Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 216 217 [218] 219 220 ... 3568

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4243160 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Russia scandal evolution edition
« Reply #3255 on: March 08, 2017, 02:14:15 am »

One thing that makes me sad that I am finding out more and more is just one line from the Simpsons

"I guess people like us can't afford Justice"

And... goodness have I found out how frequently this is true.

Soo many cases where if it went to court someone would flat out win... But because they cannot actually afford the court case, they are simply bullied out of it... and most of the time that is entirely intentional.

The Happy Birthday Song's status as under copyright was extremely dubious for just about its entire existence... Yet the only reason it stayed and royalties were paid is because actually going to court with be a lot more costly in terms of money and time.

---

Also one thing I am happy that I THINK is happening in the USA...

Is that the USA were sort of obsessed with contracts in that, whatever is written in that contract, however that contract was signed (outside direct duress... well sort of... but when you could force people to sign is WAAAY too old to count)...

But the USA seeeeems to continuously adjusting their contract laws in order to patch things and are actually becoming more and more under the line of thinking that perhaps contracts should be fair onto themselves. That certain stipulations under contracts should flat out not be allowed.

But I might be completely wrong in this respect.

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3256 on: March 08, 2017, 02:47:02 am »

Also, bonus "Trump met Kislyak last year as a candidate" story: https://thinkprogress.org/trump-personally-met-with-russian-ambassador-during-campaign-cc59ae305032#.s0xs4j5wg

Busy man that ambassador. Meets with everyone. I should double check that I've never met him. I mean it's the kind of thing you'd think you'd remember but apparently not. Busy guy but very forget-able.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3257 on: March 08, 2017, 02:59:54 am »

Also, bonus "Trump met Kislyak last year as a candidate" story: https://thinkprogress.org/trump-personally-met-with-russian-ambassador-during-campaign-cc59ae305032#.s0xs4j5wg

Busy man that ambassador. Meets with everyone. I should double check that I've never met him. I mean it's the kind of thing you'd think you'd remember but apparently not. Busy guy but very forget-able.
There were three other ambassadors, though, and it's easy to forget because they didn't really talk to each other during that event, other than the usual platitudes. Hell, if Trump didn't say that "he had no contacts with Russian officials", he wouldn't have any big problems with it - it's not illegal to meet ambassadors of foreign nations, after all (even though it should totally be a punishable offence for everyone not authorized and pre-screened by intelligence agencies)
._.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3258 on: March 08, 2017, 03:03:39 am »

Can I add how pissed I am that Russia is the USA's enemy again... I thought we put it behind us.

THEN AGAIN... the current leader of Russia is a super douche... Soo I guess he is an enemy of a lot of people... such as me.

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3259 on: March 08, 2017, 03:08:08 am »

What are the rules here about a candidate discussing the us-russian relationship? Because it seems to me like the kind of thing you would discuss if meeting with an ambassador. I mean you could talk about soccer instead but otherwise?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3260 on: March 08, 2017, 03:12:51 am »

What are the rules here about a candidate discussing the us-russian relationship? Because it seems to me like the kind of thing you would discuss if meeting with an ambassador. I mean you could talk about soccer instead but otherwise?

I'd say it counts for here if only because... who the heck wants to make a new thread about specifically that...

THAT and this isn't the Donald Trump thread.

neo1096

• Bay Watcher
  • It watches and waits...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3261 on: March 08, 2017, 03:19:23 am »

This is the biggest issue, legally, in terms of any discussions the candidate may have had with Russia while still a candidate.
What again? Iron scepter - Lovehealing? Oh, I almost shed a tear... Put it in your ass, I'm talking about importans artistic defences!!! You see, yaks and bridge... Stop polishing that scepter! You're disgusting me!"

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3262 on: March 08, 2017, 03:23:53 am »

This is the biggest issue, legally, in terms of any discussions the candidate may have had with Russia while still a candidate.
In other words, there's no real legal issue, given that Logan Act has literally never been enforced since its creation, despite many, many opportunities (the last one was when Republican Congress tried to undermine Obama's Iranian nuclear deal negotiations by sending them a letter).
._.

neo1096

• Bay Watcher
  • It watches and waits...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3263 on: March 08, 2017, 03:26:31 am »

Pretty much. The apparatus to punish is there, but the will never seems to be.
What again? Iron scepter - Lovehealing? Oh, I almost shed a tear... Put it in your ass, I'm talking about importans artistic defences!!! You see, yaks and bridge... Stop polishing that scepter! You're disgusting me!"

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3264 on: March 08, 2017, 03:26:35 am »

Quote from: neonivek
Can I add how pissed I am that Russia is the USA's enemy again... I thought we put it behind us.

Pro-tip:

Peaceful relations between nations and states is not the same as friendship.

Russia is not "an ally", but we are not "at war" with them (thank gawd). That means we are "at peace" with them.  This relationship does not preclude spying (duh), political wrangling (Russia's involvement with Syria and pals and the granting of asylum to Snowden, et al), and strained relations (How Russia feels about our "missile defense grid" we installed in the ME).

This is different than the cold war, where there was ardent animosity between the US and the former Soviet Union, we just weren't dropping bombs on each other because of MAD.

-----
RE getting cozy with foreign powers in politics:

This is a two edged sword.  If instead of a borderline animosity type relationship, we had borderline ally status, such elbow rubbing would be WELCOMED as good statecraft.  Double-standards abound in politics, which is why the Logan Act has never been invoked.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 03:32:28 am by wierd »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3265 on: March 08, 2017, 03:30:41 am »

Honestly...

I'd ALWAYS assume that every country is going to spy on every other country...

The only time a country wouldn't spy on another country is if they just don't care and have absolutely nothing to fear from them.

I FULLY expect that right now Canada is spying on the USA... our closest ally and trading partner.

I fully expect that the USA is spying on Canada... Their closest butt monkey.

Spying is required for countries to do business with one another.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3266 on: March 08, 2017, 03:39:55 am »

That's why I said "duh" to it.

The others though, are very poignant.  They are WHY this hulabaloo is so "scandalous."

The Russian govt considers the US's installation of an anti-missile system as provocative/hostile, because it upsets the status quo between Russia and the US, by presenting a weakening of Russia's offensive capabilities. Putin even said as such direct to our diplomats.

The fact that Russia and the US are engaged in a mutual propaganda fight is a good sign. When they drop the act, and stop using political tools, and pick up military ones, that is when it is going to be really bad.  That seems to be something Putie wants to avoid as well, given his rhetoric at that convention-- but both sides feel they are the biggest, baddest cock in the henhouse, and neither side is really willing to compromise its position of authority.  What is the cost of a national ego that won't back down? Nuclear war.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3267 on: March 08, 2017, 04:01:38 am »

Yet seriously... what is there to fight over?

At most it would be a cold war that exists... simply because the other is so powerful they cannot leave them be... and thus more arms.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3268 on: March 08, 2017, 04:21:18 am »

Yet seriously... what is there to fight over?
Ideological differences, of course. USA, Russia and China all want to be hegemonies, to dominate and rule over the world. Thus, they're natural enemies to each other.
._.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3269 on: March 08, 2017, 04:23:50 am »

But the Celestials from Aladdin the animated series will destroy them... (making posts at 4:30 am is a bad idea folks)
Pages: 1 ... 216 217 [218] 219 220 ... 3568