Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 251 252 [253] 254 255 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4230119 times)

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Russia scandal evolution edition
« Reply #3780 on: March 22, 2017, 09:15:05 am »

Apparently Trump has gone back on his promise to build Keystone XL pipeline with American steel only. There is also Russian steel there now. Traitor!
Dutch ING bank withdrew it's involvement in the project a few days ago. The Dakota project has a total outstanding loan of 2.5 billion dollars with 17 banks. They had an outstanding loan with ING for 120 million dollars. The ING sold the loan to an 'unnamed party that encourages a respectful dialogue with the Sioux and other involved parties'. They're the second Dutch bank that withdraws from the project in response to public pressure. ABN AMRO already withdrew from it a few months ago.

Why is that pipeline such an issue anyway.

Obama even said this:

"for years, the Keystone pipeline has occupied what I, frankly, consider an overinflated role in our political discourse. It became a symbol too often used as a campaign cudgel by both parties rather than a serious policy matter. And all of this obscured the fact that this pipeline would neither be a silver bullet for the economy, as was promised by some, nor the express lane to climate disaster proclaimed by others."
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3781 on: March 22, 2017, 10:15:06 am »

Apparently Trump has gone back on his promise to build Keystone XL pipeline with American steel only. There is also Russian steel there now. Traitor!
Dutch ING bank withdrew it's involvement in the project a few days ago. The Dakota project has a total outstanding loan of 2.5 billion dollars with 17 banks. They had an outstanding loan with ING for 120 million dollars. The ING sold the loan to an 'unnamed party that encourages a respectful dialogue with the Sioux and other involved parties'. They're the second Dutch bank that withdraws from the project in response to public pressure. ABN AMRO already withdrew from it a few months ago.

Why is that pipeline such an issue anyway.

Obama even said this:

"for years, the Keystone pipeline has occupied what I, frankly, consider an overinflated role in our political discourse. It became a symbol too often used as a campaign cudgel by both parties rather than a serious policy matter. And all of this obscured the fact that this pipeline would neither be a silver bullet for the economy, as was promised by some, nor the express lane to climate disaster proclaimed by others."

Antioch, not sure if you're from the US, but if not, it'd be understandable to be confused.

Aside from the whole issue of tribal sovereignity at Standing Rock, (is the Dakota part a different thing from the Keystone pipeline or is that a part of it? Not sure.), it's become a partisan flashpoint which centers around oil and global warming. There are many factors into it, some of it ecological, some of it jobs, some of it economical. Plus it's such a massive project with big pros and cons that it's become the blaring airhorn megaphone insect-attracting light to the extremes on both sides.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 10:17:16 am by smjjames »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3782 on: March 22, 2017, 10:16:38 am »

http://www.news.com.au/finance/work/leaders/extrump-aide-paul-manafort-secretly-worked-for-russian-billionaire-to-help-vladimir-putin/news-story/8775cf540794078718bc6f52236a90f4
PRESIDENT Donald Trump’s former campaign chairman secretly worked for a Russian billionaire to advance the interests of Russian President Vladimir Putin, a bombshell report reveals. Paul Manafort proposed in a confidential strategy plan as early as June 2005 that he would influence politics, business dealings and news coverage inside the United States, Europe and the former Soviet republics to benefit the Putin government.
His previously undisclosed work comes despite denials from the Trump campaign and White House of links to the Russian government.
According to The Associated Press, Mr Manafort pitched the plans to Russian aluminium magnate Oleg Deripaska, a close Putin ally with whom Manafort eventually signed a $US10 million ($13 million) annual contract, beginning in 2006.
Mr Manafort and Mr Deripaska maintained a business relationship until at least 2009, according to one person familiar with the work.
“We are now of the belief that this model can greatly benefit the Putin government if employed at the correct levels with the appropriate commitment to success,” Mr Manafort wrote in the 2005 memo to Mr Deripaska.
The effort, Mr Manafort wrote, “will be offering a great service that can refocus, both internally and externally, the policies of the Putin government.”

