Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4219914 times)

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Trump Immigration Boogaloo edition
« Reply #390 on: January 31, 2017, 05:20:27 pm »

I'd agree with that impression. It's nearly always appropriate for government officials to fall on their swords rather than do something they disagree with, but the thing about falling on a sword is that you don't get to keep holding your office afterwards.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: January 31, 2017, 05:30:00 pm »

You do get to call out your boss for unethical behavior, or encouraging unethical behavior, though, which is largely what the AG seemed to be going for in this case.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: January 31, 2017, 05:32:02 pm »

Hey that dollar slump will be great for the balance of trade, keep it up ... or down, as the case may be.

Although, as an anime watcher it's going to be hell for imported merch. Take that, Otaku.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: January 31, 2017, 05:38:03 pm »

Hey that dollar slump will be great for the balance of trade, keep it up ... or down, as the case may be.

Although, as an anime watcher it's going to be hell for imported merch. Take that, Otaku.

My brother works for a money changing company and says he's managing to tell when anything happens in politics these days by the way different currencies drop in value.  :P

Current times must be hell for the markets, a lot of normally stable currencies are a lot less reliable than they used to be.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: January 31, 2017, 06:18:21 pm »

I have some spare and heretofor unconsidered dollars that I'd like to be pounds.  Every time I think I'm on the good side of a temporary differential, I get cold feet as USD out-falls the GBP, or the GBP rallies just that little bit better and I groan a little internally at not actually getting it done a day or two earlier.

I've been seriously thinking of choosing a point where it looks a bad deal, because then I'm sure I'll get the reversion towards/beyond the mean as something new happens, whilst my (low-frequency) trade gradually chugs through the system.

[Amateur] Currency speculation! More 'fun' than the Lottery, less return than Premium Bonds!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 06:23:35 pm by Starver »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: January 31, 2017, 06:22:10 pm »

Unbelievably, I think I'd prefer Gorsuch to Hardiman for SCOTUS, because while Gorsuch is more conservative 538 suggests that Hardiman basically despises the First Amendment.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #396 on: January 31, 2017, 06:23:33 pm »

Politics are so hostile right now.  I don't care about a lot of the stuff, I just wish everyone loved each other and got along.  :(

everyone wants that, to bad everyone's definition of "love each other and get along" is different.
but, yeah all the "[other side] is evil we are good" sucks.
That mindset fails when an actually bad person arrives. Yeah, hostility sucks. But guess what? Passively letting authoritarian nationalists take power is also a pretty bad choice.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: January 31, 2017, 06:47:13 pm »

My brother works for a money changing company and says he's managing to tell when anything happens in politics these days by the way different currencies drop in value.  :P

Current times must be hell for the markets, a lot of normally stable currencies are a lot less reliable than they used to be.

Or perhaps when Trump says something, he's been making the Peso drop dramatically. I wonder if he even realizes that he's been doing that. Things are pretty volatile I guess because Trump has been talking about doing this to the current economic status quo:

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: January 31, 2017, 07:00:10 pm »

Cheaper Pesos don't have the effect Trump thinks it does.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: January 31, 2017, 07:12:09 pm »

Hmmm.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: January 31, 2017, 07:16:20 pm »

Most of those are political appointments. One can classify State Department staff into "political" and "career" buckets. Political ones are expected to change whenever the administration does.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #401 on: January 31, 2017, 07:23:05 pm »

That mindset fails when an actually bad person arrives. Yeah, hostility sucks. But guess what? Passively letting authoritarian nationalists take power is also a pretty bad choice.
You also gotta ask why half of America is actively helping authoritarian nationalists take power

Bad, good, my devil is my enemy's angel

Politics are so hostile right now.  I don't care about a lot of the stuff, I just wish everyone loved each other and got along.  :(
Politics will forever be hostile, in democracies it will be inwards, in autocracies it will be outwards, in plutocracies it will be plastered with cocaine. Do not live politically, one can live morally much more easily as a righteous person than attempting to live through politics

Look at it this way, the Democrats and Republicans do not get along together well at all, but any individual Democrat or Republican can be endeared neighbours

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: January 31, 2017, 07:44:19 pm »

Most of those are political appointments. One can classify State Department staff into "political" and "career" buckets. Political ones are expected to change whenever the administration does.
I thought it was interesting because I don't think any of those are close to being filled yet, which is pretty damn out there.

Also fun: https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/50/3021
The [National Security] Council shall be composed of—
(1) the President;
(2) the Vice President;
(3) the Secretary of State;
(4) the Secretary of Defense;
(5) the Secretary of Energy; and
(6) the Secretaries and Under Secretaries of other executive departments and of the military departments, when appointed by the President by and with the advice and consent of the Senate, to serve at his pleasure.
*scribbled handwriting underneath which seems oddly familiar*
(7) and my homeboy Bannon!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: January 31, 2017, 07:50:58 pm »

Having seen Trump's handwriting, it'd be more like A|| || ||||||Y B|||||!
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: January 31, 2017, 08:05:18 pm »

... are you saying he writes in a corrupted dialect of barcode?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 3566