Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 402 403 [404] 405 406 ... 3563

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4151154 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Trump fires FBI Dir. Comey, sheneinighans abound
« Reply #6045 on: May 09, 2017, 08:17:41 pm »

I wonder what the reaction inside the FBI is like. Supposedly they were blindsided by the move, with members calling reporters to ask whether it was true. If it turns against his removal, his successor will be under a lot of pressure internally, and if that successor is a Trump loyalist, he may not be able to lead the agency - or even control it. What effect will this have on the investigations?
That's what I'm wondering.  The FBI seems to have a lot of discipline in regards to leaks, to the point where I'd suspect any leak of being on purpose.  The media doesn't seem to have picked up much interesting about the opinions of the FBI agent on the street.  Its all about Comey.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Rusty Shackleford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6046 on: May 09, 2017, 08:19:53 pm »

The FBI is a deeply entrenched bureaucracy if there ever was one. Probably nothing would change no matter who is director, the underlings would quote lines from regulatory books and bits from legal precedent and they'd continue on their business and quietly petition to have their boss fired again.

The FBI i the penultimate in bureaucratic agencies, they basically created the trope, I don't think anything anyone can do can really penetrate the organization.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6047 on: May 09, 2017, 08:22:37 pm »

The FBI also has legal (and practical) reasons to not leak because leaking could compromise whatever investigation they are doing.

edit: And seemingly the WH did not expect any serious fallout from this. *facepalm* How fucking naive is that?.......
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 08:34:27 pm by smjjames »

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #6048 on: May 09, 2017, 08:39:34 pm »

I wonder how long it will take the new guy to find some evidence of Obama bugging Trump during the election?

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I sense the firing is going to be one of those "everyone agrees for entirely different reasons" moments. Perhaps diametrically opposed reasons, in fact.

(Meanwhile, Wikipedia has already been updated with the information, before half of the news-sites. Madness.)

The problem I have is that Trump typically only hires sycophants... so I WONDER what will happen to that FBI investigation.

Mattis and McMaster are both pretty far away from any definition of sycophant.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6050 on: May 09, 2017, 08:45:01 pm »

I sense the firing is going to be one of those "everyone agrees for entirely different reasons" moments. Perhaps diametrically opposed reasons, in fact.

(Meanwhile, Wikipedia has already been updated with the information, before half of the news-sites. Madness.)

The problem I have is that Trump typically only hires sycophants... so I WONDER what will happen to that FBI investigation.

Mattis and McMaster are both pretty far away from any definition of sycophant.

Yes, but he has a tendency to, and it's already known that he has been screening for loyalists, or at least those that haven't said bad things about him.

While it's true that Presidents tend to bring in those who at least share their views, Trump has been blatantly targeting for loyalty.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #6051 on: May 09, 2017, 08:57:23 pm »

I wonder how long it will take the new guy to find some evidence of Obama bugging Trump during the election?
Pick a length of time.  Longer than that time.

As much as Republicans have looked for their ___gate when it comes to Obama, he's no Nixon.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Rusty Shackleford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6052 on: May 09, 2017, 09:03:25 pm »

Yeah. Obama is spotless and if Trump did get bugged itcprobably wasn't Obama's idea.

Honestly does anyone think he really cared?  He would be in no position to do anything anyways even if Trump was on tape pledging vasselhood to grey aliens.

He would be arrested for breaking the law especially since he is just a regular asshole now .

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Trump fires FBI Dir. Comey, shenanigans abound
« Reply #6053 on: May 09, 2017, 09:06:35 pm »

Ex-presidents aren't regular assholes, and good luck charging a president for something they did in office.

The Comey thing was a hilarious surprise, though I'm disappointed he didn't do it with a "You're fired" tweet.
You are right that nothing is that simple, but generally the government wants revenue spent where it came from. Some services benefit everyone, police, courts, national defense so everyone gets taxed for that.

Out of curiosity do you count the health system as 1 of those that benefits everyone? Besides anything else there's the economic cost of sick leave there. A bunch of other stuff.

Yeah, but some people are decidedly less healthy than others. Its much more difficult to rationalize taxes going to healthcare than something like social security or unemployment even other minor welfare because it relieves the financial burden of a company from needing to offer retirement plans or severance packages to folks they lay off. Going from a health insurance model, where you get charged dependin on how healthy you are, to single payer where an individual who may not ever need medical care is paying a portion of his income to individuals that need expensive healthcare all the time.
Uh... "the financial burden of a company from needing to offer retirement plans or severance packages to folks they lay off" fills my brain with wat before getting to the idea that single payer would be sick people pulling money out of your pocket, where did you hear this stuff?

Then you toss in "decidedly less healthy" as though it is a choice to get sick or injured. Bearing in mind that yes, Americans are fatass smoking drunks, trying to use those sorts of choices to rationalize opposition to universal healthcare is monstrous.

