Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3025 3026 [3027] 3028 3029 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4211195 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #45390 on: June 01, 2021, 04:44:59 am »

Is that because the speculative value of the land is higher than any property that might get put there now?

Also, what's the deal with housing projects emitting nitrogen? I'm not sure I follow.

Speculation is one reason, yes. Another big one is gentrification.
For example, in my street, which used to be a socal housing street (housing for low incomes, with max rent about 750 euros), every home that frees up is not rented out again, but sold.
It's not all bad, it's good to live in a mixed income street like that, but there aren't any new low income rental houses built anywhere to compensate.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 04:47:35 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45391 on: June 01, 2021, 09:24:19 am »

I'm of mixed opinion here. In order to discourage holding property without developing it when there is demand to develop it, I'd be in favor of an undeveloped property surtax.  However, I hate seeing undeveloped forests and meadows razed to put up cookie-cutter subdivisions, and then have more traffic and other issues associated with higher population density.

So you'd have to balance it maybe with laws about required percent of any given area that must be green space, or population density laws or something.

More fundamentally - I just want to see society understand "profit" in something other than just currency units.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #45392 on: June 01, 2021, 09:58:36 am »

My country is so small that there is no meaningful subdivision possible between 'nature' and 'population'.
We have no undeveloped forest left here, haven't had that for more than 300 years haha.

It can be hard to grasp the (non-) scale of my country for someone from a country that actually still has some undeveloped or at least sparsely developed nature.
A good metaphor I like to use to describe it:
At any point in the Netherlands, if you are dropped there in the middle of the night in a 'forested' area, all you have to do is to walk 15 minutes in a random direction, and you'll hit a road or housing area. The exception might be our 'national park', the Hoge Veluwe. You might need to walk 30 minutes. It's not original nature though. It was planted by hand a few centuries ago as hunting grounds for our Royals.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 10:00:15 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45393 on: June 01, 2021, 11:44:30 am »

They WONT do that of course;  It would be direct competition with municipal bus services, or with state-subsidized taxi service.
They also do not want to accept the legal restrictions that would be placed on them; this is what the company has been avoiding from the beginning. Their base model was to put all liability and insurance on the driver, so the company has legal recourse to avoid all instances of blame for events involving their drivers.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Flying Teasets

• Bay Watcher
  • another nation, or a non-governmental entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #45394 on: June 05, 2021, 03:27:07 am »

Ayy lmao
Flying Teasets is stricken by melancholy!

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #45395 on: June 05, 2021, 07:08:28 am »

I wonder what moderate Republicans thinks about Joe Manchin for a freedoms 3rd party? Has there been discussions? That would be neat. Like the Libertarian party but not that of course because it doesn''t seem to work. For some reason it reminds me of a South Park episode I can't really recall... it's very vague. I should watch more of that show so I can be more accurate on the internet about the TV show I watched. :)

EDIT: Another thought is that if Joe Manchin is unpalatable, there are some young-ish Republicans I see on TV a (too few slots to speak I think?) few times now and then displaying, in my opinion, character.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2021, 07:51:18 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45396 on: June 05, 2021, 11:41:30 am »

I wonder what everyone else thinks about the (theoretical) future Presidency of the current Secretary Of State. We should only ever vocally refer to him via his first initial and surname, to really confuse the sound archives of the future...

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #45397 on: June 05, 2021, 12:05:06 pm »

It'd be a solid jive, but what you really want to do is mandate every president has to change their name to that of a previous president while in office. Nevermind A. Bliken, they will all be George Washington, or whatever.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45398 on: June 05, 2021, 12:07:24 pm »

George Washington is an immortal, and simply body swaps every 4 years.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #45399 on: June 05, 2021, 12:39:39 pm »

No no, make it so they have to change their full legal name into the number of their current presidency so everyone only refers to them as the 45th, 46th, etc.

And if they manage a second term then just update the number.

Entirely dehumanize the fuckers, they're no longer a person representing the country but a numbered drone, carrying out it's function in service to society.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #45400 on: June 05, 2021, 12:50:28 pm »

George, you did not age gracefully.

Does leadership work if it's entirely estranged from the personality directing it? Could managers manage if their directives were entirely normalized?

We'd have a 'cult of 45' worse than we do now, I'd reckon, and a fervency stronger than than those still waiting on that next Q drop.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #45401 on: June 05, 2021, 01:02:12 pm »

I'd argue that 45 wouldn't even happen, because why would a self-centered prick of his caliber that has to put his name on everything he touches even run if he couldn't slap his name on the presidency?
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #45402 on: June 05, 2021, 01:17:25 pm »

Hm. Take the name away, and you still have "45 is calling on 2nd Amendment patriots to defend freedom from liberal rioters at the Capitol." I'd reckon some other GOP weasel would progress the party's tailspin, but there's no undoing that now for certain that the party is still banking on all the voters that cast their lot behind hatred and fear of the other over any real policy.

Or maybe you wouldn't have "45 is calling on patriots etc etc" if they've got the same canned messages to use for everything, but somehow that makes me fear that we'd slip a little closer to the faceless oligarchy we dance so intimately with already.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #45403 on: June 07, 2021, 12:21:06 am »

I wonder what moderate Republicans thinks about Joe Manchin for a freedoms 3rd party?

Manchin wouldn't be a good fit for creating a party calved-off from the GOP, precisely because he's already in that political space. He might wind up in such a party, but he does not bring enough to the table to give it appeal.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45404 on: June 07, 2021, 11:09:19 am »

I wonder what moderate Republicans thinks about Joe Manchin for a freedoms 3rd party? Has there been discussions?

No matter who or what your third party is, you can never get away from the fact that in a First Past The Post voting system, you'll always end up consolidating down to two big-tent parties.

The only way to have >2 parties sustainably is some other kind of voting system, like ranked choice voting or runoffs.
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Pages: 1 ... 3025 3026 [3027] 3028 3029 ... 3566