Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 259 260 [261] 262 263 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4228607 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

I don't think Trump genuinely has any interest in these proceedings at all, really.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/03/gop-senators-new-bill-would-let-isps-sell-your-web-browsing-data/

Remember that? It passed the Senate today. People are sometimes confused and don't know if their data is private? Better make sure it never is!

If you're in the states and not already taking measures to block monitoring of your traffic, it's time to start, because there's no way in hell this fails to make it through the House, and an even smaller change of the Trumpet vetoing it.
I saw the story but was under the impression the House isn't as likely to pass it.
You'd need, what, 23 Republican reps to flip for them to not have a simple majority? Unless someone tries to attach a rider that a sizable portion of the party hates I don't see much hope of that happening. What's that saying again, Democrats drink buckets of bleach, Republicans goosestep in lockstep?  ::)

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/03/gop-senators-new-bill-would-let-isps-sell-your-web-browsing-data/

Remember that? It passed the Senate today. People are sometimes confused and don't know if their data is private? Better make sure it never is!

If you're in the states and not already taking measures to block monitoring of your traffic, it's time to start, because there's no way in hell this fails to make it through the House, and an even smaller change of the Trumpet vetoing it.
I saw the story but was under the impression the House isn't as likely to pass it.

I mean a bill that lets people buy Donald Trump's internet history?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

@Flying Dice: Okay....

Trump has now given an ultimatium: No more negotiations, no more discussions, vote on it now (or Friday rather), if it fails, we're leaving Obamacare as is and moving on from healthcare. Basically it's 'This is it, the make or break point of whether we continue on the healthcare stuff'. I guess it's some of his 'Art of the Deal' in action here.
Wait...We can get them to do that?!

The 'vote now or leave it as is' ultimatium or the 'moving on from healthcare stuff'? Likely won't stop smaller attempts as riders on other stuff, but could very well be the last major attempt at healthcare reform for this year, or at least a while, since the President more or less guides the legislative schedule (other than the normal and routine stuff they have to do every year). And apparently Trump is giving an ultimatium saying 'if we can't get this through, then we're moving on to other things on my to-do list'.

I can understand Trump not wanting to get bogged down for over a year on it, especially if the Republicans are unable to get the votes on their own thing. Though really, something this major normally does take a long time. It makes sense that Trump doesn't want to waste political capital on something that's going to go nowhere, especially since he doesn't seem to have a serious desire to pursue it like Obama did.

You'd need, what, 23 Republican reps to flip for them to not have a simple majority? Unless someone tries to attach a rider that a sizable portion of the party hates I don't see much hope of that happening. What's that saying again, Democrats drink buckets of bleach, Republicans goosestep in lockstep?  ::)

Never heard of the 'Democrats drink buckets of bleach' part of that.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile

I mean a bill that lets people buy Donald Trump's internet history?
It's not even remotely close to that in any interpretation whatsoever. What happened today prevents the FCC from protecting user privacy (actually it was a proposal to use new stronger FCC privacy protections that the Senate voted down) and I was under the impression that the House was more a fan of privacy protection.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile

So who wants to give me odds that they think that somehow, someway, a republican congress and senate, reigned over by Donald Trump, is going to keep Obamacare. Because that's now a possibility we have to live with. Presumably, the 60+ repeal attempts were for show.  :P
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

Obamacare is the new abortion, and you can quote me on that. They can't kill Obamacare. What would they do without it? What the fuck do they even have to talk about at their fundraiser dinners if Obamacare is gone?

That's real horror, right there. To arrive at your CPAC dinner and realize you have nothing to discuss with your ancient rich reactionary donors.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Pretty good chance. One article says that they have 30 or 40 'no's in the House and they can only afford 21 defections. Even if it does pass the House by some slim margin, it's sounding DOA in the Senate, where they have an even slimmer margin.

It's pretty ironic that after all that effort and 60+ attempts at repeal and promising to reverse it and all the screaming, that the Republicans end up sticking with it. It'll definetly be a long while before they attempt to tackle it in a large way like what they're trying to do now.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

It was their healthcare plan to begin with anyways.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile

Basically, yeah, Romneycare > Obamacare > Zombie-Aborted-Fetus-Trumpcare.

