Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 209 210 [211] 212 213 ... 3569

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4243893 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Russia scandal evolution edition
« Reply #3150 on: March 06, 2017, 03:03:38 am »

Yes, but what if it gets confirmed later on by a non-bullshit news site?

EDIT: Or maybe not. Fucking hell, I knew I've seen his name before, why did I fail to remember him being a complete crank?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 03:30:08 am by Sergarr »
._.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3151 on: March 06, 2017, 03:50:36 am »

Man do you guys remember back when America was great?

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3152 on: March 06, 2017, 04:10:28 am »

Yes, back when the Europeans kept out of the native's affairs.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3153 on: March 06, 2017, 04:50:29 am »

* martinuzz fondly remembers the human sacrifices
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3154 on: March 06, 2017, 05:34:32 am »

By the way, the promises to promote American Russian manufacturing above that of other countries are going ahead, as planned.

(There are subtleties to that article that, from a Steel background in Britain, I could go into. But the real take-home point I have is "[it] had many loopholes, would not be easily enforceable, and could violate international trade law" should be contrasted with the travel ban, far too inflexible, all too easily disruptive and violates national and human rights laws as well. The pattern being that both are badly (or 'badly'?) written.)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 05:36:52 am by Starver »

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #3156 on: March 06, 2017, 03:41:48 pm »

Nuance is a good thing, people. The natives weren't, like, these super meditating gurus that could literally hear nature, but most of them didn't sacrifice other human beings.

Additionally, "the natives" aren't a homogeneous bunch. So perhaps Native Group A was pretty good, better than what we've got except minus the tech, and Native Group B went around killing everybody.

(And one could argue that increased technology tends to lead to a decrease in overall happiness; a more impersonal world, less connection to one's peers, and whatnot, which would remove the racial aspect of this entirely.)

But there's another aspect to this - Imic also appears to be saying that less interference between countries is better, especially when one country doesn't agree to it, and in the case that the interfered-with country is not committing any crimes against its citizens. Surely you agree.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #3157 on: March 06, 2017, 03:57:58 pm »

I would wonder what would happen should the European powers had been delayed in the development by a few hundred years. Would the America's have developed a stronger culture, or would they remained in their tribal groups without unification in any real, tangible manner that lasted?

Edoot: Arguably, the Aztecs were the most far along. But they also had latent internal issues that might have kept them from developing for a longer period of time.

Second doot: Arguably speaking further, the Native American population crashed hard as soon as European illnesses got thrown into the mix. Recovering from that, then attempting to form their own respective nations again would have been a monumental task.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 04:07:52 pm by birdy51 »
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3158 on: March 06, 2017, 04:05:43 pm »

Nuance is a good thing, people. The natives weren't, like, these super meditating gurus that could literally hear nature, but most of them didn't sacrifice other human beings.

Additionally, "the natives" aren't a homogeneous bunch. So perhaps Native Group A was pretty good, better than what we've got except minus the tech, and Native Group B went around killing everybody.

(And one could argue that increased technology tends to lead to a decrease in overall happiness; a more impersonal world, less connection to one's peers, and whatnot, which would remove the racial aspect of this entirely.)

But there's another aspect to this - Imic also appears to be saying that less interference between countries is better, especially when one country doesn't agree to it, and in the case that the interfered-with country is not committing any crimes against its citizens. Surely you agree.

No, I'm also fondly remembering the human sacrifices of the natives before the Europeans butted in on our business.

* scriver hoists Dozebum up in a tree and sacrifices them during the Midwinter Blot

I would wonder what would happen should the European powers had been delayed in the development by a few hundred years. Would the America's have developed a stronger culture, or would they remained in their tribal groups without unification in any real, tangible manner that lasted?

Edoot: Arguably, the Aztecs were the most far along. But they also had latent internal issues that might have kept them from developing for a longer period of time.

The "strength" of a culture (however that is measured, I'm not 100 on what you mean?) is irrelevant when the Europeans carry with them society-destabilizing-grade germs. 500 years later would mean another 500 years worth of disease mutation inflicted on the American populace.
Love, scriver~

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #3159 on: March 06, 2017, 04:12:36 pm »

Meh. I'm just sort of idly musing. I agree with you in that it might have not made a difference in the end.