I grew up watching that old monster Reagan spew his hateful bullshit on tv, and I was there to witness how utterly detached from reality it was. I remember getting hit by a car and fighting with the EMT because I didn't want to make my parents have to pay for it as a little kid, unrelated but even now I've got fucked up wisdom teeth that I need fixed. I'm fat compared to my teenage years, but I was pushing way below 5% body fat then, I don't drink, don't smoke, and my only reason for having health issues is financial, so you'll have to pardon me when I say anyone arguing against universal healthcare is a dick, because that's as polite as I can get. These poor sick people aren't stealing shit from your pockets, but supporting fuckbags like the GOP amounts to stealing shit from poor sick people to redistribute it to those who abso-fucking-lutely don't need any help.

I want to strangle the fucker who popularized the idea that the average american is "just one break from striking it rich" because this "temporarily broke rich person" mentality is fucked.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6054 on: May 09, 2017, 09:08:23 pm »

The worst that I've heard is just incidential recording among Trumps staff. That is, they (whoever 'they' are) were monitoring someone else and Trump's staff talked to that person. Which absolutely does not mean that Trump Tower was directly tapped.

He has the ability to produce proof, yet he doesn't.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 09:10:52 pm by smjjames »

Rusty Shackleford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Trump fires FBI Dir. Comey, shenanigans abound
« Reply #6055 on: May 09, 2017, 09:42:05 pm »

Ex-presidents aren't regular assholes, and good luck charging a president for something they did in office.

The Comey thing was a hilarious surprise, though I'm disappointed he didn't do it with a "You're fired" tweet.
You are right that nothing is that simple, but generally the government wants revenue spent where it came from. Some services benefit everyone, police, courts, national defense so everyone gets taxed for that.

Out of curiosity do you count the health system as 1 of those that benefits everyone? Besides anything else there's the economic cost of sick leave there. A bunch of other stuff.

Yeah, but some people are decidedly less healthy than others. Its much more difficult to rationalize taxes going to healthcare than something like social security or unemployment even other minor welfare because it relieves the financial burden of a company from needing to offer retirement plans or severance packages to folks they lay off. Going from a health insurance model, where you get charged dependin on how healthy you are, to single payer where an individual who may not ever need medical care is paying a portion of his income to individuals that need expensive healthcare all the time.
Uh... "the financial burden of a company from needing to offer retirement plans or severance packages to folks they lay off" fills my brain with wat before getting to the idea that single payer would be sick people pulling money out of your pocket, where did you hear this stuff?

Then you toss in "decidedly less healthy" as though it is a choice to get sick or injured. Bearing in mind that yes, Americans are fatass smoking drunks, trying to use those sorts of choices to rationalize opposition to universal healthcare is monstrous.

I grew up watching that old monster Reagan spew his hateful bullshit on tv, and I was there to witness how utterly detached from reality it was. I remember getting hit by a car and fighting with the EMT because I didn't want to make my parents have to pay for it as a little kid, unrelated but even now I've got fucked up wisdom teeth that I need fixed. I'm fat compared to my teenage years, but I was pushing way below 5% body fat then, I don't drink, don't smoke, and my only reason for having health issues is financial, so you'll have to pardon me when I say anyone arguing against universal healthcare is a dick, because that's as polite as I can get. These poor sick people aren't stealing shit from your pockets, but supporting fuckbags like the GOP amounts to stealing shit from poor sick people to redistribute it to those who abso-fucking-lutely don't need any help.

I want to strangle the fucker who popularized the idea that the average american is "just one break from striking it rich" because this "temporarily broke rich person" mentality is fucked.

Man, I hate to sound totally contrarian, but I grew up poor. I got sick exactly 3 times since I was born until I was 30, each time a bad fever. The first time I ever was in a hospital was when I was in school for EMT training. I could'nt find a job exactly after graduation so I volunteered at that hospital I trained at. Never seen the inside of one before that.

Yeah, sorry from my experience I've seen people with multiple kidney transplants, since they never stopped using hard drugs, drinking like a gallon of hard liquor a day and eating nothing but garbage. And I'd pick them up to take them to the hospital after they ruined their last donated organ. Needing another kidney. Medicare patient of course. That's an unusual case that stuck with me. Most people in the ER needed to be there, some really, honestly didn't, though. Some I started to question why some patients were in the ER, like, always. They self-destructed and thought it was okay to do that. THey knew the names of everyone in the ER and naturally, never paid for anything.

Fun fact: Healthcare is free for patients in the USA, A healtcare provider is obligated to treat a patient regardless of ability to pay, the worse they can do is ruin your credit.

The whole system is pretty fucked, for patient and provider alike. Sorry for your experiences, I can sympathize, but sorry, the GOP didn't create this system nor did the Dems. It's totally natural.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6056 on: May 09, 2017, 10:09:22 pm »

Honestly does anyone think he really cared?  He would be in no position to do anything anyways even if Trump was on tape pledging vasselhood to grey aliens.

