatine is a 100+ times better than the republic.

think of it like syria: the only reason palpatine does literally anything evil is because of the rebels. sure the death star is evil supreme, but rebel scum.

the republic is a mess of corruption, crime, and scheming political factions that killed a shitload of innocents in the crossfire. the empire is corrupt, but it's stable, and more prosperous for 99% of the people (besides aliens, but who cares about aliens amirite.)
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6088 on: May 10, 2017, 05:18:47 pm »

Trump on Order 66:

counter-argument: the empire under palpatine is a 100+ times better than the republic.

think of it like syria: the only reason palpatine does literally anything evil is because of the rebels. sure the death star is evil supreme, but rebel scum.

the republic is a mess of corruption, crime, and scheming political factions that killed a shitload of innocents in the crossfire. the empire is corrupt, but it's stable, and more prosperous for 99% of the people (besides aliens, but who cares about aliens amirite.)
And all those gulenists Rebels are trying to overthought the legitimate government! We need to root them out before they undermine our greatness and all the progress we are making towards stability! Only the emperor has the strength to fix all the problems!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6089 on: May 10, 2017, 05:19:58 pm »

Let's be honest, if Trump is anything, he's Jar-Jar: barely sapient, unintelligible, offends decent folk just by existing, easily manipulated into enabling massive rollbacks of freedom and justice.
Pages: 1 ... 404 405 [406] 407 408 ... 3563