He earned at least $40 million from this it would seem, possibly more if things continued after 2009.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 10:19:13 am by Reelya »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3783 on: March 22, 2017, 10:19:24 am »

http://www.news.com.au/finance/work/leaders/extrump-aide-paul-manafort-secretly-worked-for-russian-billionaire-to-help-vladimir-putin/news-story/8775cf540794078718bc6f52236a90f4

Evidence has surfaced of Manafort being secretly paid a $US 10 million a year contract by Oleg Deripaska, a Russian billionaire with close ties to Putin, to promote Russia's political interests in Europe and the USA. Admittedly, the last payment that they have documents for is 2009, but lack of available documents doesn't necessarily imply the connection ended.

We already know he worked for Yanukovich, the traitor of a Ukranian ex-PM. So, not entirely surprising that he did other work for pro-putin people.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #3784 on: March 22, 2017, 10:33:43 am »

/r/asktrumpsupporters is terrifying.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3785 on: March 22, 2017, 11:00:16 am »

I've once visited r/The_Donald, right after the election day. I've got a migraine after less than two minutes of looking at the absolute WTF, closed the tab and never returned.
._.

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3786 on: March 22, 2017, 11:27:34 am »

I actually browsed the political subs for a few days after election night pretty regularly. I voted for Clinton, but... The reaction of people when Trump won was just hilarious. People were acting like it was the end times. Seriously, my amusement at their overreactions almost made my disappointment at Trump's victory worth the price of admission.
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3787 on: March 22, 2017, 11:29:24 am »

You haven't paid the price of admission yet.

The bill will arrive in four years.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3788 on: March 22, 2017, 11:36:40 am »

I've once visited r/The_Donald, right after the election day. I've got a migraine after less than two minutes of looking at the absolute WTF, closed the tab and never returned.

It's only gotten worse. Imagine what t_d is like now that the more reluctant members have been driven away. It's the same problem at ask_trump_supporters; just recently I saw someone with the name highfuckingenergy say that they had changed their mind and no longer support trump. This has been happening constantly. The only people left are those that approve of the majority of Trump's policies.

I.E., people who agree with the wall, the immigrant crime list, etc.

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3789 on: March 22, 2017, 11:42:52 am »

Funny thing, back before election day I took a test thingy to see which political figures I align most with (isidewith.com). Mostly sided with Bernie Sanders, with Clinton in second place. But for immigration stuff, I sided most with Trump.
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3790 on: March 22, 2017, 12:15:43 pm »

Oh hey, on the keystone pipeline, Trump is a huge hypocrite. A few temporary construction jobs go into building the pipe, and then it spends the rest of its lifespan pumping American energy jobs north of the border. Great victory for the American worker.

If we were making solar panels, though, we'd be exporting high-value-added materials around the globe and employing people in a growing industry.

Going back to the immigration thing, did you have a cogent reason to be xenophobic? Any evidence at all?

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3791 on: March 22, 2017, 12:21:22 pm »

Who says I'm xenophobic? That's quite a leap you're making there.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3792 on: March 22, 2017, 12:24:18 pm »

Oh don't start it you two.

Don't make me get the corn.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3793 on: March 22, 2017, 12:41:35 pm »

Guys, keep discussion of foreigners and their issues somewhere else. It's a bigly 24 hours to prepare for. And that's not an immigration thing, it's all about Obamacare today. Keep it there.

Well I've been in an emergency room for 24 hours, so I do not claim to know whether this has been discussed, but are any of you familiar with the Republicare section on New York State? There was a last-minute change, applying only to New York State, which spares counties with fewer than five million residents the need to pay. Since this only applies to New York, it's essentially aimed at bringing in the reluctant upstate republicans, but the consequence is it shifts costs to the state... and to New York City, which still has to pay its own costs in addition to the added burden on the state. Either the state will cut healthcare for upstate counties (which cuts federal funding) or the state picks up the tab (which is a way of shifting the cost to the City) Sporting nicknames like "Buffalo Bribe", and "Tammany Haul", it's enraged people here, both in the city and Albany. The Daily News (which is, incidentally, the only newspaper they let me read in the emergency room) ran a Frontpage picture of Donald Trump as Dr. Evil in criticizing the amendment.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3794 on: March 22, 2017, 12:45:59 pm »

You're uh, awfully spry for having been in an ER for 24 hours... whichever end of it you were involved in, so I assume everything's ok which is good unless it isn't which is bad, because we're gonna be fuuuuuucked on healthcare if any of this shit goes through.
Pages: 1 ... 251 252 [253] 254 255 ... 3567