Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4221914 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: AmeriPol thread: Trump Immigration Boogaloo edition
« Reply #540 on: February 02, 2017, 12:59:09 am »

To be honest I think what Milo is doing is actually designed to cement battle lines than it is to foster discussion. To foster discussion you don't go about it the way he does, by putting up anti-trans posters "trannies are mentally ill" around the campus before your speech.
To foster discussion, does one place crucifixes in urine? Attacking what other groups consider sacred is controversial, fosters discussion and cements battle lines. It does all of these things, though I do not consider it respectful - what alternative is there to Milo? Conservatives have access to none, because they lost that battle, there is no line

Depends. Do you still support Trump today?

If no, of course not. Everyone can be wrong. We use evidence and reconsideration to become less wrong.

If yes, then it still doesn't make you a nazi. It makes you an idiot.
Seriously dude

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: February 02, 2017, 01:01:16 am »

Am I a fascist who needs to be attacked because I've been pro-Trump in this thread and elsewhere?

If no, of course not. Everyone can be wrong. We use evidence and reconsideration to become less wrong.

If yes, then it still doesn't make you a nazi. It makes you an idiot.

I'd say so. I don't like some of what he's done but it seems counterproductive to me to immediately start hating your chosen candidate when they do something you don't like. For example if we find ourselves at war with Iran that would be too much for me, but while I like the Iran deal and view it as meeting them halfway at disadvantage to ourselves as a step toward normalizing relations, I take losing it as an acceptable trade over what would have been President Clinton's policy toward Iraq and Syria.

Is that well reasoned enough for your liking, or am I just an idiot on principle?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 01:14:08 am by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: February 02, 2017, 01:06:59 am »

[...'s Internally]
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: February 02, 2017, 01:11:09 am »

Is that well reasoned enough for your liking, or am I just an idiot nazi on principle?
Given you cut out the part where PTTG?? still says you are not a Nazi for supporting trump, I'm pretty sure you know the answer. Ignoring what people say doesn't help your case.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: February 02, 2017, 01:13:18 am »

Is that well reasoned enough for your liking, or am I just an idiot nazi on principle?
Given you cut out the part where PTTG?? still says you are not a Nazi for supporting trump, I'm pretty sure you know the answer. Ignoring what people say doesn't help your case.

Not ignored, just missed the edit.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: February 02, 2017, 01:14:28 am »

The post wasn't edited.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #546 on: February 02, 2017, 01:14:37 am »

Last two sentences edited in after the first

*EDIT
For example, if you edit your post quick enough, it does not register as having been edited

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: February 02, 2017, 01:16:30 am »

Weird, my bad then.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #548 on: February 02, 2017, 01:16:51 am »

Am I a fascist who needs to be attacked because I've been pro-Trump in this thread and elsewhere?

I'd say so. I don't like some of what he's done but it seems counterproductive to me to immediately start hating your chosen candidate when they do something you don't like. For example if we find ourselves at war with Iran that would be too much for me, but while I like the Iran deal and view it as meeting them halfway at disadvantage to ourselves as a step toward normalizing relations, I take losing it as an acceptable trade over what would have been President Clinton's policy toward Iraq and Syria.

So do your powers only allow you to identify exactly what Hillary would have done, or does it include future events in our timeline? I presume it's both, because apparently you're able to forecast that a miracle will endow Trump with the mental capacity to turn his entire approach to governance around in order to do things like acknowledge that climate change is real, that the people he hurts with his magnificently incompetent executive orders are real, and maybe even a measure of diplomatic tact that exceeds the ham-fisted threats he's been doling out today.

And yeah, felt I needed to clarify the thought. I beg Baffler's pardon.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: February 02, 2017, 01:19:24 am »

12 pages of posts in a day.
I see the ameripol train did not slow down even if it ended abruptly earlier.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: February 02, 2017, 01:21:25 am »

Well, unfortunately, Americans live in interesting times. Pretty much crossing the states off as a place to immigrate to.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: February 02, 2017, 01:25:11 am »

Gentlemen, if I may-- you need to speak to each other, not past each other.

This election, I had to be a conscientious objector.  Clinton was waaay to gung-ho with her anti-russia, and anti-syria politics. She would most certainly have led the US to war, one way or another, with either or both of those countries. (Russia was openly saying if we elected her, THEY would declare. That is pretty damn compelling when a national government with a spy aparatus that rivals our own has such reservations. Surely they knew a shitload more than we did about her.) Trump is without question a very dangerous ideologue, who preaches a toxic sputum of national pride, protectionism, and chicanery that would destroy our country quickly. (and lo, it is doing exactly that.)

I could not, with a clear conscience, vote for EITHER of those two.  I would have voted for Bernie long before either of those two, but our political system saw that this would never happen.

Clearly I was not alone in this-- the number of abstainers in this election was very considerable.

This election then became the battle of which set of ideologues could win the EC. The Trumpists won. (We were fucked either way, IMO. Just leaving the kind of fucking up to others to decide. I wanted no part of that decision.)

I can see where both groups would accept their own, more comfortably known flavor of ass fucking over that offered by the rival.  That is not justification to pretend that your candidate would not have gone on an assfucking spree.  Both were primed and ready to do exactly that, in different ways.

If democracy failed this election, it is because our electorate is systemically ignorant, and suffers from idealism that blinds them to the truth.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #552 on: February 02, 2017, 01:32:04 am »

PTTG?? pls
There's no need for any of this, we can talk without passive aggressiveness or completely unnecessary assumptions on the moral character and mental capabilities of others, cos Ameripol threads tend to implode when people stick to that. Wastes Toady time, and people you disagree with are people too, not archetypes of villainy

Well, unfortunately, Americans live in interesting times. Pretty much crossing the states off as a place to immigrate to.
I dunno, Ameriland looks like the best developed nation to immigrate to still in my books. Europe is going to get done in by its domestic cells and demographic bombs, god knows where the UK is gonna end up with Brexit, Australia is full of mosquitoes and venomous creatures, China is overdue implosion, Russia is precarious and pending Putin replacement, Canada is acceptable, but USA has great weather, great economy, ironclad security but I worry that its food regulations are a bit... Abysmal.

If democracy failed this election, it is because our electorate is systemically ignorant, and suffers from idealism that blinds them to the truth.
Is there a truth, a way of cutting through this ignorance? Is there a way even, a wise electorate could break through such a system, especially in lieu of the simple power of money, and in light of such things as the DNC rigging against Bernie or the RNC being incapable of providing an alternative to Trump? If the truth is unknown, how can the truth be found? I don't mean this rhetorically, just interested

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: February 02, 2017, 01:33:08 am »

Doesn't help that the guy with less votes won, either.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: February 02, 2017, 01:37:03 am »

I dunno, Ameriland looks like the best developed nation to immigrate to still in my books. Europe is going to get done in by its domestic cells and demographic bombs, god knows where the UK is gonna end up with Brexit, Australia is full of mosquitoes and venomous creatures, China is overdue implosion, Russia is precarious and pending Putin replacement, Canada is acceptable, but USA has great weather, great economy, ironclad security but I worry that its food regulations are a bit... Abysmal.
Dude, Arab here. A country trying to roll back LGBT protections and while also making it pretty clear they wanna target arabs, at least from the top down is going to be off my list. And I say this even when spending time in Virginia really changed how I saw Americans as a loving and accepting people. It just feels like the government is run by that guy in the apesuit constantly holding a sign by a road in a traffic jam saying they need to bomb more arab countires and kick the muslims out.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 3566