Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 345 346 [347] 348 349 ... 3563

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4154674 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You mean when it was under Mongol rule?

Well... that alone is a complicated history.

You know, France was once part of Germany. True fact.

Except the China / Korea link is even more tenuous than that, because rather than being conquered by China, both were conquered by the same people. So a better example would be to say that England was once part of Gaul.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 01:46:33 am by Reelya »

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile

The mongol empire once spanned Asia. Once, all continents were the same continent, and thus were once one with Asia.

Thus, everyone is Mongolian. Alternative Fact.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

We're also all mostly Vikings. Vikings conquered Norman France, they then conquered England, those then went on to conquer North America, Australia, South Africa, India etc. Viking Rus (Varangians ) conquered Kiev, founded Russia, conquered Siberia. Basically the Cold War was a civil war between two highly advanced viking cultures.

And the big modern geopolitical schisms are largely along the Viking World / Mongol World split.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 02:00:59 am by Reelya »

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Best way I heard it put is:  Saying Korea was once part of china is like saying southern england was once part of italy.

Best way to put it IMHO.

And one which you're blatantly unqualified to talk about, given that you've fallen for the CCP propaganda of 5000 years of Unbroken Glorious Chinese History and the State of China. So please don't bullshit about history you know nothing about and read on the Internet, thanks.

The People's Republic of China has about as much relation to the Han and Yuan Dynasty as the Islamic Republic of Iran has to the Seleucid Empire. 话说天下大势, 分久必合, 合久必分. That doesn't mean that China as a state was contiguous throughout history, if anything, it's more like the Western idea of translatio imperii, and about as useful in that context to modern politics and history as Italy invading Malta under the historical claims of the Roman Empire.

United Forenia Forever!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And one which you're blatantly unqualified to talk about, given that you've fallen for the CCP propaganda of 5000 years of Unbroken Glorious Chinese History and the State of China. So please don't bullshit about history you know nothing about and read on the Internet, thanks.

It is more that China is such a cluster crud of people taking over, being deposed, then coming back into power but unaffiliated with the original power yet still sort of... Often times with the original power bases staying SOMEWHAT intact.

Not to mention that even the term "Rule" is such a tenuous term when speaking about China's history.

And that isn't even getting into "What even is China?" at certain periods of time.

THAT is why I said "Under Mongol Rule alone is a complicated history"

That and Italy is extremely recent and is kind of rather disconnected from Rome other than being in the exact same location as it... as well as a few other treaties.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 02:45:35 am by Neonivek »

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile

well uh, lets just segue back into american politics right quick:

NK detains an american for whatever reason
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-39683518

I wonder how el presidente is going to respond
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

well uh, lets just segue back into american politics right quick:

NK detains an american for whatever reason
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-39683518

I wonder how el presidente is going to respond
He'll probably make Mexico pay for it
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Googling how common the surname Kim the first link was replying to a question "Why is the name Kim so popular in Korea?"

Uh, it's because of Kim Bassinger, she's really big over there.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 05:49:05 am by Reelya »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Except the China / Korea link is even more tenuous than that, because rather than being conquered by China, both were conquered by the same people. So a better example would be to say that England was once part of Gaul.
Except that England was never a part of Gaul and it was rather that the Gauls and Britons were both conquered by Romans

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That was my exact point.

Rome conquered Gaul, then from that foothold, conquered the more remote Britain.

Mongolia conquered China, then from that foothold, conquered the more remote Korea.

Gaul and Britain were distinct provinces of the empire, but so were mainland China and Korea. The Mongols recognized enough difference there to make a new province just for the small portion of the peninsula.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 06:03:40 am by Reelya »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

That was my exact point.
Rome conquered Gaul, then from that foothold, conquered the more remote Britain.
Mongolia conquered China, then from that foothold, conquered the more remote Korea.
Gaul and Britain were not the same province of the empire, but neither we parts of China and the main part of Korea.
But you're exactly wrong, England was never a part of Gaul - even when conquered from Gaul, it's administration was separate from Gaul. The whole geographic separation is certainly also a signifcant factor. A better example would be British India and the annexation of Burma, since Burma was conquered from India and annexed into British India via a conqueror foreign to both India and Burma. Then the administration of Burma was designated separately from India, just as the Yuan administered China and Korea differently where previously they administered them as a single unit. Upon both attaining independence, it would be folly to say Korea is China because it was once ruled as a single administrative unit by a foreign conqueror, any more than it would be to say Burma is India because it was once ruled a single administrative unit by a foreign conqueror. The England-Gaul-Rome comparison fails because Roman Britain was administered as Roman Britain and Roman Gaul was administered as Roman Gaul, no administrative unit of Roman Britain was at any point ever transferred or merged with any Gallic province

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile

England is still Denmark though

#daneluv4ever
Love, scriver~

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Korea was a separate province within the Mongol empire too. That's my point.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Administrative_divisions_of_the_Yuan_dynasty

Its administration was separate from Manchuria.

Zhengdong province (征東行省) with Kaesong of present-day Korea as its seat of government. Despite being listed as a regular province, it was still special in that it had the king of Goryeo, who married to the imperial Mongol princesses, as its head, and Goryeo survived under Yuan overlordship.

They had a Korean king who directly married into the Mongol dynasty. You can't get much more than "not part of China" than that.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 06:12:46 am by Reelya »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That was my exact point.
But you're exactly wrong, England was never a part of Gaul
...which was exactly the point.  Ah, ninja.

Actually came back here to post something about Kims. Though that site gets my surname connection wrong (suggests Shropshire, not Scotland, but I note that we pre-arrive the first noted Kim to the US), so it may not apply... ;)
Pages: 1 ... 345 346 [347] 348 349 ... 3563