Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 260 261 [262] 263 264 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4228833 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Arabic flight companies like Jordan Airways are contemplating sueing the US for billions of dollars in lost profits caused first by the travel ban, and now by the laptop ban.
The earlier travel bans for certain nationalities caused Jordan Airlines bookings to initially drop by 35%, although the number is recovering slowly. The new laptop ban will cost them even more passengers, with passengers choosing to take a detour through non-arabic countries from where it's not forbidden to board with a laptop. (Which shows how ridiculous the laptop ban is. Someone with an explosive laptop can just take a detour over Europe and fly to the US from Paris with his laptop with no problems).

Exactly, what's stopping them from going through other routes. Also, laptops are still fine in the cargo hold for some reason.

Apparently the whole thing stems from some intel on some plot or other overseas.

I wonder if Jordanian Airlines and other Arabic airlines are using that bill which was implemplemented last year or the year before which allowed 9/11 families to sue the US, or maybe a different legal route.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

I'd be interested to see if Trump / his sons have stock interests in non-arabic airline companies.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

I'd be interested to see if Trump / his sons have stock interests in non-arabic airline companies.

I dunno, the fact that the UK followed with the laptop ban to me says that there is some kind of real intelligence behind it.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Doubt it, they're all about real estate and the last time Trump tried an airline, it was a total flop.

Meanwhile....

*sigh* The House Intel committee really needs to get their act together and have a joint bipartisan press conference because Schiff and Nunes are having separate press conferences again (Nunes did it in the normal place they're supposed to this time).

I just really would like them to rise above the partisan fighting and conduct it in a non-partisan way because it's painfully obvious that the investigation is split into two lines along party lines.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 10:33:33 am by smjjames »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

I'm fairly sure schiff would have liked that, too. Probably don't want to go blaming all groups involved when only one of them is actually doing what you're concerned about. Takes at least two to rise above, et al.

Though re: trump financial entanglements, noticed a claim floating around that part (most?) of the reason trump's been going hard for the AHCA is because the thing would be netting him a nice two million and change dollar tax credit. Anyone noticed confirmation of some sort on that? Being willing to push for killing healthcare for ~twenty four million citizens for a 2m check would be a hell of a thing. That's, what, putting a price tag of around a twelfth of a dollar per head on american lives and health? Always "nice" to have a politician do something that has an implied message saying I'm worth less than a dime to them :V
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 11:06:41 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile

A businessman helping out his own business

say it ain't so
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile

Arabic flight companies like Jordan Airways are contemplating sueing the US for billions of dollars in lost profits caused first by the travel ban, and now by the laptop ban.
The earlier travel bans for certain nationalities caused Jordan Airlines bookings to initially drop by 35%, although the number is recovering slowly. The new laptop ban will cost them even more passengers, with passengers choosing to take a detour through non-arabic countries from where it's not forbidden to board with a laptop. (Which shows how ridiculous the laptop ban is. Someone with an explosive laptop can just take a detour over Europe and fly to the US from Paris with his laptop with no problems).

Inb4 Dubai Airport takes the National Geographic / Discovery Channel crews hostage until reimbursements are paid.

Companies suing countries over lost profits is and always will be a load of shit. Fuck them.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

POTUS don't get to be a businessman anymore :P

also that's not a businessman helping his business, that's a politician fucking everyone to enrich his personal coffers

small difference :V
Ask not!
Ask!

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile

POTUS don't get to be a businessman anymore :P

Hasn't stopped old orange man all that much.

Besides, people voted for him because he wasn't a politician.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Yeah, know it hasn't. Conflict of interest has been a mostly low-key backdrop to things since...well, the campaign started, and somewhat moreso since the actual presidency went active and trump became as squirrelly as ever regarding divesting connection to his businesses.

And they did, but it was contingent on the whole using that experience to benefit the american public thing, from what I recall. Well aware that it was massively goddamn stupid for people to believe that line of bullshit, but y'might as well hold folks to it.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 11:48:16 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile

Please.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

No, no, no chanting. Just a staid and steady march into an actual trial and steadfast prosecution of actual crimes. Nice peaceable reopening of cases and lawsuits that went quiet upon election, with a sprinkling of whatever else pops up in the meantime.
Ask not!
Ask!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com

Mnuchin is a quisling to our coming robot overlords.

Why hasn't anyone hire me to write headlines yet?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 01:19:43 pm by PTTG?? »
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 260 261 [262] 263 264 ... 3567