They caught the bumper and discovered it's too hard to bite through, and in fact that chewing on metal hurts... plus it's kinda dragging them down the road still.

Usually they have the Democrats there to save them from doing something too stupid like succeeding at their bad ideas they made bad to fuck over the Democrats, but as they panic and look around for help all they can see are rows of laughing Democrats while the Republicans against it all studiously try to pay attention to that nice tree over there.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile

It was their healthcare plan to begin with anyways.
That's why it's so clever! If it was single-payer, we wouldn't have any conservative opposition at all to repeal. But because it's already the free-market solution, the only more right-wing solution they have requires gutting everything, and that's just too far for moderates in districts which Clinton won. They can't lose more than 22 votes, Freedom Caucus has around 30, and there are more than a dozen moderate Republicans going against it; not to mention that there's a lot of 'maybe' and 'leaning' floating about. If they go right to appease the Freedom Caucus, they'll just lose further moderates. But even if they had every moderate, they couldn't pass it without the Freedom Caucus. And even if it passes by armtwisting conservatives, it's DOA in the Senate. Worse yet, there's a chance that even if it gets to the Senate, it'll just be instantly crushed by the Senate Parliamentarian due to running afoul of the rules that allow them to not need 60 votes in the Senate (which, obviously, kills the bill); but the problem is the offending language in question is the language defunding abortions and such. Remove that to appease the Parliamentarian, and you lose literally the last major outside group supporting the bill (anti-abortion groups), and the bill is still dead in the water (fortunately for Republicans, the Parliamentarian won't rule unless the bill actually reaches the Senate, which is increasingly unlikely).

It's a perfect storm. Of course, for tomorrow the real test will be the Up/Down vote. There is a chance that members will break for the bill, just based on Trump's hardball tactics (this will be a significant test to see if the Art of the Deal applies to Congress). If it passes, the Freedom Caucus will be hugely diminished. If it fails, they will be immensely strengthened, but at the cost of the ire of Trump (as well as cracking the Republican coalition like an egg).

EDIT: The CBO has published a new estimate of the bill, plus the various amendments added to appease conservatives. (That's a link to the actual CBO report) Their conclusion covers no new people, but has cut the deficit savings from $337 billion to $151 billion.
Quote from: CBO
On March, 13, 2017, CBO and JCT estimated that enacting the reconciliation recommendations of the House Committee on Ways and Means and the House Committee on Energy and Commerce (which were combined into H.R. 1628) would yield a net reduction in federal deficits of $337 billion over the 2017-2026 period. CBO estimates that enacting H.R. 1628, with the proposed amendments, would save $186 billion less over that period.
Compared with the previous version of the legislation, H.R. 1628, with the proposed amendments, would have similar effects on health insurance coverage: Estimates differ by no more than half a million people in any category in any year over the next decade. (Some differences may appear larger because of rounding.) For example, the decline in Medicaid coverage after 2020 would be smaller than in the previous estimate, mainly because of states’ responses to the faster growth in the per capita allotments for aged, blind, and disabled enrollees—but other changes in Medicaid would offset some of those effects.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 11:55:49 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

I love how Trump has openly declared war on the Republican party by blackmailing them with keeping Obamacare.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I love how Trump has openly declared war on the Republican party by blackmailing them with keeping Obamacare.

How many open declarations of war between Trump and the Republicans are we at now?
Even the avatars expire eventually.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

Nearly as many times as Kim Jong-un has threatened to nuke the US.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

Arabic flight companies like Jordan Airways are contemplating sueing the US for billions of dollars in lost profits caused first by the travel ban, and now by the laptop ban.
The earlier travel bans for certain nationalities caused Jordan Airlines bookings to initially drop by 35%, although the number is recovering slowly. The new laptop ban will cost them even more passengers, with passengers choosing to take a detour through non-arabic countries from where it's not forbidden to board with a laptop. (Which shows how ridiculous the laptop ban is. Someone with an explosive laptop can just take a detour over Europe and fly to the US from Paris with his laptop with no problems).

Inb4 Dubai Airport takes the National Geographic / Discovery Channel crews hostage until reimbursements are paid.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 10:13:16 am by martinuzz »

Pages: 1 ... 259 260 [261] 262 263 ... 3567