The United States Constitutional Guard facility commonly known as Area 51 is a highly classified remote detachment of Edwards Air Force Base, within the Nevada Alienation Zone. According to the USCG, the correct name for the facility is the American Extraterrestrial Penitentiary Facility, though even within the government this is rarely adhered to.[1] Other names used for the facility include Tyrant's Grave[2], the Crystalworks[3], and Stellar One.[4] The special use airspace around the field is referred to as Restricted Area Zero Other (R-0000O).[5]

The base's current primary purpose is the containment of the posthuman species who have variously called themselves tlamacazqui[6], yee naaldlooshii[7], the Kingsmen[8], the Golden Center[9], the greys[10], and the star children[11] who previously held absolute dominion over the North American continent by way of self-directed solar ordination extending back into prehistory.[12][13][14] The intense security methods of the base have made it the frequent subject of conspiracy theories.[15] It is the only remaining primary source for the American Liberation Conflicts, though access to the posthumans is limited due to their lingering and inherent mental powers.[citation needed] While the base has no known escapees and the final unaccounted for posthuman group was captured in 1967 operating under the guise of the Consciousness Renewal,[16] speculation on the conditions of the inmates and their potential misuse by the American government is a popular topic in fiction. In July 2017, the FBI publicly acknowledged the existence of the base for the first time, and issued the first modern Mirror Notice to the American people. The current notice is at warning level, indicating a possible but unconfirmed contamination of the American government by one or more posthumans.[17][18][19][20][who?]

Area 51 is located in the southern portion of Nevada in the western United States, varying between 15 and 201 miles north-northwest of Las Vegas on times of varying distortion.[21] Situated at its center, on the southern shore of Groom Lake, is a large military airfield. The presence of this airfield has lead to the direction of a great many conspiracy theories towards the Air Force, suggesting they are engaging in black research and development projects under the guise of posthuman containment.[22][neutrality disputed]

Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #6057 on: May 09, 2017, 10:16:37 pm »

Pick a length of time.  Longer than that time.

As much as Republicans have looked for their ___gate when it comes to Obama, he's no Nixon.

Apparently I was being too subtle, so allow me to speak plainly.
Trump is now going to hire some tool who will falsify evidence to support the outlandish claims that Trump drunkenly tweets at 3 AM.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6058 on: May 09, 2017, 10:21:25 pm »

Very unlikely. The FBI has spent all the years since Hoover building up an internal tradition of staying the fuck out of politics -that is why Comey got in so much trouble with everyone in the first place. Any Director that tried to pull Hoover-like shenanigans of that sort would be exposed in an extremely short time, and getting caught doing that would be ever-having-a-job-again suicide.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Rusty Shackleford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6059 on: May 09, 2017, 10:25:49 pm »

The United States Constitutional Guard facility commonly known as Area 51 is a highly classified remote detachment of Edwards Air Force Base, within the Nevada Alienation Zone. According to the USCG, the correct name for the facility is the American Extraterrestrial Penitentiary Facility, though even within the government this is rarely adhered to.[1] Other names used for the facility include Tyrant's Grave[2], the Crystalworks[3], and Stellar One.[4] The special use airspace around the field is referred to as Restricted Area Zero Other (R-0000O).[5]

The base's current primary purpose is the containment of the posthuman species who have variously called themselves tlamacazqui[6], yee naaldlooshii[7], the Kingsmen[8], the Golden Center[9], the greys[10], and the star children[11] who previously held absolute dominion over the North American continent by way of self-directed solar ordination extending back into prehistory.[12][13][14] The intense security methods of the base have made it the frequent subject of conspiracy theories.[15] It is the only remaining primary source for the American Liberation Conflicts, though access to the posthumans is limited due to their lingering and inherent mental powers.[citation needed] While the base has no known escapees and the final unaccounted for posthuman group was captured in 1967 operating under the guise of the Consciousness Renewal,[16] speculation on the conditions of the inmates and their potential misuse by the American government is a popular topic in fiction. In July 2017, the FBI publicly acknowledged the existence of the base for the first time, and issued the first modern Mirror Notice to the American people. The current notice is at warning level, indicating a possible but unconfirmed contamination of the American government by one or more posthumans.[17][18][19][20][who?]

Area 51 is located in the southern portion of Nevada in the western United States, varying between 15 and 201 miles north-northwest of Las Vegas on times of varying distortion.[21] Situated at its center, on the southern shore of Groom Lake, is a large military airfield. The presence of this airfield has lead to the direction of a great many conspiracy theories towards the Air Force, suggesting they are engaging in black research and development projects under the guise of posthuman containment.[22][neutrality disputed]

Man, it really makes you think! Am I right? Aliens, dude!
Pages: 1 ... 402 403 [404] 405 406 ... 3563