Strength of culture though might measured in how many people consider themselves to be a part of a 'state'. The Aztecs had the strongest culture when the Europeans came, having controlled an exceptionally large portion of Mexico and a burgeoning beaucratic center. At the time, no one that I know of really matched the intensity and size of their nation.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #3160 on: March 06, 2017, 04:14:25 pm »

Welcome to 1800s anthroplogy, where society starts with hunter-gatherers and goes linearly to European, or else stays still.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3161 on: March 06, 2017, 04:20:05 pm »

It was rife with political turmoil tho, to the point cortez didn't have much of an issue getting several local allies to fight the core of the aztecs. Also I'm not sure I'd measure the strenght of a culture by how much people feel like they're a part of a state. I'd measure it by its ability to withstand the tide of change and contact with other cultures, specially those with greater military power or money. The roma, for example, still have their own culture and habits despite never having a state of their own, and the jews kept their cultural and spiritual identity strong for centuries despite not having an actual state of their own until recent times.

The sikh don't have a state of their own either (or even appear to have ambitions for one), but one can hardly deny how strong their cultural identity is.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 04:22:04 pm by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3162 on: March 06, 2017, 04:23:28 pm »

The aztecs didnt have a stable society at all, just a confederacy of lesser tribes that hated their guts.  Thats how what amounted basically to a  few rogue mercs were able to bring them down.  Maybe a couple of centuries would have changed that, but the centuries prior clearly hadn't.
The Incas were arguably more organized though. Maybe with more forewarning they could have performed better.  But then again the tech edge would have remained, and , like scriver said, it wouldn't have spared them from European plagues. .
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3163 on: March 06, 2017, 04:31:15 pm »

Another 500 years could also mean greatly increased population density and disease outbreaks naturally, which in turn means greater resistance to pathogens within the populace and ability to adapt to new diseases. It could also mean a change in philosophy and governing style within europe, as well as greater knowledge of medicine. Hell, five hundred years could mean native Americans taking the reverse Viking route to Europe.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3164 on: March 06, 2017, 04:32:17 pm »

CK2 is not a positive influence on the world.
Meh. I'm just sort of idly musing. I agree with you in that it might have not made a difference in the end.

Strength of culture though might measured in how many people consider themselves to be a part of a 'state'. The Aztecs had the strongest culture when the Europeans came, having controlled an exceptionally large portion of Mexico and a burgeoning beaucratic center. At the time, no one that I know of really matched the intensity and size of their nation.
Careful there laddo, don't be confusing culture and states. Otherwise, you'd be making all sorts of assumptions where the defeat of one state by another is a sign of the weakness or underdevelopment of it's "culture", rather than other factors (like guns! And boats! and gunboats!). Military conquest is military conquest first-and-foremost, after all, not a statement on the relative "cultural" development of one over the other (for examples: see Mongols, or the Liao Dynasty in China).

It was rife with political turmoil tho, to the point cortez didn't have much of an issue getting several local allies to fight the core of the aztecs. Also I'm not sure I'd measure the strenght of a culture by how much people feel like they're a part of a state. I'd measure it by its ability to withstand the tide of change and contact with other cultures, specially those with greater military power or money. The roma, for example, still have their own culture and habits despite never having a state of their own, and the jews kept their cultural and spiritual identity strong for centuries despite not having an actual state of their own until recent times.
I feel the need to note here that measuring the "strength" of a culture by its cohesiveness was one of the major contributers for the rise of anti-Semitism in late 19th century Germany, since Jews were "strong" and thus threatening to the unity and strength of the German nation (and "Germanness"). The Irony being that it's not nearly so clear-cut, as the existence of Yiddish should illustrate. By contrast, I might point to Greek: it's widely considered to be incredibly important and influential by most of the region around and near them, and yet they are clearly influenced by their surroundings as much as they influenced them (including, of course, Rome; with the Greeks carrying the torch of Rome long after Rome itself ceased to do so).
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: 1 ... 209 210 [211] 212 213 ... 3569