Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 885 886 [887] 888 889 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4196366 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

... though in other news, the president has apparently touched down in peurto rico and spoken. Sweet fucking tone deaf hell.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile

We got the president we deserved, even if he is not the president we needed.

Will we, as a nation, learn from this?

Probably not. (indicating that we deserve even worse than him, until we get something so bad that we will actually learn the lesson.)

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Or we could fix it, you know.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What do you think we've been trying to do for the last 50 years?
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What do you think we've been trying to do for the last 50 years?

Same thing we've been trying to do for the past 241 years in this country and the past few thousand years in general. That's why it's not worse. This is a continuous process, and it's really hard. That's why it's not better.

I'm not saying this is a new idea. I'm saying that sitting in our armchairs and declaring that the country deserves everything that's happening to it because they aren't as smart as we think we are is a good way to justify doing nothing, but doesn't actually fix anything, so I don't want to do it.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile

I think the former Vice President of CBS is a great barometer for the state of our proud culture.

That was a woman who knew exactly how far and fast things like mass media can take an idea, and she did not think there would be any downside to the things she said, because Republicans aren't people. She, based on her experience at the top of mass media and the culture we've built around it, figured this would be fine.

That's what has to change before this will stop.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

I think the former Vice President of CBS is a great barometer for the state of our proud culture.

That was a woman who knew exactly how far and fast things like mass media can take an idea, and she did not think there would be any downside to the things she said, because Republicans aren't people. She, based on her experience at the top of mass media and the culture we've built around it, figured this would be fine.

*shrug* I've seen same or worse comments from the other side. Not that I'm defending what she said (I like alt-country, for instance), but the outrage from the Right seems a bit selective.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

*shrug* I've seen same or worse comments from the other side. Not that I'm defending what she said (I like alt-country, for instance), but the outrage from the Right seems a bit selective.

Yeah, see, that's exactly my point. It's not any one side, it's our entire identity as a nation.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

In my personal experience, when two people whom are supposed to be working together -- even if they occasionally disagree -- get to the point where hateful invective is the normal form of discourse......it's time for a divorce.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Or change on a personal level, but that's harder innit?

Which really is what we would need to collectively do in order to make meaningful change in our culture.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Which really is what we would need to collectively do in order to make meaningful change in our culture.

Okay. How do we do that? Or, more meaningfully, how do we get the majority of the people to perceive that as their best option?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Wait another few years since the majority of the people already kinda' do, it's just that our system and human psychology in general has some kinks when rapid change gets involved.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Okay. How do we do that? Or, more meaningfully, how do we get the majority of the people to perceive that as their best option?

The truth? I have no idea. I can affect myself, and that's what I do. But I don't need to have a solution in hand in order to perceive the root of the problem.

Wait another few years since the majority of the people already kinda' do, it's just that our system and human psychology in general has some kinks when rapid change gets involved.

I think this is accurate, but I haven't seen a majority lean towards that, not yet (personal observation only). To use some righteous fortune cookie wisdom, it's about being an example rather than an observer.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Work is handing out "You are beautiful" stickers and putting placards up in front of the building in response to all this.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 885 886 [887] 888 889 ... 3566