Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 403 404 [405] 406 407 ... 3563

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4151215 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Trump fires FBI Dir. Comey, sheneinighans abound
« Reply #6060 on: May 09, 2017, 11:14:02 pm »

Very unlikely. The FBI has spent all the years since Hoover building up an internal tradition of staying the fuck out of politics -that is why Comey got in so much trouble with everyone in the first place. Any Director that tried to pull Hoover-like shenanigans of that sort would be exposed in an extremely short time, and getting caught doing that would be ever-having-a-job-again suicide.

Which would make the job of a self proclaimed or a known Trump loyalist all that much harder because it's obvious that it's a political appointee, which it really isn't supposed to be.

If the person chosen has a solid integrity, is trusted to do the job right, and isn't a Trump loyalist/supporter (does having voted for Trump count?) then great.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6061 on: May 09, 2017, 11:19:56 pm »

I mean I wouldn't be worried about who Donald Trump appoints if... we... KIND OF didn't have a slight teenie weenie tendency to appoint people that really shouldn't get the job and who are more "in his pocket" then they are "competent".

I mean stacking the deck in your party's favor is fair game as long as you aren't flipping the board.

Thankfully in a stunning twist... a few of them actually refuse his appointments.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I mean I wouldn't be worried about who Donald Trump appoints if... we... KIND OF didn't have a slight teenie weenie tendency to appoint people that really shouldn't get the job and who are more "in his pocket" then they are "competent".

I mean stacking the deck in your party's favor is fair game as long as you aren't flipping the board.

Thankfully in a stunning twist... a few of them actually refuse his appointments.

I sense the firing is going to be one of those "everyone agrees for entirely different reasons" moments. Perhaps diametrically opposed reasons, in fact.

(Meanwhile, Wikipedia has already been updated with the information, before half of the news-sites. Madness.)

The problem I have is that Trump typically only hires sycophants... so I WONDER what will happen to that FBI investigation.

Mattis and McMaster are both pretty far away from any definition of sycophant.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #6063 on: May 10, 2017, 12:29:47 am »

Politico had an interesting (although surprisingly long and detailed given how bloody soon they put it out after Comey got the sack) examination of the history of Comey: how he ended up alone, with no allies, and in a position for Trump to finish him off. In particular, they described him making his actions before the election as under the impression that Clinton was definitely going to be President, and so to make his hands appear clean (not hiding any sort of Clinton wrongdoing); people close to him expected that the worse case scenario was Clinton would become President, be really pissed at him, chew him out, and then he'd explain to her that it was her doing that caused this problem. Of course, it didn't end up that way, and Comey went down as the Man who Moved an Election.

Regarding Mattis and McMaster, frankly, I think that's neither here nor there. Those were both McCain wing picks, sure. But the next head of FBI is what matters, and the sheer level of, oh what's the word. the scrutiny that will be placed on them and the optics of their decision and the Senate confirmation will be hugely important. Either way, Neo isn't wrong here. Trump does have a tendency to appoint more DeVos's than McMasters. So given that, and the no doubt impressive scrutiny of his decision, it will be interesting to see what happens next.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #6064 on: May 10, 2017, 12:45:52 am »

I wonder how long it will take the new guy to find some evidence of Obama bugging Trump during the election?
Pick a length of time.  Longer than that time.

As much as Republicans have looked for their ___gate when it comes to Obama, he's no Nixon.

Apparently I was being too subtle, so allow me to speak plainly.
Trump is now going to hire some tool who will falsify evidence to support the outlandish claims that Trump drunkenly tweets at 3 AM.
...that's fair  :-X
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6065 on: May 10, 2017, 12:48:53 am »

Cruz released a statement about Comey:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #6066 on: May 10, 2017, 12:51:19 am »

I might have to stop using Politico so much (their damn site seems to think that this is Sunday), but in the meantime:
Behind Comey’s firing: An enraged Trump, fuming about Russia
...what?

This fucking politics thing man. My classes end in three days, this shit needs to stop until I'm out of school! Next I'm going to hear that we're on the brink of war with the Koreans, and I'll just have to tell my professors to fail me.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6067 on: May 10, 2017, 12:53:11 am »

I might have to stop using Politico so much (their damn site seems to think that this is Sunday), but in the meantime:
Behind Comey’s firing: An enraged Trump, fuming about Russia
...what?

This fucking politics thing man. My classes end in three days, this shit needs to stop until I'm out of school! Next I'm going to hear that we're on the brink of war with the Koreans, and I'll just have to tell my professors to fail me.
That appears to be one of the messages left by the 1970s serial killer known as the Zodiac Killer. "Ted Cruz was the Zodiac Killer" was a popular election meme.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6068 on: May 10, 2017, 12:54:59 am »

Eyyyyy!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6069 on: May 10, 2017, 01:30:45 am »

Plus we don't know if Trump's choice involved any... behind the scene deals to... Relax (or remove) the investigation.

But as people have said anyone Trump choses will be under heavy scrutiny. I am sure any... suspicious phonecalls or meetings with Trump or someone associated with him might come to light if it occurred.

Hence why: "Mattis and McMaster are both pretty far away from any definition of sycophant"

Doesn't alleviate my issues. It is easy to go "You want the job? Make that investigation go my way and you got it"

Which I wouldn't have to worry about if gawd dang Trump would stop pulling this crud!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 01:33:40 am by Neonivek »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6070 on: May 10, 2017, 05:48:34 am »

Comey should run for president. Promise that if he is elected, he will use his authority to fully disclose all FBI investigations into both Hillary and Trump. That should be enough to get him elected.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6071 on: May 10, 2017, 07:14:25 am »

Comey should run for president. Promise that if he is elected, he will use his authority to fully disclose all FBI investigations into both Hillary and Trump. That should be enough to get him elected.

God no. Whatever Trump's reasoning, Comey has been a huge screwup. Thats what makes it such a weird thing. Comey should be fired, but it just looks horribly suspicious the circumstances of the firing.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6072 on: May 10, 2017, 10:01:53 am »

God no. Whatever Trump's reasoning, Comey has been a huge screwup. Thats what makes it such a weird thing. Comey should be fired, but it just looks horribly suspicious the circumstances of the firing.

Yeah, pretty much the ONLY thing (well, things) that make this look massively terrible optically is due to the timing and Trumps whole reasoning of it. Plus the fact that AG Sessions was supposed to have recused himself from anything Russia investigation related.

or tl;dr, if Comeys conduct was the only thing remotely controversial, there wouldn't be this big of an uproar.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6073 on: May 10, 2017, 10:13:47 am »

A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6074 on: May 10, 2017, 10:16:36 am »

"James Comey has been fired."

*cheers*

"No, you're not meant to cheer, you...you Trump supporters!"

I don't want to pick on Colbert, but this is a little bit silly.

He's a comedian, he's supposed to be silly. Though I get what you're getting at, that Trump supporters wouldn't neccesarily unilaterally cheer Comeys firing.
Pages: 1 ... 403 404 [405] 406 407 ... 3563