Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4220287 times)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Trump Immigration Boogaloo edition
« Reply #435 on: February 01, 2017, 09:51:07 am »

Ah, that makes perfect sense. I was confusing his methodology with his brains. I watched the whole election stuff with wide eyed amazement that people were falling for his bullshit, and even now I'm in some shock that the USA elected a fucking Reality TV Star/Conspiracy Theory Believer to the highest office in the fucking land, but people are eternally disappointing I guess.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: February 01, 2017, 10:28:22 am »

Ah, that makes perfect sense. I was confusing his methodology with his brains. I watched the whole election stuff with wide eyed amazement that people were falling for his bullshit, and even now I'm in some shock that the USA elected a fucking Reality TV Star/Conspiracy Theory Believer to the highest office in the fucking land, but people are eternally disappointing I guess.
I mean, for what it's worth, he lost the popular vote and decently hard as that sort of thing goes, and even among the people that voted for him, a lot of 'em weren't voting for him, they were voting for the conservatives that were presumed to be rolling in alongside or specific policies they thought one of the two would implement. Not so much falling for his bullshit as just... not caring about most of it, or not caring enough to notice much of it, with a side of being submerged in all that the media did over the last handful of years. Which is a bit disappointing, but it's at least somewhat less so. maybe at least a little p.s. FTFE
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: February 01, 2017, 10:31:44 am »

The general vibe I've got from conversation is either (I live in the Bible belt, so some of this is stupidity, pure and unfiltered) :

-TRUMP IS DA BEST AND HE WILL GET RID OF THE MUSLIMS AND BROWN PEOPLE AND WILL BRING AMERICA TO GLORIOUS 1950'S ONCE AGAIN PRAISE BABY JESUS!!!

or

-I voted for Trump cuz he was the Shit Sandwich and not the Giant Douche.

or

-They were both shit and we were fucked either way
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: February 01, 2017, 10:32:52 am »

The Republicans voted to suspend committee rules and advanced the Mnuchin and Price nominations. Basically, the Democrats were boycotting those nominations by not being there and then the Republicans changed the rules (temporarily or permanently, I don't know) to advance the nominations, despite the Democrats having numerous and legitimate concerns on the two nominations.

@hanslanda: Weren't the 50's also a somewhat scary time for Americans, what with the start of the Cold War. Also bloody because Korean War.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 10:34:52 am by smjjames »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: February 01, 2017, 10:34:23 am »

I do wonder what will happen after Trump has deported 11 million Mexicans, and harvest season comes. Will the state force the children and elderly to work the lands, so the harvests get done?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: February 01, 2017, 10:44:15 am »

I do wonder what will happen after Trump has deported 11 million Mexicans, and harvest season comes. Will the state force the children and elderly to work the lands, so the harvests get done?

You're talking about 'Operation Wetback' (did they have to call it that? I'm aware that 'wetback' isn't a nice term for hispanics, but that's the name of it), right?

Also, this is interesting Barack Obama and Neil Gorsuch were apparently classmates at one point and actually know each other well. Plus, he's already confirmed him once, in 2006 for the Federal bench when he was still Senator.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: February 01, 2017, 10:45:26 am »

I mean, for what it's worth, he lost the popular vote and decently hard as that sort of thing goes, and even among the people that voted for him, a lot of 'em weren't voting for him, they were voting for the conservatives that were presumed to be rolling in alongside or specific policies they thought one of the two would implement. Not so much falling for his bullshit as just... not caring about most of it, or not caring enough to notice much of it, with a side of being submerged in all that the media did over the last handful of years. Which is a bit disappointing, but it's at least somewhat less so. maybe at least a little p.s. FTFE

There was also a not-insignificant amount of support from folks who just couldn't risk a Democrat appointee filling that vacant Supreme Court seat. As it is, the balance in the Court will probably remain pretty much where it has been for a long time (the last time a Justice was replaced with a radically different one was probably Ginsburg) since Gorsuch apparently isn't very far in judicial philosophy or political leaning from Scalia. Garland was an excellent pick by Obama that a lot of people who voted Trump would find acceptable, but everybody was certain that Clinton's choice would have been much more left-leaning.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: February 01, 2017, 10:50:23 am »

There was also a not-insignificant amount of support from folks who just couldn't risk a Democrat appointee filling that vacant Supreme Court seat. As it is, the balance in the Court will probably remain pretty much where it has been for a long time (the last time a Justice was replaced with a radically different one was probably Ginsburg) since Gorsuch apparently isn't very far in judicial philosophy or political leaning from Scalia. Garland was an excellent pick by Obama that a lot of people who voted Trump would find acceptable, but everybody was certain that Clinton's choice would have been much more left-leaning.

There was some pressure to have Clinton re-nominate Garland, but I forget if she had decided to go with her own choice or renominate Garland initially. Moot now anyway.

And yeah, her choice would have been quite a bit left leaning, however, they were counting on the Dems taking the Senate, which never happened anyway.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: February 01, 2017, 11:18:04 am »

most likely local zucchini etc will jump in price fivefold, making import from china the only way to fill costco/wallmart aisle at reasonable prices.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: February 01, 2017, 11:26:45 am »

And if we end up in a trade war with China?

Then no cheap zucchini for anybody.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: February 01, 2017, 11:49:29 am »

Looks like you're gonna' be moving to China, then. Good luck. Hopefully the immigration process won't take as long this time.
Ask not!
Ask!

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: February 01, 2017, 11:52:32 am »

And if we end up in a trade war with China?

Then no cheap zucchini for anybody.
Except for Russians! It's fun to be a satellite of an economically strong export-oriented technologically progressive country.
._.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: February 01, 2017, 12:32:43 pm »

But I like zucchini dammit.
Let the zucchinis(/courgettes) continue to mature, whilst the labour is unavailable, then import a load of cockneys to come and sing at the resulting marrows with a lot of implied innuendo...

There's a man lives down in the street I'd like you all to know
He grew a great big marrow for the local farmers show   
When the story got around, they came from far and wide
When they saw the size of it, all the ladies cried :

Oh, what a beauty! I've never seen one as big as that before!
Oh, what a beauty! It must be two foot long or even more.
Such a lovely colour, so nice and round and fat;
I never thought a marrow could grow as big as that.
Oh, what a beauty - I've never seen one as big as that before.

He was leaning on his garden gate the other day,
He beckoned to a lady who lived just across the way,
He took her down the garden path and showed her it with pride
When she saw the size of it that little lady cried :

Then the feller showed it again and everybody went
To see his great big marrow lying there inside the tent.
Then the judges came around to give the prizes out
They only took one look at it, and they began to shout :

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: February 01, 2017, 12:37:15 pm »

And here we see an example of the moral degeneracy of the working class, to remind us all of why nobility has maintained its rightful place in the social hierarchy for all these generations.
Ask not!
Ask!

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: February 01, 2017, 12:58:39 pm »

And here we see an example of the moral degeneracy of the working class, to remind us all of why nobility has maintained its rightful place in the social hierarchy for all these generations.

you jest but ruling oligarchy is the natural state toward which states tends to, because the vast majority hates managing and has other goals in life than political bickering. then they go on a power trip, famine ensues, people revolt etc, and the cycle continues.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 3566